Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many times has Tesla gone to the capital markets to grow? Rivian has raised money once.

Production returns cash even if not profitable. Early in the production ramp the burn rate will always look terrible.

I'm more concerned about Rivian's management than the product or current cash burn. Their customer management has been atrocious.
If your sales price is less than CoGS, production is not returning cash.
If your sales price is less than your variable costs, increasing volume will not help.

If sales price is greater than CoGS, then there is something to offset operating expenses.

Tesla vehicle production has been profitable other than a couple quarters.

Reactions: unk45 and MP3Mike
If your sales price is less than your variable costs, increasing volume will not help.

If sales price is greater than CoGS, then there is something to offset operating expenses.

Tesla vehicle production has been profitable other than a couple quarters.

Correct. Right now, based on public info, Rivian will have a hard time going to market for more cash since their financials are completely upside down. Luckily they don't have to raise money now. And they might have time to right the ship before needing more money. But standing here today, we don't know for sure this the case. And they don't have a good track record of making correct decisions, so odds are not tilted in their favor. But anything is still possible for Rivian.

Pretty much, but COGS has some non-cash components such as depreciation and warranty reserve. Plus "one-time" charges like the inventory (LCNRV) adjustment Rivian had in Q1.

With such low volume in a fully built-out factory I kinda expected Rivian revenue to be less than COGS (i.e. negative GAAP gross margin) but to be near or maybe even exceed "cash COGS". They didn't come close, though, at least from what I can see. That's a huge concern.

Getting back to the topic, there are also ways businesses can temporarily generate cash selling below COGS. One is a classic fire sale. Dumping a bunch of six month old inventory to a liquidator or at auction might produce an accounting loss, but every penny goes straight into the checking account.

There are also businesses with negative cash conversion cycles (AP > inventory+AR). Say you buy computer parts on a net 60 basis and sell the assembled gaming PC on eBay that same day. The first two months all revenue goes straight into your bank account. Of course you then have to start writing checks, so if you sell at cost your bank account will stop growing. Unless.......

Say you sell 5 PCs for $1k each the first month, then 10, then 15, etc. You bank 15k the first two months. The 3rd month you bring in 15k and pay out 5k, so your cash balance grows to 25k. The next month it's up to 35k, and so on. You aren't profitable, but as long as you stay on that treadmill the cash keeps piling up. This even happens if you sell below cost. Of course it's basically Ponzi finance and will blow up at some point. But you can avoid blowup if you grow enough and create a strong brand that allows you to eventually raise prices and become profitable.

Reactions: Cosmacelf and mongo
Of course it does in major manufacturing unless the company isn't covering variable costs. Or it did when I worked at GM. Maybe new math?
I guess I don't understand what you meant by
Production returns cash even if not profitable.

If a truck is sold for $80k and cost $100k (at that volume) to produce, the net impact is a $20k loss. Yes, there is revenue, but the company's cash decreases. It's sort of like lending someone $100 and getting $80 back; money moves both ways, but overall it's moving away.

Edit: Oh, I think you are talking about sales price being greater than variable costs, in which case, yes, the sales would help offset the fixed costs and are an improvement over not selling vehicles.

Last edited:
Odd for a cash flow article to appear here. Rivian can certainly go broke, but peak cash flow out occurs as production ramps. Also, the premise of the title of the article is ridiculous. This is basic stuff.

I think Tesla only had negative gross profits 2 quarters since going public. That, I think, is the point people are raising about Rivian. Expanding with profitable manufacturing vs expanding while the core business is not profitable.

Odd for a cash flow article to appear here. Rivian can certainly go broke, but peak cash flow out occurs as production ramps. Also, the premise of the title of the article is ridiculous. This is basic stuff.

(Not aimed at you @zecar - just using your post as a staring point).

This was one of a host of articles, back in the day, that was intentionally or unintentionally demonstrating a basic misunderstanding of accounting. There's a reason for the 3 basic financial reports, and I commend basic (2-4 hours?) accounting education to all that invest seriously. Its readily available in an online format.

We heard this for years - "Tesla is losing money on every car they build - the more they build, the faster they go bankrupt".

Its been so nice not hearing this bullseye.

I'm not an accountant, so this is a higher level view (directionally accurate - good to assume I've got some details wrong).

There are (simplistically) two kinds of profitability that we need to be concerned about (and these days, Rivian investors need to be particularly concerned about).

Cash flow that we care about here is just cash coming and going in regards to each vehicle produced. Its actually the accounting treatment of the cash, rather than actual cash flow - when sales are made and when cash changes hands is the cash flow is an important nuance that I'm ignoring. The sorts of things we're looking at here is the direct labor that goes into building the truck and the parts / raw materials that go into the truck. Whether depreciation of the factory goes into this or not - I tend to exclude it from this most basic measure as the question we're answering is "does Rivian pay out more money to suppliers than it gets in from customers" for each truck. Higher direct payments for each truck, than is received for the sale, really does mean that the more trucks built, the faster the company is running out of cash (and will reach bankruptcy left to go on long enough).

Profitability is a different measure. Add on an amortized form of capital expenditures, mostly meaning the factory that builds the vehicles, but also research and some of these other longer term investments. In accounting the idea is to match up the business value of those investments with the period in which they are used (depreciation). Whether research or building factories, these represent investments in the future ability of the company to do what it does.

The difficulty, or opportunity if you're in the FUD business, is you add in these investments in capacity building on a per vehicle basis, and can quickly conclude that the business is spending more on each vehicle than it receives in payment. Well duh - the company is still building that capacity / infrastructure and until its much more fully utilized then this will be happening.

The 'rules' for exactly how this gets calculated is where GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) comes from. And as the accountants will tell you there is still plenty of wiggle room in here for how to represent the business financials.

Actually there's a 3rd big bucket separate from these two that also matter to a company's profitability - the SG&A line (sales, general, adminstrative). These are the front office employees - HR, accounting, advertising, sales, IT. Its the overhead / everything else to running the company, as long as we define the company as the research / designers on the front end, and the manufacturing on the back end. This is also easy to divide by the number of vehicles built to help make each vehicle built look like a big loser.

As I remember things, Tesla was never cash flow negative at the vehicle level. Tesla has always received more for each vehicle than the parts / raw materials / labor that went into building it. Tesla has also always been doing technology research, and building capacity, at a really fast pace. So fast that for most of its existence that incremental build generated accounting losses once those investments were matched up with accounting periods.

The fact that Tesla is still investing and researching so aggressively, and is still generating both cash and profit is remarkable.

I don't follow Rivian closely enough to have an opinion or thought about where Rivian actually is in this picture. I assume that each vehicle produced costs less in labor and materials than is received from the customer. The problem (as I expect, and is typical for new businesses in capital intense industries) is that there isn't enough extra to pay for ongoing research, capacity building / investment, and company overhead.

The question (again no opinion) is whether each vehicle is contributing enough to not only pay for the vehicle, but also pay for the infrastructure / research, and the business overhead. The good thing about being in a capital intensive business - its is -VERY- dependent on volume. As I like to think of it - the FIRST unit is --really-- expensive to build. But the 2nd and later units are cheap. As long as you have enough of the 2nd and later units to pay for the first unit, these business are money printers.

Tesla has reached the money printing stage.

As an aside, this is why the semiconductor manufacturing business is so wickedly difficult, and so attractive. If you can clear the units needed to pay for the R&D and ongoing capital investment, then the incremental units are ridiculously cheap to manufacture and the company can be ridiculously profitable. I know Intel best - that is one example.

But its also why there is almost nobody left manufacturing the leading edge technology in the business. The moment your units drop below that threshold, the amazing profitability turns into an amazingly huge money pit. Big enough that nobody has climbed that mountain and become a new entrant in the business in forever. The research to be building the leading edge technology is mind boggling.

Reactions: ZeApelido
I don't follow Rivian closely enough to have an opinion or thought about where Rivian actually is in this picture. I assume that each vehicle produced costs less in labor and materials than is received from the customer.
From Rivian's reports it appears to me that they might not be bringing in enough money to cover vehicle production costs for labor/materials.

From Rivian's reports it appears to me that they might not be bringing in enough money to cover vehicle production costs for labor/materials.

IMHO, this is the most likely answer since they are building their first 55,000 (approx.) vehicles without the 20% (approx.) price increase, and their manufacturing ramp has been slow. Even with the latest 20% price increase, I suspect Rivian will have to keep working at profitability with cost reductions and further price increases.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Prices for used R1Ts dropping below $120k.

1657701560231.png

Does anyone know if their deliveries have ramped yet?
They released P&D numbers on the 6th: Rivian Produced 4,401 Vehicles in Q2 2022 - Newsroom - Rivian

Rivian Automotive, Inc. (NASDAQ: RIVN) today announced production totals for the quarter ending June 30, 2022. The company produced 4,401 vehicles at its manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois and delivered 4,467 vehicles during the same period.

These figures remain in line with the company’s expectations, and it believes it is on track to deliver on the 25,000 annual production guidance previously provided.

So not quite double Q1's production but ~3.5x Q1's deliveries. So it will be interesting to see what their gross margins are this quarter.

Reactions: betstarship