Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Four Rotors destroyed at 15,000kms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is infuriating. Tesla doesn't want to warranty it. Claiming wear and tear. Brakes have over 90% life left, but I have to change them. This should not be classified as "wear & tear".

I use Regen. But I do drive fast so end up using the brakes quite often. We drive probably on average 20kms/day. Some days I take it biking, so 150kms.

I always drive the car after a wash.
I have never been to a track.

We got rid of our 2015 Model S as it was costing us so much money to maintain and repair, and bought a Performance Model3 so we can have warranty protect us.

20210503_120148.jpg

2021's cannot lower the regen I think. Anyway, you don't need to lower the regen, you just need to use your brakes a bit. Even in "1-pedal driving" and at standard regen, I need to apply the brakes about half the times I stop at a stop sign or red light. I don't need hard braking, but I need them a bit. Just let go of the accelerator a bit later and stop in a shorter distance than you typically do.
EDIT: Do be careful not bumping the car in front if there's one :) Alternatively you can go and do a few harder brake passes in an empty parking lot.

As everyone else has said, you just need to bed your brakes.

Most ICE vehicles don't need to go through a formal brake bedding procedure (notwithstanding certain performance brakes), as just normal driving will bed in the non-performance pads that are stock on most vehicles.

But since the majority of the stopping force of BEV vehicles is via regen, the brakes just aren't used enough to properly bed in the brakes. Your statement of "90% brake left" combined with the photos of your rotors is pretty much proof-positive that your brakes didn't properly bed.

Read up on brake bedding procedures, and use your brakes a lot more afterward for a while. If the rotors don't clean up, get yourself a new set of pads, put them on, bed them correctly, and the rotors will most likely clean right up.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Looks like your pads might be slightly stuck in their outboard guides/pins such that only the loose inboard portions are regularly making contact. Likely the result of salt/dirt combined with rare use of firm braking. Try pressing very hard on the pedal while stopped to see if they crack loose and gradually begin to wear more evenly.

This is infuriating. Tesla doesn't want to warranty it. Claiming wear and tear. Brakes have over 90% life left, but I have to change them. This should not be classified as "wear & tear".

I use Regen. But I do drive fast so end up using the brakes quite often. We drive probably on average 20kms/day. Some days I take it biking, so 150kms.

I always drive the car after a wash.
I have never been to a track.

We got rid of our 2015 Model S as it was costing us so much money to maintain and repair, and bought a Performance Model3 so we can have warranty protect us.

View attachment 659484
Are you a new driver? I mean how long have you been driving? Are your brakes not working? Who told you you need new rotors? Did you get a 2nd opinion? Did you do a search for other threads on rotor wear?

Reactions: cdswm3
I'm often amazed at how little of the capabilities of a car people are aware of, but there is always a chance to learn.

Go find a safe stretch of road. Get up to 80 KPH (about 2 seconds of full acceleration). Stand on the brakes. As hard as you can. Don't worry, ABS will keep you safe and your tires healthy. Come to a full stop. Now drive away normally.

Two things will happen: You'll know what "using the brakes" means and you'll know just how much capability your car has, and your rotors will be perfectly shiny afterwards.

Are you a new driver? I mean how long have you been driving? Are your brakes not working? Who told you you need new rotors? Did you get a 2nd opinion? Did you do a search for other threads on rotor wear?
I'm 42, and have 5 cars that I drive regularly. I do use the brakes from time to time as I do speed a lot.

Tesla told me they need to be replaced, but also suggested a brake service. They blamed it on the fact that my wheels were powder coated black. That's BS because I've read other stories online and they didn't have painted wheels.

I'm also experiencing vibrations when braking, I think that's why they recommended replacing them, rather than machining.

• Funny
Reactions: Traguar
I'm often amazed at how little of the capabilities of a car people are aware of, but there is always a chance to learn.

Go find a safe stretch of road. Get up to 80 KPH (about 2 seconds of full acceleration). Stand on the brakes. As hard as you can. Don't worry, ABS will keep you safe and your tires healthy. Come to a full stop. Now drive away normally.

Two things will happen: You'll know what "using the brakes" means and you'll know just how much capability your car has, and your rotors will be perfectly shiny afterwards.
Dude, I know how to drive, and brake. I have an Aventador SV, and an AMG GTR, believe me, they both require me to brake. And I do brake a lot in my Model3 as well. I'll try braking harder tonight on my way home a few times, and report back tomorrow.

2021's cannot lower the regen I think. Anyway, you don't need to lower the regen, you just need to use your brakes a bit. Even in "1-pedal driving" and at standard regen, I need to apply the brakes about half the times I stop at a stop sign or red light. I don't need hard braking, but I need them a bit. Just let go of the accelerator a bit later and stop in a shorter distance than you typically do.
EDIT: Do be careful not bumping the car in front if there's one :) Alternatively you can go and do a few harder brake passes in an empty parking lot.
Mine is a low mileage 2019. I'm gonna do some hard braking tonight and see how it goes.

Dude, I know how to drive, and brake. I have an Aventador SV, and an AMG GTR, believe me, they both require me to brake.
Nice garage. With cars like those you should really head out to the track a few times and get some instruction. It's really the only way to appreciate such amazing cars, and those are some seriously amazing cars.

But "driving fast" does not equal braking, and the fact of the matter is those brakes look like ones that have hardly ever been used. I've instructed on race tracks (in Lambos even!) and I'm amazed at how little of the brakes the average new track driver uses and most of the slowdown is engine braking all while exclaiming "this thing handles amazing!". I'd imagine the strong regen in a Tesla makes this even more likely.

Hope the hard braking works out for ya. If you were in Seattle I'd trade you rotors because I bet your 9K mile rotors are less used up than my 9K mile rotors ;) My rotors are stained blue from the heat.

Last edited:
If they are original brakes Tesla should have taken care of bedding the brakes at the factory. In any case, your saying you never slammed on the brakes? BTW: does it snow a lot where you live?
Tesla does not bed the brakes at the factory, I can assure you. Where did I say I never slammed on the brakes? What's snow got to do with anything?

Reactions: cdswm3