Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'm seeing now is that the Model X page has a lot of blank space, and the Model S Features link is redirecting to the Design Studio.

It's easy enough to tell by using a traceroute that the Tesla Motors Web site is being served via the Akamai Content Delivery Network. The CDN should be able to automatically scale to handle the load spike caused by tomorrow's announcement. Maybe the Web site funkiness is being caused by Tesla's Web administrators tinkering with the expiration times of the objects on the CDN.

I'm not a professional Web administrator but this kind of thing does seem kind of amateurish to me. I mean, obviously Amazon doesn't have to shut down their Web site every time they add a new product. Apple does, but I think that's more of a hype thing than a technical necessity. Seems to me that Tesla ought to be able to do something like set up the new updated Web site on a development/staging environment somewhere, then when they are ready to go live they just flip the DNS entry from the IP of the old site to the new one. Maybe using a CDN makes it more complicated than that. Like I said, I'm not an expert.

Let me introduce you all to the wayback machine, where you can actually check and see what is different, by date and allllll these questions can be answered. Have fun!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember the dashboard view of model x. Is that new? The steering wheel buttons appear different from model s

They've always been different. From the beginning.

I don't remember the dashboard view of model x. Is that new? The steering wheel buttons appear different from model s

Are you talking about the concept drawing of the Model X dashboard under the heading "This seat is for you?" That's been there for a while. I think it just looks different because it's an artist's conception, not a photo of actual hardware. As of this minute the Model X page looks the same to me as it has for at least the last year. Model S > Features is still redirecting to Model S > Order.

[edit] Ninja'd by Bonnie.

Site is back to normal, Most likely during whatever "update" they performed the admin messed something up causing the content of those pages to disappear... And now that we have forever highlighted that there was for about an hour or so an issue with the Tesla website, the Administrator won't be able to get off scott free for his mistake... as a fellow admin, I feel his pain right now...

Tesla Website Updating?

image.jpg

Maybe some behind the scenes work happening while everyone is distracted by the Live event?