Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shares are up pre-market on news that QS cell testing by Volkswagen in Germany met their milestone and they have added additional funds.

Another article I saw in news this morning mentioned that German auto supplier Continental and Chinese automaker SAIC Motor have also invested in the company. I don’t recall seeing them mentioned previously and was wondering if they came on board after the recent share offering that quickly closed out.

Last edited:
On Cramer’s Mad Money today, April 1, he had an interview segment with Jagdeep on reaching testing milestone with VW and the additional funds VW put in. I only caught the end but should be able to catch on repeat (cnbc app or youtube cnbc channel—not posted yet). This was about 30 minutes or so into the show.

Last edited:

Since Bloomberg won’t let us robots see a preview:

QuantumScape says its technology is ready to move from the lab to VW’s dealerships. But this secretive startup is very familiar with failure.​
By Akshat Rathi
From Bloomberg Green and Hyperdrive
April 14, 2021​

Rather superficial article despite its length — perhaps understandable since QS isn’t about to disclose any secrets yet. Slings some mud at Tesla aa it passes.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and JRP3
File this in the "for what it's worth" category: Short seller Scorpion Capital just published a 188-page research report and announced a short position in QuantumScape.

"We conducted 15 in-depth research interviews, including 9 former R&D employees, 4 leading solid-state battery experts, and 2 employees in Volkswagen’s EV battery effort. Our research leads us to conclude that the company is no different than other recently exposed SPAC promotions and EV frauds."

Report - (Scorpion Capital)

I read that Scorpion Capital short report. Holy crap, that thing looks like it was written by the Unabomber on meth. Random words highlighted, bizarre font sizes and colors, underlining and boldface everywhere. Rants going on and on and on for page after page after page. Their points may be totally correct (or not) but this thing is so badly written nobody will pay attention. Totally amateur.

Reactions: SpaceAggie
New Board member brought on.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Slowly reading through the volume of slides of Scorpions “report”. Does not convey a professional report and more like something coming from a 20-something internet self-professed analyst on a youtube channel.

From Page 1 disclaimer:
“Although Scorpion Capital LLC does not expect to announce in the future any changes to its opinion concerning QS, that is subject to change at any time. Following publication of this report, Scorpion Capital LLC (and/or its principals, members, partners, affiliates, employees, consultants, clients, investors, and/or related party entities or vehicles) intends to continue transacting in QS’s stock, and may cover its short position and/or be long, short, or neutral at any time hereafter regardless of the views stated herein. “

Article on QuantumScape and Scorpion from InsideEVs.

BTW Cramer had Jagdeep on his Mad Money show today to respond to the Scorpion piece. If you are a CNBC Pro subscriber, the interview is posted on CNBC’s site (not a subscriber).

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and ReddyLeaf
Actually I remember Sandy talking about QuantumScape back in his December 2020 video (what the auto industry isn't telling you about Tesla). He said he thought QS would have something out in 2 years. Look forward to any updates he has on it. Sounds like he wants to test batteries for some of his project accounts.

Here's a link to the Q1 report and webcast. As for the webcast you'll need to register and link through email to listen: QuantumScape - Investor Relations

During Q&A Jagdeep goes into why QS has focused on the cell for now instead of the production end and why he thinks that's the better approach. They did recently lease a larger space for production and R&D and hope to be in there by year end. I got distracted during the call and will listen to it later. I thought I heard him answer someone's question on if there was liquid being used and believe he said from the cathode side to the separator there was but none from the separator to where the in-situ anode will be. Maybe someone can speak to that. I know people have been curious about that aspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceAggie
Actually I remember Sandy talking about QuantumScape back in his December 2020 video (what the auto industry isn't telling you about Tesla). He said he thought QS would have something out in 2 years. Look forward to any updates he has on it. Sounds like he wants to test batteries for some of his project accounts.

Here's a link to the Q1 report and webcast. As for the webcast you'll need to register and link through email to listen: QuantumScape - Investor Relations

During Q&A Jagdeep goes into why QS has focused on the cell for now instead of the production end and why he thinks that's the better approach. They did recently lease a larger space for production and R&D and hope to be in there by year end. I got distracted during the call and will listen to it later. I thought I heard him answer someone's question on if there was liquid being used and believe he said from the cathode side to the separator there was but none from the separator to where the in-situ anode will be. Maybe someone can speak to that. I know people have been curious about that aspect.
Yes, Quantumscape uses an "organic gel catholyte" per their FAQ. Their ceramic separator prevents the catholyte from reacting with the lithium on the anode side.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf