Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From main:
This is interesting

"Signing a binding order agreement does not guarantee vehicle pricing"
Umm.....

Reactions: MP3Mike
Or they could just jack the price up to the point that you no longer want it and they can keep your order deposit.

It is great for them, it gets them instant revenue without committing to anything.

When you build up the entire market, that is not just one company (e.g. Tesla), it grows the TAM. If a market is being grown with other entrants, it only helps Tesla as the only single company (or market leader) right now building compelling EVs at such scale.

Only if the Feds totally overlook what 'binding' means. The need for a binding order is to prevent people bypassing the legislation with place holders.

I'm not here to argue - I originally posted that it's interesting! It's cool they're helping out their order holders, no? What's with the interrogation?!

I'm criticizing Rivian, not you.
Lucid is playing funny with the date (maybe), Rivian is playing funny with 'binding order agreement'.

Thank you, but it seriously turned into a "poke the beehive" situation on this forum when I posted about this interesting thing.

Somehow I missed that in their email to me. Where does it state that? They honored the price for my first R1T reservation and I assume they’ll honor the price for my 2nd.
From their website: Rivian
Reminders

• Customers are under no obligation to sign the binding order agreement
  • Rivian does not guarantee eligibility for federal EV tax credits
  • Signing a binding order agreement does not "lock" your configuration
  • Signing a binding order agreement does not guarantee vehicle pricing
  • For customers with reinstated orders or pending deposits, we'll be contacting you soon.
  • For customers with multiple deposits, we'll share a binding order agreement that, when signed, applies to all vehicles orders for which you've placed a deposit. If you only wish to apply the non-refundable deposit to certain orders, please contact the Customer Engagement Center.

Rivian has released their Q2 results: https://downloads.rivian.com/2md5qh...cf80955/Rivian-Q2-2022-Shareholder-Letter.pdf

They produced 4,401 and delivered 4,467 vehicles this quarter. They lost ~$158k per vehicle this quarter, a significant improvement from the $409k they lost per vehicle last quarter. (So it seems that between increased volume and other cost cutting they are making good progress.)

They burned $1B in cash leaving them with $15.4B, again a good improvement from Q1.

Net loss for Q2 was up slightly to $1.7B.

It sounds like they are still having losses from purchase commitments, and they expect that to continue for a while. (Taking delivery of fewer parts than they committed to.)

All in they are doing much better than Lucid, there may actually be light at the end of the tunnel for them.

Reactions: betstarship and KJD
Rivian has released their Q2 results: https://downloads.rivian.com/2md5qh...cf80955/Rivian-Q2-2022-Shareholder-Letter.pdf

They produced 4,401 and delivered 4,467 vehicles this quarter. They lost ~$158k per vehicle this quarter, a significant improvement from the $409k they lost per vehicle last quarter. (So it seems that between increased volume and other cost cutting they are making good progress.)

They burned $1B in cash leaving them with $15.4B, again a good improvement from Q1.

Net loss for Q2 was up slightly to $1.7B.

It sounds like they are still having losses from purchase commitments, and they expect that to continue for a while. (Taking delivery of fewer parts than they committed to.)

All in they are doing much better than Lucid, there may actually be light at the end of the tunnel for them.

Yeah, that is better. Still not good at all, but at least it's an improvement over Q1 so the trend is in the right direction.

• Signing a binding order agreement does not "lock" your configuration
  • Signing a binding order agreement does not guarantee vehicle pricing
That presents an interesting legal question. If you sign a “binding” contract for a particular configuration at a specified price, are you required to accept delivery if Rivian changes either one? Without losing any of your deposit?