Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We won't know the wisdom of 4680, structural battery pack, or body part casting for several years. In regards to Rivian, their weight is unimpressive compared to the F150. The F150 has the same MPGe and its a bigger class of vehicle.

I'm rather shocked that Rivian is actually building out a private CCS1 network. I assumed that their network was asperational and would be delayed.

The user created map below is California biased as it seems a comprehensive list was found for PG&E. So Rivian's RAN network plus public CCS1 may be closer to Supercharger than I anticipated.

Rivian's head charger guy worked at Tesla on Supercharger for years. It's remarkable how many hard things Tesla needed to conquer to be successful.

I'm rather shocked that Rivian is actually building out a private CCS1 network. I assumed that their network was asperational and would be delayed.

The user created map below is California biased as it seems a comprehensive list was found for PG&E. So Rivian's RAN network plus public CCS1 may be closer to Supercharger than I anticipated.

Rivian's head charger guy worked at Tesla on Supercharger for years. It's remarkable how many hard things Tesla needed to conquer to be successful.

I too am shocked, and in my mind, is just an example of another way Rivian wastes money. It isn’t needed to sell their trucks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando, wws and KJD
Perhaps Rivian sees CCS1 availability becoming a sh*t show. Rivian sells their vehicles on the basis of 600 stations by the end of 2023. So apparently they think exclusive charging is desirable.

Charging is by far my greatest concern with buying a R1T.

I do wonder what Ford is thinking when they set the goal of producing 2 million RV worldwide in 2026 but are seemingly not making any charger investment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
INSANE ?? Rivian should team up with Tesla SuperCharger Network. wtf??
Doubt Rivian will sell outside US. Adventure Truck only a US market, right?

Rivian is looking at a European factory. Rivian R1S is smaller than a Range Rover LWB.

It will sell well in at least UK,Sweden,Norway,Finland, and Iceland. Probably Switzerland too.

Australia and New Zealand is also a prime market. And of course Canada.

Rivian has already chosen CCS. And Tesla and Rivian have an ongoing lawsuit where Tesla alleges Rivian stole lots of IP.

Range Rover sells less than 20,000 world wide. Tiny market for Rivian to focus on.
UK about equal to all those other counties combined, right? China, Asia, Europe much larger.
Tesla has over 1 year waiting times. Rivian may be the same. BUT production numbers of Rivian way low.

IP that Rivian "stole" was not HW, but Tesla business policies, hiring, organization, bonus structures, I think, right?
Tesla HW patents are free, really stupid to steal.
CCS works fine in the long term. SuperChargers could help right now. - don't you think? urgency matters right now IMHO.

As usual, thanks Rob. Your research numbers always helpful. Actual production/sales numbers really matter. Right now no one is meeting demand.

Range Rover sells less than 20,000 world wide. Tiny market for Rivian to focus on.
UK about equal to all those other counties combined, right? China, Asia, Europe much larger.
Tesla has over 1 year waiting times. Rivian may be the same. BUT production numbers of Rivian way low.

IP that Rivian "stole" was not HW, but Tesla business policies, hiring, organization, bonus structures, I think, right?
CCS works fine in the long term. SuperChargers could help right now. - don't you think? urgency matters right now IMHO.

As usual, thanks Rob. Your research numbers always helpful. Actual production/sales numbers really matter. Right now no one is meeting demand.

This is like saying Tesla was really stupid to focus the Model S on Audi A7 market. R1S will also take from adjacent markets like Mercedes GLS,BMW X7, Audi Q7, Cadillac XT6 & Escalade and even Model X etc. Plus it has the pickup.

It will also make a R2. Which is a Subaru WRX Wagon type vehicle. And it will certainly also make compact and full size SUVs and pickups in addition to the current midsize R1 offerings, midsize by American standards.

I guess you can't "steal" what is "free" but Tesla has a bunch of stipulations on their "all our patents are belong to you" offer which effectively means you have to either pay or barter for those patents. And there is a difference between patents and IP. Tesla is claiming Rivian stole IP in those areas you claim but also manufacturing processes. Things like which glues and fasteners Tesla uses.

I don't think Elon would be simpatico with signing a deal with Rivian with lawsuit pending. Plus, Tesla says they will eventually make the Supercharger Network available to all CCS vehicles anyway. I think the UK is next to open up.

• Informative
Tesla says they will eventually make the Supercharger Network available to all CCS vehicles anyway. I think the UK is next to open up.

This. No one is going to license the Tesla Supercharger network now with this in the near future.

• Helpful
Time is #1. I think we shall see only Tesla speed ahead - still won't meet demand & neither will anyone else. Let us see IF ANY ONE can do ~50% growth YoY - Tesla often does even more than 50% growth Year Over Year Model 3/Y except Model S/X. Mach e? Audi eTron? i3? Porsche ? Lightening ? any of the VWs? Rivian? Lucid?

Some one let us know when an;y one does ~50% growth on any model YOY

Has Rivian said how many vehicles they delivered in April?
Not that I know of and I wouldn’t expect them to say anything on a month to month basis. The only reason why we knew deliveries up until sometime in mid March was they released a quarterly update and deliveries until end of December wasn’t a great number, so they wanted to talk about current deliveries. I expect they won’t say anything until the next quarterly report Which comes next week May 11.

1651649313090.png

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman

The R1S is a 3 row SUV that most of the affluent world buys. I think the questions ia whether Rivian can sustain demand of 50,000/year combined R1T/S at $100K ASP. So far their products seem well positioned, especially against Tesla.

Reactions: Msicario
The R1S is a 3 row SUV that most of the affluent world buys. I think the questions ia whether Rivian can sustain demand of 50,000/year combined R1T/S at $100K ASP. So far their products seem well positioned, especially against Tesla.
Rivian has no Tesla competing model yet. Interesting to compare CyberTruck & Rivian sales numbers.
Well, interesting to compare all electric truck models in say 2024.