Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the problem with Tesla battery fans and people investing or interested in other products? No way is VW and other auto manufacturers going to use Tesla batteries in their EVs. So what if there are going to be competing technologies and suppliers out there. Elon and Tesla encourage that in fact. Worldwide there is a huge market and it's not all going to be all Tesla. We're a Tesla family (2 Teslas, Solar and PWs and have Tesla stock--long term holders) so it's not that I am not a Tesla fan but come on. Not everything needs to be compared to Tesla -- to what end? I would think that JB stating they have a breakthough in solid state development and being on their Board should give QS more credibility, here especially. Sometimes I feel like I'm back on the school playgound. Would be nice if this thread could focus on the company and it's product development as time goes on.

I think there will continue to be a lot of players in this field and with the ultimate goal of all new cars being EVs, plenty of room to grow. Simplifying manufacturing beyond having a solid working product will reduce costs and garner solid sales if production can keep up to demand. It's a big sandbox.

Last edited:
Wh/L is an interesting way to put it but I'm also curious about the Wh/kg. 800 cycles at near-room temperature with over 90% capacity retention is very good.
When people say energy density they usually mean specific energy (Wh/kg), but energy density is literally the amount of energy per unit volume or Wh/liter. At this point Wh/l and cycle life are probably more important for EVs than Wh/kg, but the opposite is true for applications like aircraft.

I have not seen a specific energy spec for QS, but articles say Singh claims >400 Wh/kg. They show a generic chart with NMC811 cathode and Li metal anode a bit above 400 Wh/kg, but that doesn't relate to any specific cell they have made and tested.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
CEO of Bill Gates-backed EV battery startup expects major breakthrough in 2021

"The eight- to 10-layer cell will happen by year end. We don't want to set expectations too high," Singh said. "We have been fortunate so far that the goals we have set, we have been able to meet. The single layer cell announcement, this multilayer announcement, is ahead of what anybody was expecting. The eight- to 10-layer cell we are targeting by year end. If we make that year end milestone, we are on track to delivering cells to customers in 2022."

Now this was interesting news. I missed reading about the Quantumscape vs Fisker lawsuit when it came out last month in The Verge. The suit can be read on Scribd at the bottom of the article.

Fisker quietly settled trade secret spat with VW-backed battery company

I did however see Henrik Fisker’s announcement in this subsequent article published the day after the above one was published by The Verge where Fisker was dropping solid-state battery tech because the last 10% leg was too difficult. Hmm.

Fisker Inc. has "completely dropped" solid-state batteries

Wonder if Choi has been sued.

Below is The Verge’s article from March 18, 2019 when Fisker announced their solid-state battery EMotion vehicle would be delayed. Quantumscape’s lawsuit was filed April 12, 2019. Choi would be fired in April and Albano, their battery expert left or was fired in May of 2019.

Henrik Fisker delays his luxury sports car and announces "mass-market" electric SUV

Last edited:
I stumbled on ILIKF reading comments on WSJ article regarding QS, another solid state battery company but I believe actually making batteries for IOT. Appears to have plans for larger applications.

Too funny. On another thread (What other tech stock to consider?) I just talked up the London AIM stock exchange saying that it is probably a good place to find growth companies whose valuation isn't sky high yet. And IKIKF listed on the London AIM about a year ago.

For good due diligence (I haven't read these yet):

Here's their Placing Circular (like an IPO prospectus in the US): https://www.ilika.com/images/uploads/downloads/Placing-Circular.pdf

Latest financial reports: Financial Reports | Ilika

More investor presentations, etc.: Downloads | Ilika

On ILIKF - well ... they currently have a pretty small market, tiny medical grade batteries in the 250 µAh size. They are building a new manufacturing line for these tiny cells, which should be operational this year.

For their big automotive useful cells, their pilot line can produce 1 kWh of cells per week. By next year sometime, it'll be a whopping 10 kWh per week. They hope to reach 5 MWh per week by 2024.

Let's see, by 2024, cells should be in the $100/kWh range. So 5 MWh/week = 250 MWh/year. Or 250,000 KWh/year, or $25M in revenue. That's not a lot for a company sporting a $436M market cap today.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
On ILIKF - well ... they currently have a pretty small market, tiny medical grade batteries in the 250 µAh size. They are building a new manufacturing line for these tiny cells, which should be operational this year.

For their big automotive useful cells, their pilot line can produce 1 kWh of cells per week. By next year sometime, it'll be a whopping 10 kWh per week. They hope to reach 5 MWh per week by 2024.

Let's see, by 2024, cells should be in the $100/kWh range. So 5 MWh/week = 250 MWh/year. Or 250,000 KWh/year, or $25M in revenue. That's not a lot for a company sporting a $436M market cap today.
Glad I only invested a small amount...

Glad I only invested a small amount...

Be aware that the kind of fundamental analysis that I just did above is only valid for long term viability. And only if the company doesn't change course. And in the short term, battery companies can get hotter or not.

Tl;dr: Just because the analysis is sound, doesn't mean the stock price will reflect it :)

Market manipulation anyone? In case anyone is wondering why QS went from $64 to $58.50 after hours today:
7949BE4C-8967-4414-B0BF-CFFD85A5766D.jpeg