Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Electric - All in...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Quick question...

How many people on here have All Electric homes?

- Electric Heating
- Electric Hot Water
- Electric Lighting, Cooking, Washing & Drying
- Electric Transportation
- Electric Storage & Generation

You're all in...

(not bothered if you still have alternative fuel items to use)... but where you can live happily without them.

IF you are 100% electric, what's your Annual Consumption total in kWh

Thanks 👍

As you know, I’m invested substantially into electric.
i can’t claim total electric yet. We ditched LPG gas cooking 3 years ago but still have an oil boiler for heating.
I know the boiler has about 3 or 4 years life in it so I’m starting to plan the next step.
Not sure whether ground source or air source will suit best but can accommodate either
All lighting is now LED or low energy. Cooking and washing are now well rated appliances
Generation and storage you know already
The PHEV will be replaced by a an EV next year before the warranty expires!
just limited by single phase 100amp supply…

As you know, I’m invested substantially into electric.
i can’t claim total electric yet. We ditched LPG gas cooking 3 years ago but still have an oil boiler for heating.
I know the boiler has about 3 or 4 years life in it so I’m starting to plan the next step.
Not sure whether ground source or air source will suit best but can accommodate either
All lighting is now LED or low energy. Cooking and washing are now well rated appliances
Generation and storage you know already
The PHEV will be replaced by a an EV next year before the warranty expires!
just limited by single phase 100amp supply…

Do you know roughly what your Annual kWh consumption is, including your EV charging?

Reason I'm interested, is our Electric use is Massive then, in comparison.

I'm estimating about 20MWh per year. On average, about 1.7MWh per month.

We've got an average sized 3 bedroom detached house. Not big property at all, and currently one EV with home charging.

Was chatting to my father-in-law recently, and they've got a traditional 4 bed detached house where their electric annual consumption is 2.9MWh per year.

He was 'shocked' when I told him what our electric use was.

But I had to remind him that our costs include everything... (heating, cooking, transport : 1200 miles a month, cooling, washing, drying)... and 6.5MWh of that is free Solar with almost zero export.

But even so, I was wondering if any other All Electric homes were very high consumption 😁😇

Last edited:
We have just (on the 3rd full day) moved our heating and hot water to electricity via an air source heat pump. Solar and batteries went in summer 2020 and the last ICE car was sold in spring 2021. We only have the gas hob remaining and a petrol lawn mower, I expect the hob to be changed next.
It’s too early to fully understand want our annual electricity usage will be now the heating is included, but hopefully not too much more expensive than gas would have been for a similar level of warmth!

In 2021, first full year with solar, batteries and EV these are our stats
Consumed 5451 kWh
Generated 5468 kWh
Exported 2800 kWh
Imported 3193 kWh
82% of imports were off peak at 5p per kW, the same rate as we were paid for exports.

It will be interesting to see what this looks like for 2022 now we have the heat pump.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PITA
We have just (on the 3rd full day) moved our heating and hot water to electricity via an air source heat pump. Solar and batteries went in summer 2020 and the last ICE car was sold in spring 2021. We only have the gas hob remaining and a petrol lawn mower, I expect the hob to be changed next.
It’s too early to fully understand want our annual electricity usage will be now the heating is included, but hopefully not too much more expensive than gas would have been for a similar level of warmth!

So you're around 6MWh per year

Very interested to see what your electric use will be, in comparison to what it used to be, before all your upgrades.

Induction Hobs are brilliant. My Wife is a good cook, and she moved from Gas to Induction no problem.

Last edited:
dcsh, I can understand that the petrol lawn mower might remain, even speaking as the owner of three lawn robots!

Would the gas hobs not be retained as a "belt and braces" option?

Having had the power knocked out here for two days last week and a few hours yesterday the option to boil a pan of water for a coffee at any hour of the day or night appeals!

dcsh, I can understand that the petrol lawn mower might remain, even speaking as the owner of three lawn robots!

Having had the power knocked out here for two days last week and a few hours yesterday the option to boil a pan of water for a coffee at any hour of the day or night appeals!
Certainly a valid point about the hob and one for consideration, although the camping stove is in the garage;-)
I expect a lawn mower upgrade will be driven by the petrol one coming to the end of its life, probably don’t use more than 5 liters per year, so not a high priority.

Mostly electric here.
One EV (housemate moved out with his BMW I3), electric cooking and Air to Air Heat Pump which I use except on REALLY cold days, where it gets supplemented by gas. Hot water is gas-only. I do approximately 17000 miles per year on average.
I have solar and 2 Powerwalls.
I also have a fair amount of IT equipment and my baseline consumption is about 600 or 700W.

Last year I used a total of 15.09 MWh, of which 7.54MWh were from the grid. I generated 8.35MWh of solar, the vast majority of which either went directly to the house or to the Powerwalls.
98% of the grid imports were at cheap rates.

Your values seem to be roughly in keeping with what mine would be were my heating and hot water fully electric, although I have a larger house. It's a new build (2018), though, so perhaps better insulated?

Last edited:
Ok... so that's quite good actually. Around 8.5MWh per year... where most of it is Solar anyway.

But doesn't include Heating.
Oil was £1300 for 2021. At current peak rate 15p/kWh that’s over 8500kWh. If I change to a heat pump, some of my export would cover part of that but electric will be going up.

20MWh does seem a lot but your EV mileage is higher. Mine’s 2500 mile p.a. PHEV has been less over the pandemic too.
with nothing running except standby stuff, house ticks over on 200-300Wh

My place is a large 3 bed bungalow with an empty 1 bed granny annex that friends and family stay in

Oil was £1300 for 2021. At current peak rate 15p/kWh that’s over 8500kWh. If I change to a heat pump, some of my export would cover part of that but electric will be going up.

20MWh does seem a lot but your EV mileage is higher. Mine’s 2500 mile p.a. PHEV has been less over the pandemic too.
with nothing running except standby stuff, house ticks over on 200-300Wh

My place is a large 3 bed bungalow with an empty 1 bed granny annex that friends and family stay in
7912kWh in 2021 in 4-bedroom detached house. Oil boiler for heating (no gas in the village), hot water from immersion heater (mainly at Octopus 5p at night), electricity for everything else. Occasional brief use of air-air HP in main bedroom. Regular hob, not induction. Two EVs, combined annual mileage ~11,000. Ticking over consumption is about 330W.

I used 12 MWh in 2021, that’s 2 EVs (not a huge amount of mileage though last year - maybe 10000 miles between the two of them) and heating/hot water/cooking for a 4 bed detached home. I work from home so the heating is always on during the day

Mostly electric here.
One EV (housemate moved out with his BMW I3), electric cooking and Air to Air Heat Pump which I use except on REALLY cold days, where it gets supplemented by gas. Hot water is gas-only. I do approximately 17000 miles per year on average.
I have solar and 2 Powerwalls.
I also have a fair amount of IT equipment and my baseline consumption is about 600 or 700W.

Last year I used a total of 15.09 MWh, of which 7.54MWh were from the grid. I generated 8.35MWh of solar, the vast majority of which either went directly to the house or to the Powerwalls.
98% of the grid imports were at cheap rates.

Your values seem to be roughly in keeping with what mine would be were my heating and hot water fully electric, although I have a larger house. It's a new build (2018), though, so perhaps better insulated?

Ok, that's a relief...

My 20MWh is an estimate, only because I have 4 months of data over Winter. So it very well could be less and more closer to yours in reality.

We've also got over 60 connected devices at home and base loading is around 500w

So looks like we're mirroring your setup very closely...

Nope don't need Gas in the house, but yes I agree with failover that's why we have two Powerwalls & Solar on an isolation Gateway, able to back up electricity to the house for up to 2 days if necessary. 10kW capability will power just about anything in the house.

Failing all that (EMP Strike, Alien Mothership overhead) then we can fall back on camping stove.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Interesting data in this thread.
We use gas to heat the house, but only in the colder 8 months.
PV panels and 3kw battery storage,
Electricity for everything else.
2021 total electricity 9256 kwh, including charging the EV from June onwards.

The gas boiler is 8 years old, when it dies we will consider air source heat pump: the house is a large 5 bed but even so is classed as EPC B.

We are pretty much all electric -

About 14MWh annually.

CARS: Tesla M3, Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi iMIev.
SOLAR PV: just upgraded from 3.2kW to 9.14kW but too early to see much consumption difference.
SOLAR WATER (150 evacuated tubes)
LOG Burner: 8 Tonnes per year logs plus 2 tonnes briquettes.
DEMAND: AGA 30A storage, some electric water in the winter. Electric Cooker (summer when the Aga is off). Very occasional backup Propane for cooking (when the power is off). Usual collection of domestic appliances. Sporadic use of electric heating for cold corners in the winter.

Hidden Vehicles: Nissan Navara - sorry but the EV's simply won't pull 3 tonnes or go where the Navara goes!

• Love
Once I get my M3LR I will be all electric. My house doesn't have a gas supply anymore.

I heat the house and hot water with a 12KW NIBE heat pump. My next step after the Tesla, maybe next year, is to get solar and battery storage. A survey revealed I should expect around 3,000 KW/h per year, which is roughly 40% of my current energy use BEFORE the Tesla.