Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is the market cap of this company? I'm seeing 28.8M shares outstanding at $55ish or $1.44B. That's what CNBC shows. Google shows $600M. Someone in the main thread corrected me this morning saying it's $18B(which is what it says on Yahoo). I'm assuming the 28.8M shares is accurate so it's around $1.5B as we sit here at $54.97.

Sold half mine today @ $55 up 68%. May buy back in if nothing changes by the price drops by half.

Yeah, does not seem too impressive. 300 miles - have today, 15 min charging - more or less today. The only advantage seems better safety (but his does not seem a problem in practice any more).

And all this in 5 plus years... Meh... I actually bought some shares before, will probably sell them soon - at some profit, but this does not seem it was hyped up to be.

Yeah, does not seem too impressive. 300 miles - have today, 15 min charging - more or less today. The only advantage seems better safety (but his does not seem a problem in practice any more).

And all this in 5 plus years... Meh... I actually bought some shares before, will probably sell them soon - at some profit, but this does not seem it was hyped up to be.

With current market cap of $15B and the time cost to get into production in 2025 for 20 GWH, the returns are not high enough for me until a few year out with production. I hope they just shift all energy on production as it is 1,000X harder and cut the time-line in half and 2X the production. To me this is all that matters at this point as there is demand and with the market cap enough resources. I will monitor their progress on this.

It's okay if it pops short term if that's against your thesis. That's just luck and gambling. What matters is the longterm outlook at the opportunity cost of investing in QuantumScape over other places from a risk/adjusted POV.

IMO, there are better places to put your money.

Seems too little too late. Wonder if their charge time is even better than Tesla 4680 especially with LFP seeming to tolerate higher charge rate for longer. And you need a supercharger network for it to be relevant. Energy density seems nice, but in 2025 Tesla should be near EVTOL-levels also. 20GWh is a lot less than Tesla today, by 2025 Tesla intends to do magnitudes more.

Sure it’s a great development and cool new technology. But clever engineering putting together current technology and scaling it will likely give ~similar specs and better $/kWh. Maybe it will be useful for some applications such as EVTOL, drones etc, but don’t think it will save VW from Giga Berlin Model 2 brutalizing their income statement.

So, I had randomly purchased a few 100 shares at around $38 because I saw the CEO interview. Should I just sell and take profit or hold? Seems like some short term drop is inevitable. Maybe I sell some covered calls instead.

Seems too little too late. Wonder if their charge time is even better than Tesla 4680 especially with LFP seeming to tolerate higher charge rate for longer. And you need a supercharger network for it to be relevant. Energy density seems nice, but in 2025 Tesla should be near EVTOL-levels also. 20GWh is a lot less than Tesla today, by 2025 Tesla intends to do magnitudes more.

Sure it’s a great development and cool new technology. But clever engineering putting together current technology and scaling it will likely give ~similar specs and better $/kWh. Maybe it will be useful for some applications such as EVTOL, drones etc, but don’t think it will save VW from Giga Berlin Model 2 brutalizing their income statement.

The 4680 battery will perform almost as well as a QS battery. The main difference is the taper at the end is better with QS, but delivering charging stations to fill a QS battery at full speed would be difficult as well. 400kw is probably going to be good enough for vehicles up to and about the size of the cybertruck.

They demonstrated 80% capacity after 800 cycles. That's fine for regular cars. Heck I doubt my Model 3 will be at 80% at that point (it's at 91% at 28k miles). But that won't cut it for commercial trucks (needs ~3000 cycles) or stationary storage (needs ~10000 cycles).

The 4680 battery will perform almost as well as a QS battery. The main difference is the taper at the end is better with QS, but delivering charging stations to fill a QS battery at full speed would be difficult as well. 400kw is probably going to be good enough for vehicles up to and about the size of the cybertruck.

I believe it will all come down to manufacturing cost. And the presentation today covered NONE of that. As an investor, that left me wanting a lot more information.