Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incidentally, am I allowed to gloat that Rivian has had to hire outside help to figure out how to design/build their car for manufacturing? While Tesla figured it out from the get go without outside help? I seem to remember some snide and pointed comments from RJ a couple of years ago about how they know how to build cars…
I don't remember RJ making snide remarks, but Peter Rawlinson of Lucid certainly did.

Reactions: betstarship
Incidentally, am I allowed to gloat that Rivian has had to hire outside help to figure out how to design/build their car for manufacturing? While Tesla figured it out from the get go without outside help? I seem to remember some snide and pointed comments from RJ a couple of years ago about how they know how to build cars…
Well I would say Rivian is about 3 years late on getting help. Better late than never I guess.

I just hope they get this all sorted out before they run out of investor cash. o_O

I don't remember RJ making snide remarks, but Peter Rawlinson of Lucid certainly did.

RJ seems full of joy all during a huge ramp up in production. I'm sorry, happy people staying happy during "production hell" and not talking crap about others generally tend to get money back to investors.

Just my 2 cents.

KimJava put out a video of an R1T her family borrowed and the roof glass cracked. The owner highlighted a handful of other issues with the truck when taking it in for service - panel gaps, tailgate, tonneau cover, etc. Rivian sent the car to a body shop for the panel gap issues. Communication was also not great. None of this is unexpected, but just nightlights that incumbents don’t magically solve all of the challenges Tesla had in its earliest years.

KimJava put out a video of an R1T her family borrowed and the roof glass cracked. The owner highlighted a handful of other issues with the truck when taking it in for service - panel gaps, tailgate, tonneau cover, etc. Rivian sent the car to a body shop for the panel gap issues. Communication was also not great. None of this is unexpected, but just nightlights that incumbents don’t magically solve all of the challenges Tesla had in its earliest years.
Yes, that's to be expected. Though I'd hardly call Rivian an incumbent.

Story from the WSJ about how Rivian is treading the well worn path of trying to get states to allow direct sales. Seems that Rivian hired an ex Tesla lawyer who did the exact same lobbying effort for Tesla back in the day. Ironically he had cut a number of deals with various states to carve out an exception just for Tesla which is now hurting Rivian. Also of interest, it implies he was a one man show at Tesla, while having a team of six at Rivian.

Last edited:
From a Rivian forum post regarding water ingress: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/gear-tunnel-water-intrusion.8434/
It looks like they are not using the safety interlock feature of the HV connector. Anybody know any further details on this?

SmartSelect_20220920_082505_Firefox.jpg

I'm not sure you can tell that from that picture. Couldn't it have a loop-back under those blue plugs? (The other side would have to have the HV interlock wires.)
I think those are the seals for wires (when installed). Theoretically, it could have an internal shorting jumper, but I don't see wires on the other side either.

Huh, the black part might be a separate connector to the orange HV section with the far half having a shorting jumper?

There's no justice in the world. Rivian stock price soars after this "meets revised lower expectations" number while Tesla's sinks. Sigh. It is nice to see them ramping though.

The market certainly has an anti-Tesla sentiment, where even a record all time high quarter can be turned into a negative catalyst. Rivian does not seem to be treated similarly.

Poor, unloved TSLA with 1% of global sales and 50% of global market cap
/s

Rivian could grow 100x, Tesla won't. Rivian is a pure EV play that won't neglect new vehicle R&D in favor of humanoid robots. Rivian has a CEO who doesn't publicly promote right-wing conspiracies. Or make absurd claims about self-driving. Or whine about his customer/investors being to dense to understand how important his humanoid robot will be. Lots of reasons why someone might invest in RIVN as well as or instead of TSLA.

Furthermore, RIVN was down more than 80% from their 12 month high. They've been severely punished for missing guidance, and the stock price weighed a high risk of further misses against that massive potential upside. There's naturally a sigh of relief when they showed good progress on the ramp and affirmed full year guidance.

That said, I'll need to see a path to positive gross margin before I even consider RIVN as a speculation.

That said, I'll need to see a path to positive gross margin before I even consider RIVN as a speculation.

Yes, that'll be the next gate Rivian needs to pass through, although I suspect the stock will rise anyways if they hit their 25,000 yearly mark next quarter. Will the stock get punished if they only get to 24,000? My crystal ball is cloudy.

Poor, unloved TSLA with 1% of global sales and 50% of global market cap
/s

Rivian could grow 100x, Tesla won't. Rivian is a pure EV play that won't neglect new vehicle R&D in favor of humanoid robots. Rivian has a CEO who doesn't publicly promote right-wing conspiracies. Or make absurd claims about self-driving. Or whine about his customer/investors being to dense to understand how important his humanoid robot will be. Lots of reasons why someone might invest in RIVN as well as or instead of TSLA.

Furthermore, RIVN was down more than 80% from their 12 month high. They've been severely punished for missing guidance, and the stock price weighed a high risk of further misses against that massive potential upside. There's naturally a sigh of relief when they showed good progress on the ramp and affirmed full year guidance.

Plus theres not much market interest in shorting a stock like Rivian that is already at the bottom of value 800B below Tesla.