Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Nikola Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They had what $800m of cash after the float? they tried to use that and a name to buy vehicle production from GM but that fell apart, so now they have to create a business out of whatever is left thats somehow valued at several billion... a few dozen rebadged trucks wont do it.

Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort) (Arkes & Blumer, 1985). This fallacy, which is related to loss aversion and status quo bias, can also be viewed as bias resulting from an ongoing commitment.

For example, individuals sometimes order too much food and then over-eat just to “get their money’s worth”. Similarly, a person may have a $20 ticket to a concert and then drive for hours through a blizzard, just because she feels that she has to attend due to having made the initial investment. If the costs outweigh the benefits, the extra costs incurred (inconvenience, time or even money) are held in a different mental account than the one associated with the ticket transaction (Thaler, 1999).

Research suggests that rats, mice and humans are all sensitive to sunk costs after they have made the decision to pursue a reward (Sweis et al., 2018).

Arkes, H. R., & Blumer, C. (1985), The psychology of sunk costs. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 35, 124-140.

Sweis, B. M., Abram, S. V., Schmidt, B. J., Seeland, K. D., MacDonald, A. W., Thomas, M. J., & Redish, A. D. (2018). Sensitivity to “sunk costs” in mice, rats, and humans. Science, 361(6398), 178-181.

Thaler, R. H. (1999). Mental accounting matters. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 12, 183-206.

That's a very good answer.

And then, of course, there are tons of people that simply don't understand the underlying technology and think the stock is still worth something based on today's knowledge of the company. I include professional investors in that basket.
Yep. Just like there were a lot of "smart" people who continued to believe and invest in a medical equipment startup (whose founder and CEO is on trial currently in San Jose) even though there were warning signs about the viability of the underlying technology, let alone the company's ability to develop that technology.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yep. Just like there were a lot of "smart" people who continued to believe and invest in a medical equipment startup (whose founder and CEO is on trial currently in San Jose) even though there were warning signs about the viability of the underlying technology, let alone the company's ability to develop that technology.
Ah yes, Theranos and its CEO, Elizabeth Holmes. There is a great documentary out about this now called 'The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley'.

Supposedly they're going to pay the SEC off with some of that cash. (edit: Credit mltv for posting that tweet)

Then they can focus on hooking a greater fool to buy the garbage they're pedaling. They had GM for a while.

They had what $800m of cash after the float? they tried to use that and a name to buy vehicle production from GM but that fell apart, so now they have to create a business out of whatever is left thats somehow valued at several billion... a few dozen rebadged trucks wont do it.

$125M fine for NKLA.

Nikola Corporation will pay a $125 million penalty to settle charges against founder Trevor Milton, who misled investors and is currently under indictment for three counts of fraud.

$317M so far.

• Informative
Reactions: mltv
What's ironic is that he gained all his 'wealth, lifestyle and spending habits' duping investors and now he wants the judge to block evidence related to that.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Trevor Milton can burn in hell for all I care, but I agree that evidence of his lifestyle would be prejudicial and not probative.

I expect the wealthy to spend their money lavishly, whether they acquired it via fraud or not.

I hope the judge doesn't agree with you. Although I agree that one's lavish lifestyle would prejudicially affect a jury (what kind of plebian wouldn't hate how the rich live their lives?), that "lifestyle" is part of his grift and is the very evidence of his fraud. The two can not and should not be separated.

I hope the judge doesn't agree with you. Although I agree that one's lavish lifestyle would prejudicially affect a jury (what kind of plebian wouldn't hate how the rich live their lives?), that "lifestyle" is part of his grift and is the very evidence of his fraud. The two can not and should not be separated.

I'm quite certain there is adequate direct evidence of Mr. Milton's fraudulent activities.