Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1653447800306.png

Brian Kemp is the Republican governor who negotiated the deal for the Rivian Georgia factory.

David Perdue was the unhinged anti-Rivian Republican candidate.

The Democrat candidate for Governor, Stacey Abrams is taking credit for pushing the Rivian factory deal through the legislature.

So pretty much political hurdles to Rivian Georgia factory cleared today.

View attachment 808437

Brian Kemp is the Republican governor who negotiated the deal for the Rivian Georgia factory.

The Democrat candidate for Governor, Stacey Abrams is taking credit for pushing the Rivian factory deal through the legislature.

Had Perdue somehow won he'd have flip-flopped on the factory. But as it turns out the Perdue/Trump message of "elections are rigged, so don't bother voting" has twice failed to produce a high turnout for their side. Who knew?

Reactions: zecar
View attachment 808437

Perdue got routed more than $RIVN stock the past 6 months. Lol

Rivian manufacturing EVP Charly Mwangi out, Magna dude Frank Klein in as COO. Manufacturing execs will apparently report to Klein, including the VP of Manufacturing Operations who swapped in a few months ago. Hope they get out of production hell. It says Mwangi spent 6 years at Tesla, btw.

RJ had a long interview at Bernstein’s 38th Annual Strategic Decisions Conference.

I am reposting Longhorngirls' notes from rivianforums.

"Here are my notes. I don’t think there was very much new information. I was surprised that RJ said that they are currently building four vehicles this year. Apparently, they are building two different sizes of the EDV, both the 500 and 700. I was under the impression that they were only building one version of the EDV this year.
  • LFP battery packs will begin shipping for consumer vehicles early next year. That's roughly a year ahead of their 2024 timing on the website! [noted by @hiimisaac]
  • They're also incredibly bullish on LFP. I don't think they have any plans to not continue with the smaller, LFP packs as a lot of people have speculated. [noted by @hiimisaac]
  • Reiterated that the goal is to have overall market share of 10% of the entire new car market, which is expected to be selling only electric cars by the end of the decade.
  • R2 vehicles will be priced from $40k to $60k and is anticipated to begin production in Georgia in 2025.
  • Very important to ramp up R2 volume with expansion to Europe and China in the future.
  • Normal plant is currently running 30 hours a week. For the second half of the year, this is expected to ramp up dramatically due to better relationships with semiconductor suppliers.
  • Normal plant will be expanded to produce up to 200k vehicles a year and will continue to only manufacture R1s and EDVs.
  • Base models and commercial EDVs will have a LFP battery pack, which are cheaper than the nickel based batteries. Not sure what base models mean. I assume R1s with dual motors since he said this will happen starting next year for the R1s."

As a long time Tesla owner, thought I’d give my $0.02 about my recent R1T test drive.

it’s a nice truck. Ride is very comfortable without giving up much handling prowess. The acceleration is insane for a truck. The regen felt as powerful as my 2022 Model X, meaning it’s pretty damn powerful since the R1T is a lot heavier.

The air suspension travel is insane. You go from a step in height that feels like a Model X to a hike up that feels like a big truck. Huge difference. Munro has remarked just how crazy the suspension travel is, and I believe it.

It is less wide than some large SUVs (like my wife’s Infinit QX80), but I think the R1S will still fit the bill for people looking for a real SUV. Certainly there isn’t anything else out there, even announced.

The tail gate has a yoke extension meaning you can carry stuff up to seven feet long which is nice. The frunk is very roomy. Tons of head height when sitting down inside. Usually I hike my seat up the highest point when I drive since I like to see everything, but I didn’t in this truck, leaving me with lots of room above my head.

Rivian certainly has a winner on their hands, assuming they can manufacture enough of them and at the right cost. My latest delivery estimate is October-December 2022 for my Nov. 2018 R1S reservation.

Rivian just started shipping the greenish gray interiors recently.

The off white interiors have been delayed again, supposedly sourcing problems.

According to recent factory tours R1S SUVs are about 10% of current production. That doesn't mean Rivian is currently mass shipping SUVs to retail customers but that should happen imminently.

I never liked this kind of analysis since it ends up showing state population more than anything else. So grabbed state population data and made this chart instead:

1655160068923.png

The western more rural states buy at more than twice the rate per population than CA. TX needs to get its crap together. NY is a lost cause. ;)

I never liked this kind of analysis since it ends up showing state population more than anything else. So grabbed state population data and made this chart instead:

View attachment 816256

The western more rural states buy at more than twice the rate per population than CA. TX needs to get its crap together. NY is a lost cause. ;)

I think both are important.

City slickers are never going to buy pickups in the same per capita numbers as the *sugar* kickers.

You still want to concentrate stores/service centers in CA and TX.

Not exactly a disinterested objective observer.

Nope, not just an observer. Elon is an experienced CEO and co-founder of a new automaker, so he does know what its like to start an automaker from scratch. He knows all the pitfalls, all the hardships, all the complexity and how extremely difficult it is to successfully ramp up production while trying to make a profit.

Given Rivian's extreme cash burn so early in their production ramp, I truly fear they are in trouble right now. I want them to make it BUT if they keep going like they are today I don't think they will.

Nope, not just an observer. Elon is an experienced CEO and co-founder of a new automaker, so he does know what its like to start an automaker from scratch. He knows all the pitfalls, all the hardships, all the complexity and how extremely difficult it is to successfully ramp up production while trying to make a profit.

Given Rivian's extreme cash burn so early in their production ramp, I truly fear they are in trouble right now. I want them to make it BUT if they keep going like they are today I don't think they will.

Though the same was said about Tesla. My understanding is that Rivian has a LOT of cash in the bank. ($16B? Don't recall the exact amount.) It seems like they have a couple years to ramp up and achieve economies of scale, not to mention they could raise more money -- especially if at the time it's clear they're close and they just need a bridge to ramp up a bit more.

I guess the thing to keep an eye on for me is going to be their margins. They will need to get to positive margins or else all is lost, and then continue to show progress thereafter. But I expect it to be slow; it's not like we'll see big changes week to week or month to month.

My wife will be disappointed if they go under; she wants an electric minivan people-carrier bigger than the Model X, and right now the R1S looks like it. Hopefully we'll see more solid entries in that space in the coming years.