Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All EV Rally, BC 2 BC (Canada 2 Mexico) June 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sounds like a ringer Tony! Of course, Terry still has to actually ride a motorcycle 1500 miles - that sounds like work to me :)

Thanks for organizing this. I am looking into driving my Model S as part of this but still need to sort out details on vacation time, if I can borrow/rent/buy a Roadster power adaptor for the Model S, look at plans to blog the trip, etc. Seems like this could be a lot of fun. I am attending TesLive so would drive from Blaine to San Ysidro to Freemont then finally back to Seattle.

How many of us are really doing a double rally I wonder? As Six, I too will be doing the round trip, including attendance at TESLIVE. I think that Tony is doing the same?

I plan to test out the southern Oregon / Hwy 101 charging infrastructure on my return trip. So far, it looks like RV campgrounds for charges to get from northern California up to Florence.

Yes, I'm driving the double trip, and leaving in just a few days to show up in Blaine, Washington. We will be having a ribbon cutting event over the border in Surrey, BC, for a brand new DC CHAdeMO charger (one of the first in the province) on Friday, June 28. I don't know of anybody shipping their car yet.

I'm delayed in leaving since I'm waiting for some bling to be shipped to my house. I just got word today that Teslaccessories was able to create an exclusive Black Standard CCI to award as a prize (value: $869) to the winning Model S owner. That's right, folks... you could win this during your little west coast tour starting on June 29, 2013.

We're also giving away other bling at the launch party. If you are in Washington state or British Columbia, please join us to cheer on your fellow EV drivers:

BC2BC-2013.EventBrite.com

standardcci_grande.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to test out the southern Oregon / Hwy 101 charging infrastructure on my return trip. So far, it looks like RV campgrounds for charges to get from northern California up to Florence.

I just came up that way in my Model S. The charging is indeed slower, but it's a MUCH nicer drive than I-5.

A lot of the best charging is indeed 14-50's at campgrounds. My favorite stop was at the Solar Learning Center in Hopland CA. Nice grounds, two free solar-powered 14-50's, they have a store with snacks, and it's not far to walk in to town for real food. I didn't stop in Benbow CA; but the Benbow Inn has a free 14-50 for customers, and the food is supposed to be really good. The Fire Department in Arcata has a free 14-50 in back; though I didn't stop there either.

Clos Du Bois winery in Geyserville CA has free solar-powered Chargepoints under cover; and the wine tasting is free but it's only 30A and there's nothing else to do there. There's also a 30A at the Super 8 in Ukiah that's available to the public. And a solar-powered 30A Chargepoint under cover in front of the police station in Bandon OR with lots of restaurants nearby.

All of these are on a non-exhaustive (for example, I don't show any of the Green Highway stops in OR!) map HERE. (Many of them are courtesy of Zextraterrestrial).

Powertech Labs Inc., a Subsidiary of BCHydro, will host a Prequel Event to the BC2BC "All Electric Vehicle Rally", in addition to the Grand Opening of their new charging plaza and Tech Park. Located just 18 miles north of the BC2BC rally launch point at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington, USA, the Prequel Event will commence on Friday, June 28, 2013 when Alec Tsang of BC Hydro will speak a few words about the Tech Park and its role in studying electric vehicle (EV) charging.

I will be on hand to talk about electric cars and the upcoming rally that starts the following day, Saturday, June 29, 2013. The rally will start at the border of British Columbia (BC), Canada and the USA, and end at the border of Baja California (BC), Mexico and the USA nine days later, hence "BC2BC". About 12 all-electric vehicles will be participating along the West Coast Electric Highway.

Powertech is located at 12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey, BC and now has four Level 2 - J1772 charging stations to recharge all modern day electric cars, in addition to the first public CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger in British Columbia. CHAdeMO can recharge cars like the Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi iMiEV in about 30 minutes. Powertech is strategically located close to many businesses and services which may be useful to electric vehicle drivers while their car recharges, such as a nearby Walmart, tire and auto parts stores, shopping and dining.

Both rally vehicles and spectators to the rally launch event and concurrent International Golden Plug Ceremony will be able to use these charging stations on Friday and Saturday, June 28 and 29, 2013. The International Golden Plug Ceremony is an official celebration of the joining of the West Coast Electric Highway between Washington state and the province of British Columbia, scheduled between 11am and 1pm on Saturday, June 29, 2013, at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington.

Powertech Labs Inc.
12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey,
British Columbia, Canada, V3W 7R7

Phone: 604-590-6638
Web: Clean Energy Consulting | Engineering Consulting Services | Powertech

Last edited:
Anyone in the bay area going to meet up with the rally at Santa Rosa?
When is the best time to go, Thurs July 4 evening to meet cars as they arrive, or Fri morning to see cars off?
Do I just look for all the dirty EVs and hang around the parking lot?

If anyone plans on taking coastal 101 on the way down or up (much prettier!) give me a PM if you want!

I would really have liked to do the BC/BC trip but without dual inverters / chademo it would be a couple of weeks and I'd rather drive across the entire US and back if it will take that much time.

Have fun!

The difference is only 20 miles between 5 and 101. I might do it, but it depends on a bunch of variables. You can still get in!

You do realize that I'm doing this with a single 40 amp Tesla charger and no CHAdeMO? Plus, a car without real aerodynamics!!!

Berry Patch Restaurant, Orlando, CA going to the starting line:

null-6-1.jpg

Last edited:
Washington State Department of Transportation
WSDOT Headquarters – P.O. Box 47322 - Olympia, WA 98504 -- 360-705-7000

MEDIA ADVISORY
June 26, 2013

Media invited to kickoff of international electric-vehicle rally
Dignitaries from Washington, British Columbia hold Golden Plug ceremony

OLYMPIA – The media is invited to attend a celebration at the Peace Arch State Park near the USA/Canada border, where a dozen electric-vehicle drivers will begin the journey from Canada to Mexico powered solely by electricity. Drivers will make the 1,500-mile, nine-day road trip – called the BC2BC (British Columbia to Baja California) – without using a drop of gas.

Join Washington Secretary of Transportation Lynn Peterson, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs Norm Letnick and other dignitaries for the “Golden Plug” ceremony, which symbolically connects the electric vehicle fast-charging network along the West Coast Electric Highway.

International Golden Plug ceremony and launch of BC2BC 2013

When: 10 a.m. Saturday, June 29

Where: Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA
(I-5 Exit 276 at USA/Canada border)

Speakers: Pete Kremen, Whatcom County councilmember
Blaine Mayor Harry Robinson
Don Hoch, director, Washington State Parks
Lynn Peterson, Washington Secretary of Transportation
Norm Letnick, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs
Tony Williams, BC2BC electric-vehicle rally organizer

Visuals: Several all-electric vehicles, including the Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Nissan Leaf
AAA roadside-assistance truck with electric-vehicle chargers
Displays and handouts

Opportunities: Reporters may test drive an electric vehicle, go for a short ride with one of the rally participants and interview EV drivers.

Directions: Take I-5 north to Exit 276, the last exit before the Canadian border. Take second right at the roundabout on 2nd Street and follow the signs to the park. At the entrance, a parking attendant will direct you to the event.

Schedule:
10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Public display of electric vehicles; show-and-tell with EV drivers.
11 a.m. International Golden Plug ceremony.
12 p.m. Launch of all-electric vehicle rally. Crowds wave flags and cheer EV drivers leaving every five minutes.

For more information on this event visit: BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event

Hyperlinks within the release:
West Coast Electric Highway: West Coast Green Highway: Home
###
WSDOT keeps people, businesses and the economy moving by operating and improving the state's transportation systems. To learn more about what we're doing, go to WSDOT - News Releases
for pictures, videos, news and blogs. Real time traffic information is available at Washington State Traveler Information
or by dialing 511. To unsubscribe to WSDOT media releases please reply and type REMOVE in the subject line.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope I don't need any gas:

null-4.jpg

The BC2BC All Electric Vehicle Rally has begun with all vehicles departing the Peace Arch State Park, Sat. June 29, 2013 from the Canadian border, with 1500 miles to go to Mexico:

12:09pm - Car #43 (Model S)
12:12pm - Car #2 (iMiev)
12:15pm - Car #4 (LEAF)
12:18pm - Car #3 (LEAF)
12:21pm - Car #45 (Roadster)
12:24pm - Car #6 (Model S)
12:27pm - Car #8 (Model S)
12:31pm - Car #5 (ZERO)
12:34pm - Car #1 (Rav4 EV)

Facebook "All Electric Vehicle Rally"

BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event

@QCpower #BC2BC