Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe some kind of DNS attack? Its now unresponsive for me. That happened after about 25 minutes. Their twitter account is still compromised:
#RIPPRGANG (@TeslaMotors) | Twitter

I would imagine so. If I use my VPN provider to push me out at various places in the US, I either get their normal webpage and can read forum messages and look at my dashboard, or I get a "server not responding" message. Must be a hack either by DNS poisoning or changing routes through a delivery network.

Now my app is unresponsive. Worked 5 mins ago.

Oi oi oi. Hope the website wasn't running on shared infrastructure/hardware together with the vehicle management software/remote system. If so this is a security nightmare.

I am 100% sure I'm not looking at a cached page and it's fine right now. Might be a DNS hack that takes a while to propagate (and those still seeing it might have to flush their DNS). Currently the IP I get for the teslamotors.com is 205.234.27.220.

I used another site to look up the teslamotors.com and it points to 95.85.49.151 which is an IP in the netherlands. And reverse lookup points to adesma-madagascar.org

Anyone still seeing that hijacked page should ping the site or trace route and see what IP it is, but from what I see it looks like it's a DNS hijack, not Tesla's servers being compromised.

Edit: I found the IP for the hijacking site: 188.226.230.145 in Russia (actually another site shows Amsterdam). Currently that IP shows the hacked page, so it looks like this is a DNS hijack.

Last edited:
Since my wife was with my kids on the freeway & she has a heavy foot, I called her & told her to slow down & keep an eye out for anything strange with the car. I'm not a panicky type of guy but better safe then sorry & she needs to slow down anyways :wink:

As my edit shows, Tesla's website and servers never got compromised. What got compromised were DNS servers, which Tesla uses Network Solutions (looking more closely that's actually the registrar, whois now says it's cloudns.net, older records say ultradns.net). The attackers made the teslamotors.com domain point to 188.226.230.145, a server in Russia.

A DNS hijacking is very hard to defend against (and technically it's not in Tesla's hands to control). Even twitter got attacked once in this way.

The ones still affected probably don't have their DNS updated yet.

Last edited:
As my edit shows, Tesla's website and servers never got compromised. What got compromised were DNS servers, which Tesla uses Network Solutions for. The attackers made the teslamotors.com domain point to 188.226.230.145, a server in Russia.

A DNS hijacking is very hard to defend against (and technically it's not in Tesla's hands to control). Even twitter got attacked once in this way.

The ones still affected probably don't have their DNS updated yet.

Yup, it also means nobody got their hands on Tesla's servers nor its data.

This is the website I'm getting right now when I go to teslamotors.com. Who are the three guys in the car?

teslahack.PNG

This is the website I'm getting right now when I go to teslamotors.com. Who are the three guys in the car?
Since your DNS is still not updated yet, you can still see what the IP Address of that site is.

Go to start, search for "cmd" and run it (double click). This will open a command prompt window. Then type "ping teslamotors.com", press enter, and post the results here.