Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you didn't provide advice, I certainly appreciated the note as I was able to finally buy in. It is funny, but I'm only investing in QS due to JB being on the board. I plan to do a deep dive this weekend. Working with him at Tesla was such an honor and I'm happy to put money into his ventures.

Be wary of any startup--when does their lockup expire? That MIGHT be a better time to buy shares.

I have no knowledge, one way or another, of QS.

Be wary of any startup--when does their lockup expire? That MIGHT be a better time to buy shares.

I have no knowledge, one way or another, of QS.

Great point. I came to the conclusion that they are in about maximum hype phase and a long time before anything materializes, so I'm going to wait a while to see if the dust settles a bit and it gets down into the teens or lower.

Great point. I came to the conclusion that they are in about maximum hype phase and a long time before anything materializes, so I'm going to wait a while to see if the dust settles a bit and it gets down into the teens or lower.

Yes, that said, anything with such august Tesla alumni on board is likely a good bet.

But then I looked up the chart for QS and am left confused: who works there that's a Tesla alum?

qs stock chart - Google Search

I don't see the story here, especially if VW doesn't survive in the long term. I think I'll stay with TSLA shares . . . .

Reactions: WarpedOne

They just went public last week, so it will be a few months before the lockup period ends. Yes, they are still in product development mode and it will be a while before they start earning revenue. But good timing on their part to go public while there is a lot of buzz about EVs, batteries.

I bought a few shares, just as a crap shoot. I know nothing about the company, valuation, outstanding shares, nothing. I figure it's worth a small bet on the future. No big deal if nothing comes of it. But I like the space they are in and the people involved.

Yes, that said, anything with such august Tesla alumni on board is likely a good bet.

But then I looked up the chart for QS and am left confused: who works there that's a Tesla alum?

qs stock chart - Google Search

I don't see the story here, especially if VW doesn't survive in the long term. I think I'll stay with TSLA shares . . . .

JB Straubel is a board member.

They just went public last week, so it will be a few months before the lockup period ends. Yes, they are still in product development mode and it will be a while before they start earning revenue. But good timing on their part to go public while there is a lot of buzz about EVs, batteries.

I bought a few shares, just as a crap shoot. I know nothing about the company, valuation, outstanding shares, nothing. I figure it's worth a small bet on the future. No big deal if nothing comes of it. But I like the space they are in and the people involved.
I have a small position in them as a Tesla edge/bet on EVs in general. JB's presence has me convinced they are at least serious and legitimate.

If TSLA maintains a battery lead then I win (my assumption). If they lag and QS nails it then I don't lose.

I have a small position in them as a Tesla edge/bet on EVs in general. JB's presence has me convinced they are at least serious and legitimate.

If they deliver on what they are claiming they will be a huge player in the new economy.

Best in class batteries with highest density, fastest recharge, no chance of thermal runaway and lowest cost is what they are promising in about three years.

Would LOVE to see that.

I have a small position paid for by what I sold after the ticker changed.

If TSLA maintains a battery lead then I win (my assumption). If they lag and QS nails it then I don't lose.

Makes sense!

Or QS nails solid state batteries, and Tesla acquires them for a huge premium and leverages their tech to increase their lead.

All good scenarios.

. I agree exactly. Bought a small position today as a hedge if they have a major tech advantage that Tesla misses.

All this QS talk.

On the one hand, JB joined the board. On the other, Tesla could have just bought them out cheaply. Acquisitions came up on one of the calls, and Elon asked (paraphrase), "who should we buy out? if there's anyone we should buy, please let us know." Tesla does their homework - they know all of their competitors.

We need more batteries. It's not like an awesome new battery company kills Tesla. I mean, we all cheer when we find out Tesla is signing all of these battery contracts to eat up the supply. Some people even think Tesla shouldn't be in the business of making batteries.

The contrarian in me has alarm bells going off about QS. I have no position and have no plan to take one, short or long. I wish them the best of luck.

All this QS talk.

On the one hand, JB joined the board. On the other, Tesla could have just bought them out cheaply. Acquisitions came up on one of the calls, and Elon asked (paraphrase), "who should we buy out? if there's anyone we should buy, please let us know." Tesla does their homework - they know all of their competitors.

We need more batteries. It's not like an awesome new battery company kills Tesla. I mean, we all cheer when we find out Tesla is signing all of these battery contracts to eat up the supply. Some people even think Tesla shouldn't be in the business of making batteries.

The contrarian in me has alarm bells going off about QS. I have no position and have no plan to take one, short or long. I wish them the best of luck.

Ok I bought KCAC at $15 and sold KCAC/QS yesterday at $43. Small amount. Put the proceeds into TSLA. Knew it would pop on the IPO and sold.

They have been researching solid state since 2011. When you really look at this there still is a pretty intensive process to produce solid state batteries. Not clear the specs will beat what Tesla revealed on battery day. No current production and nothing planned until 2024.

When do you think Tesla started looking at the 4680 cell? It certainly wasn't before 2011. Likely 2018-2019, they have a pilot line currently and in process to launch production in 2021.

Easy decision for me.

Completely agree. If you’re happy with the size of your TSLA position, it makes sense to “hedge” by lookiother EV related positions. No doubt Tesla will be the big dog, but they will probably have 25-35% of the mature EV market, so that still leaves a lot of the pie to be carved out...

QS on paper sounds promising, and everyone else is gonna need batteries, and with JB on the board and backing from Gates, why not have at least small stake? I’ve also got small positions in lithium and nickel producers.
I’m also “hedging” with XPEV in case they can undercut Tesla’s mid to lower priced cars (rather than Nio which to me is currently confined to a niche upscale car market that Tesla fills more than adequately) and if they can somehow make Lidar work. If anyone can get Lidar prices down to feasible levels, it’s the Chinese.

(Heads up tho, sounds like there’s a chance Chinese stocks could become delisted in the US. I don’t think they will and view this as a buying opportunity if they crash...
House Passes China Delisting Bill, Sending to Trump for Approval. What That Means for Investors.)

Whoever you decide to back, you can still come out as a win-win here if Tesla and others all prosper together, and that’s the great thing about these so-called “hedges”. You can be all in on Tesla’s mission, while not being all-in on TSLA...

Edit: if you’re not happy with the size of your TSLA position, just keep adding to that.

QS on paper sounds promising, and everyone else is gonna need batteries, and with JB on the board and backing from Gates, why not have at least small stake? I’ve also got small positions in lithium and nickel producers.

I bought a small stake in QS, 50 shares if I recall, but even if they have a pilot line functional in 2023, 3 things stand out to me that make me think it will be inconsequential to Tesla:
1. How long would it take to go from a pilot line to a battery gigafactory? At least a year, and then how long to significantly ramp production?
2. Where is Tesla's battery tech going to be by then? It will be very close to the energy capacity that solid state is promising, IMO.
3. Which car manufacturers are going to trust the new ss tech first? How many EV's will they produce in 2023? 2024? 2025? It's not like solid state will Osborne lithium ion overnight.

I bought a small stake in QS, 50 shares if I recall, but even if they have a pilot line functional in 2023, 3 things stand out to me that make me think it will be inconsequential to Tesla:
1. How long would it take to go from a pilot line to a battery gigafactory? At least a year, and then how long to significantly ramp production?
2. Where is Tesla's battery tech going to be by then? It will be very close to the energy capacity that solid state is promising, IMO.
3. Which car manufacturers are going to trust the new ss tech first? How many EV's will they produce in 2023? 2024? 2025? It's not like solid state will Osborne lithium ion overnight.

QS is not a threat to Tesla. VW has 300 million in QS, so you would think they are first in line.

For the next twenty years all batteries made will have a market as long as they hit a certain price and performance point. Tesla was already there before battery day I believe. Let’s hope they have a lot of company.

I bought a few Dec21 45c. Mostly just to keep my interest in watching the company. I know it’s a while before the company makes a product, so this is highly speculative that they have a positive announcement by next year.