Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One does wonder how much value Tesla places upon business process optimization or even upon the basics of a PMO or the SDLC. I've worked with companies founded by engineers before, and often the last areas of emphasis (see above) are only addressed out of critical need. Up until about 6 years ago, a major satellite media company didn't have the business analyst role defined. Their IT group then embraced people, processes and technology, an investment in ITIL, and the new CEO's vision, and voila - today they are a well-oiled machine, relatively speaking.

Either the forums relaunch, along with, for example, the lack of patch release notes, and a general lack of communication, constitute a collective symptom of a deeper and more troubling problem, or perhaps the guy in charge of feeding the forum treadmill hamsters got sick and will get back to the project later this week.

Absent any information whatsoever, pvogel, wdolson, and HLR above have probably nailed it.

On a slightly more reflective note, both sets of fora (TM forums and TMC forums) have their pros and cons. In a perfect world, we'd have the TMC UI/UX and the general civility of TM. Both have produced valuable threads over the years.

I've missed the whole previous discussion. Is there some reason to believe the forum wasn't simply disbanded?

That would be the sticky posted at the top of each TM forum that said the fora would be unavailable for 2-3 days due to "scheduled maintenance". Originally planned for the evening of 1/30, the effort appeared to restart in earnest the evening of 1/31 and the fora have been down ever since.

Mod(s) - Maybe this thread could be merged with the one in the correct location/forum? Thanks in advance.

Odd. I have been on since perhaps 18.00 and it is now 19.00. I often leave it up, do things and then come back. It's been up the entire time in Santa Cruz, CA.

Well, whatever you do, don't log off or clear your cookies. Sounds like they missed a (v)box, which is a little hard to understand unless... Well, hrm. Is anyone posting or do you have the whole joint to yourself?

I just tried again - no joy. I don't mind in the least their taking as long as they want/need (and if something went very far south, it could be awhile), but some simple form of communication would at least stop thousands of people from reloading ad nauseum their fine spiffy new home page.

Tesla Forum Still off line

Before I bought my first tesla Model S I went to fashion Island in Newport Beach and asked the salesman how to arrange a test drive. He condescended to respond to me that they only allow interested buyers to test drive their cars. I suspect he said that because I was dressed in my old Levi's and t-shirt so he concluded that I couldn't afford to purchase the car. I was very taken back by the attitude and left without a test drive and without a car. I waited six months before I finally ordered the car over the internet. Then went back in a suit and tie and a copy of my purchase order and got the test drive I had initially requested (after I placed the order).

I suspect Tesla is bothered by a lot of wantabee Tesla owners. However their attitude was condescending. The take down of the tesla forum I suspect is not due to technical issues but to a lot of negative posts about minor issues by Tesla Owners and Tesla deposit holders. Maybe it is a communal punishment ?

There were simply too many picky complaints and suggestions for future improvements then the car deserved. At this point I can only surmize that someone in charge had a hissy fit over negative comments and decided to ditch the forum.

I have to add that Tesla will go way out of its way to help and please their customers and the removal of the forum is atypical behavior. It's best to remember that there are real people running the forum who take the criticisms personally.

Of course this is JMO and based on speculation as I have absolutely no inside knowledge as to why the forum is still down. I suppose it could be due to technical issues but as each day ticks by that possibility seems less tenable. :redface:

WDolson: "Though I would think they would tell people if that happened."

##############

At the risk of offending, or upsetting anyone ...
I may have to purchase free speech insurance like is being sold in our fantastic and honorable University's today.

Tesla has no track record of communication to the reservation holders or owners.

A vague suggestion that leaves months, sometimes years to fulfill many things.

But, I suspect the the Forum will be "coming soon", you can bet on it.

I will wait, as usual.

At this point we can only speculate why the Tesla Forum remains down. The only theory I am prepared to dismiss is that they are patching a security vulnerability. If that were the case, they would have taken the site down immediately rather than giving several days notice that it was coming down. A lot will be learned when it comes back.

If it comes back with a substantially new look and/or functionality we can conclude that Tesla sees value in the feedback they are receiving and the sharing of information among its current and potential customers and wanted to provide a more capable platform. I will be at the head of the line applauding an improved site and sincerely hope this is what happens. It is odd to me, however, that they would not have designed and tested the new functionality in a "sand box" and thrown the switch once they had completed sufficient testing (as is common practice in the industry).

If it comes back with no significant improvements, it will be apparent (to me, at least) that the site was taken down because of displeasure over the rapidly increasing number of negative posts about quality, delivery dates, penalty fees, etc. Perhaps they would like to minimize negative exposure until they have worked through their initial quality problems. Perhaps they are concerned that investors/press are gaining too much insight about deliveries and quality by monitoring the forums and would prefer that not to be the case in advance of their Feb 10 earnings call.

I find it incredibly odd that Tesla would take down such an important part (by far the most information about the MX can be found in the forums) of their corporate website without providing a better explanation.

I find Tesla's entire approach to marketing/customer interaction to be very reminiscent of the fictional "Soup Nazi" of Friends fame. Our soup is so good you will wait quietly in line and be happy with what you are served. Question us in any way and "no soup for you." Hoping the Tesla Forum comes back soon. I am sure the soup will be delicious.

Hum??????
Run by engineerings that do not attend to documentation, sales and marketing
OR
Run by business types that can not create cars like the MS
??????????

Yep, I'll go with the engineer running show.
I'll even put up with the BS over exaggeration on spec's, pricing and delivery (for now but some of the BS is getting old).

If you require well oiled business, I suggest you go to BMW. I hear they have some electrified stuff. Their marketing is spectacular and they communicate well what little they choose to tell you.

It's very possible that they are doing an overhaul of the website, not just the Forum, and they are adding an ordering page, with prices and options for the X, and they are getting ready to add a reservation page for the 3. Also, they might be adding some functionality to the Forum which has been coming "soon" forever.

Anyone who speculates that the forum is being withheld as some sort of punishment for complaining is way off the mark. Read some threads on any of the communication, production and firmware gaffes, when the site is up again, and you'll see that if Tesla was going to "punish" us for complaining they would have done it a long time ago, some time around the elimination of the vanity mirror lights.

This is a major overhaul of most of the web site by the looks of it ... I had a panic when I noticed the extended warranty option for my MS is no longer right on the MyTesla page, but instead there is a link from the Support page but right now that just brings you right back to the same MyTesla page. I can't imagine they're eliminating the extended warranty but at the moment there just doesn't seem to be a way for me to buy it, online anyway.

As for the forum, I am always impressed by companies brave enough to host their own public forum. I'd suggest it's on crappy software specifically to marginalize it.