Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, let
How much lower do you think their stock/shares will drop? šŸ¤”
Let's look at stock volume today:

Volume: 84,104,359 Avg. Volume: 18,157,650

Hmmm. Think Ford and JP Morgan's seller dumped their combined 22M shares today? Maybe? Maybe not? I think that's what will determine price this week. That and this week's earnings call. Price is at $22.78/share now, Yahoo says book value is $21.67/share. Stocks do trade below book from time to time. My crystal ball is cloudy.

Reactions: KJD
Well, let

Hmmm. Think Ford and JP Morgan's seller dumped their combined 22M shares today? Maybe? Maybe not? I think that's what will determine price this week. That and this week's earnings call. Price is at $22.78/share now, Yahoo says book value is $21.67/share. Stocks do trade below book from time to time. My crystal ball is cloudy.
Iā€™ll guess weā€™ll know Wednesday or Thursday when the dust settles.
Might be a good time to buy a few hundreds šŸ¤” I just canā€™t imagine Bezos
Well, let

I guess weā€™ll know best on Thursday šŸ¤” Bezos wonā€™t allow it to fail.. might be a good time to buy šŸ˜ƒ
It would definitely be a real shame not seeing the R1T & RS1 into real production.

SP in 2024 is what matters. Their IPO timing could not have been better. Bezos is the last person looking at short term performance.

The concerning issues for me whether they will be chronically short on parts.

I see Rivian's investment in private fast chargers as a demand driver. But there is no reason to drive demand when production is inhibited by lack of parts.

I see Musk slow rolling adding CCS1 while other EV makers except Rivian underestimating the superiority of Supercharger.

I see Musk slow rolling adding CCS1 while other EV makers except Rivian underestimating the superiority of Supercharger.

Tesla is doing what every other big company does, responding to government incentives. The individual states are spending money from an infrastructure fund and Tesla is hoping to get some of that money to open up their network. Texas closed them out of the money pot, so theyā€™ll probably be the last state to get access.

Could Tesla even consider opening chargers to CCS1 cars on the west coast? It seems to me that Musk will do enough to seem cooperative but not so much to give away Tesla's advantage.

I suspect that most of the federally funded state money will not go to filing gaps but to add chargers in urban areas. Charger companies, except for Tesla, are going to be interested in maximum utilization of the equipment they install.

Rivian still says they will launch a private charger network. So no public money for them.

So Rivian lost $1.6B in Q1, they also burned $1.7B in cash with $16.4B in cash left. (If this rate continues they have less than 2.5 years of cash on hand.)

They produced 2,553 vehicles. They delivered 1,227 vehicles at a loss of ~$409k/each. (They really need to scale up to try to turn this around or it is going to hurt a lot.)

According to CNBC Rivian has $17B cash as of March 31. It has added 10k reservations since price hike.

1652308541299.png

Rivian "loses $409k for every car sold" has a familiar ring to it. #RIVNQ

Rivian "loses $409k for every car sold" has a familiar ring to it. #RIVNQ
That comes right from their report, and it doesn't include any of the SG&A, R&D, etc...

1652311153699.png

And they expand on that some:

We generated negative gross profit of $(502) million for Q1 2022. As we produce vehicles at low volumes on production lines designed for higher volumes, we have and will continue to experience negative gross profit related to significant labor and overhead costs. This dynamic will continue in the near term, but we expect it will improve on a per vehicle basis as production volumes ramp up faster than future labor and overhead cost increases. Additionally, we recorded a lower of cost or net realizable value (ā€œLCNRVā€) adjustment to reflect the amount we anticipate receiving upon vehicle sale (after considering future costs necessary to ready the inventory for sale) and losses on firm purchase commitments. These expenses negatively impacted gross profit in the first quarter of 2022 by $188 million; additionally, we expect these items to continue to negatively impact operating results in near-term periods. We also experienced increased logistics costs due to expedited freight associated with supply chain challenges.

It is mainly a problem of low volume, and sounds like they have had to pay some suppliers "penalties" for buying fewer parts than they committed to. It should get better when/if they can get production ramped up to full speed.

Reactions: Msicario and mongo
You have to figure that they still have about 80k pre-orders left at the old prices, and anybody that can will either buy it for themselves, buy it and flip it, or sell the pre-order. They are likely going to be losing money on every single one of those because they mispriced them but decided to honor the price anyhow.

If they produce 25k in the rest of this year as guided and 50k next year they will just be getting to the point of possible profit on vehicle sales about the time they are going to run out of cash at their current burn rate. So they have a chance to make it out of this, especially if they can start to control expenses and ramp production fast. I question their ability to do either of those things. Some of which aren't under their direct control, like part supply. (It is hard to control expenses when you need to build out the delivery and service infrastructure to support the production ramp.)

Reactions: KJD
You have to figure that they still have about 80k pre-orders left at the old prices, and anybody that can will either buy it for themselves, buy it and flip it, or sell the pre-order. They are likely going to be losing money on every single one of those because they mispriced them but decided to honor the price anyhow.

If they produce 25k in the rest of this year as guided and 50k next year they will just be getting to the point of possible profit on vehicle sales about the time they are going to run out of cash at their current burn rate. So they have a chance to make it out of this, especially if they can start to control expenses and ramp production fast. I question their ability to do either of those things. Some of which aren't under their direct control, like part supply. (It is hard to control expenses when you need to build out the delivery and service infrastructure to support the production ramp.)
Itā€™s 55K cars at the old price. The unknown is indeed their ability to ramp production. Based on their financials, looks like theyā€™ve overhired for the low level of production they are at. Classic mistake, and just shows them pissing away even more money. It doesnā€™t mean they are toast though. Frankly, I donā€™t know why VW or someone doesnā€™t just buy them. Their enterprise value is like $5B max.