Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paul, I was going to ask you if it would have made a difference to your purchases.
What comments were untrue for example? McLary's obviously (lol)

- - - Updated - - -

....because practically all I know/ have learned about Tesla relates to that forum.
I've been on it 6 months, during which time my TSLA stock has dropped from $260.
That was my MX fund...

The worlds share markets have also dropped considerably during the past weeks. I'd say nervous investors in the general market is the single contributer to the fall.

in that forum I saw many people ask a question, only to be called a fool, or told to stop asking silly repeat questions, generally abruptly, and always by the old stalwarts of that forum. I never saw them post after that. Presume they decided against tesla. Further strongly stating untruths like "the seats arent comfortable", "the leather deteriorates rapidly", "the 21" tires are rubbish", "the paint is soft", "tesla staff dont care".....and many more, all of which almost made me cancel. None of which turned out to be true. Instead I ended up with the most amazing car ever with a level of support that is unprecedented.
And if you correct one of the stalwarts, expect a lashing, because they only wanted their version of the non-facts out there.

The worlds share markets have also dropped considerably during the past weeks. I'd say nervous investors in the general market is the single contributer to the fall.

in that forum I saw many people ask a question, only to be called a fool, or told to stop asking silly repeat questions, generally abruptly, and always by the old stalwarts of that forum. I never saw them post after that. Presume they decided against tesla. Further strongly stating untruths like "the seats arent comfortable", "the leather deteriorates rapidly", "the 21" tires are rubbish", "the paint is soft", "tesla staff dont care".....and many more, all of which almost made me cancel. None of which turned out to be true. Instead I ended up with the most amazing car ever with a level of support that is unprecedented.
And if you correct one of the stalwarts, expect a lashing, because they only wanted their version of the non-facts out there.

OK, thanks 'prp'.
And this forum is different?
I see a lot of the same people on here.
I can't help feeling it would be better using real names.
Only some on both fora have the same screen name (I couldn't get mine but no one else would have my real name).
Why do people want to hide behind a screen name?
Off topic, but I don't see a forum for silly questions.

Poor planning

They are doing at least two things with the website. . . They are introducing new blog-and-comments software, and they are also introducing a customer area for those who have pre-ordered cars. The customer area will be under beta testing for a few days before it's officially opened.

There may be other changes, those are just the only ones I know about. We should find out very soon, the downtime is only supposed to be a few hours.

For or a tech company it's pretty incredible that the site has had to be down whilst the changes are introduced. Any half decent web designers would have built the new website first then swapped it out once it was built and tested. Doesn't bode well for the standard of programming in the car. And remember this is a car that we are being asked to trust with Autopilot!!

For or a tech company it's pretty incredible that the site has had to be down whilst the changes are introduced. Any half decent web designers would have built the new website first then swapped it out once it was built and tested. Doesn't bode well for the standard of programming in the car. And remember this is a car that we are being asked to trust with Autopilot!!

The Forums are subcontracted out.

Tesla software engineers have nothing to do with them.

But,yes, since Tesla spends so little on marketing, they should spend a little more on message board software.

The Paint is Soft ?

I've been told by a well respected detail system that the paint is subject to scratching and requires special care. This is a guy who handles very expensive porsches, mercedes etc. Apparently it's due to California emission regulations on solvent emissions. I don't think this is a secret. I don't know if the clear coat is equally as "soft".

As to the closure of those forums (and after a week off line without explanation) I think it's safe to assume they are gone for good. Unfortunate as there was a lot of good information on them although it wasn't searchable.

Even this forum is not optimally searchable. It uses an outside google engine instead of a data base engine search.

...Unfortunate as there was a lot of good information on them although it wasn't searchable.

While they were not searchable directly, using Volkerize/Google site searches worked fine. It's just not obvious to non-technical folks. That's why J.T. and I tried to keep instructions on doing just that at or near the top of the main sections.

I hope this is just a temporary thing, but I see your point after a full week of them being offline.

Now if only I had saved those designs for infinity engines before they were taken down....

OK, thanks 'prp'.
And this forum is different?
I see a lot of the same people on here.
I can't help feeling it would be better using real names.
Only some on both fora have the same screen name (I couldn't get mine but no one else would have my real name).
Why do people want to hide behind a screen name?
Off topic, but I don't see a forum for silly questions.
Everyone seems well behaved in the Australia section. New owners are welcomed, and questions answered. No stupidity like "the paint is soft". Too many 'experts' in the USA have a vested interest in convincing owners of this kind of rubbish to sell their own products. Too many owners gullible enough to believe it....either that or I have the only normally painted tesla out there.

The Forums are subcontracted out.

Tesla software engineers have nothing to do with them.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? Because more than any other forum I've ever seen, the Tesla forum looks 100% home grown. It looks like the kind of forum that would be thrown together with absolute minimum effort just so it works. With dozens of mature and commercial message boards out there, I can't believe that the TM forums were farmed out and they ended up with that garbage.

It would take a high-school intern about 2 hours to set up the generic vBulletin forum, and even that would be better than the tesla forums.

That is unrealistic and unreasonable fear, just like many other criticisms about Tesla and expectations from it. Tesla shouldn't waste time on these issues because its human nature as of now and no matter what Tesla does, people will find something to fear about.
This comment is reply to @rxlawdude comment.
Have you ever administered a system that had thousands of users? Have you ever managed downtime notifications?

Didn't think so. My post merely was with respect to the fact that Tesla hasn't updated fora users on the extended downtime, which is now longer than twice the estimate, and OTHERS were putting forth conspiracy theories.

I'm flabbergasted that you conflate a call for best IT practices and basic corporate communication skills with fomenting "something to fear about."

Last edited:
Everyone seems well behaved in the Australia section. New owners are welcomed, and questions answered. No stupidity like "the paint is soft". Too many 'experts' in the USA have a vested interest in convincing owners of this kind of rubbish to sell their own products. Too many owners gullible enough to believe it....either that or I have the only normally painted tesla out there.

+1 On the soft paint myth. Lots of coatings and wraps sold over that pitch. I'm still using traditional wax and my finish is as good as new.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? Because more than any other forum I've ever seen, the Tesla forum looks 100% home grown. It looks like the kind of forum that would be thrown together with absolute minimum effort just so it works. With dozens of mature and commercial message boards out there, I can't believe that the TM forums were farmed out and they ended up with that garbage.

It would take a high-school intern about 2 hours to set up the generic vBulletin forum, and even that would be better than the tesla forums.
That high-school intern was doing the v7 UI design and was busy, Hank. So they did it without the help of the intern and got what they deserved :)

I've been told by a well respected detail system that the paint is subject to scratching and requires special care. This is a guy who handles very expensive porsches, mercedes etc. Apparently it's due to California emission regulations on solvent emissions. I don't think this is a secret.
So let's recap: a person whose livelihood depends on the fears of owners of expensive vehicles makes a ridiculous statement about Tesla paint somehow being this fragile flower, unlike any other.

It's self-serving advertising for $6000 plastic wrappers.

- - - Updated - - -

The coincidence is that it has dropped steadily since I bought (six months ago)

Now, if I were to sell, ....?

Ross, you and I are in the same boat. The day I picked up my Tesla, I purchased TSLA at around $270. And I know that as soon as I unload it, it will meteor past $270. Sort of Murphy's Law of Securities. :)

Tesla Forums are back on line!

I clicked the forum link at 11:30 AM PST on 2/7/2015 and it worked. Last reply in the Model X forum is shown as January 31, 2016.

Posted a comment to the Model X build quality topic and the posting worked.

The major difference appears to be visual. Different font and spacing. No physical changes to the forum and NO editing added.

Enjoy the forums!

Last edited: