Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With time passing, some arguments may strengthen and some may weaken. I would not be confident that net effect would be a stronger case over time.

Regardless, I would assume that Tesla really do not want to fight a FSD refund case in court. Stakes are just way too high: a) losing the case might encourage many others (or even a class) to sue, and b) PR would be an expensive disaster. If I assume correctly here, this might help anyone taking legal action. (Note: This is pure speculation on my part)

Reactions: dbldwn02
I’m in a similar situation… I just purchased a CPO 2017 MCU1 car advertised with FSD… the car has AP2.0 so required the upgrade to AP 3.0 hardware… At delivery I pointed out the fact that it was advertised as having FSD and does not. They made appointment for the camera upgrade… another issue was AP was/is not working at all and they were not able to fix it before I had to take delivery… was there 4 hours and had no way of getting home 1.5 hour drive away. There were other small issues with the car none of which were deal breakers but if they can’t get AP working as well as FSD I’ll no doubt be filing a complaint with the state attorney general’s office and seeking legal action against them!

I’m in a similar situation… I just purchased a CPO 2017 MCU1 car advertised with FSD… the car has AP2.0 so required the upgrade to AP 3.0 hardware… At delivery I pointed out the fact that it was advertised as having FSD and does not. They made appointment for the camera upgrade… another issue was AP was/is not working at all and they were not able to fix it before I had to take delivery… was there 4 hours and had no way of getting home 1.5 hour drive away. There were other small issues with the car none of which were deal breakers but if they can’t get AP working as well as FSD I’ll no doubt be filing a complaint with the state attorney general’s office and seeking legal action against them!
Mcu2 is a requirement for FSD. Good luck getting them to upgrade your mcu1 for free. They most likely won't. $1750 plus tax

Mcu2 is a requirement for FSD…
Not exactly. FSD doesn’t exist yet, so unclear if FSD will work with MCU1. And MCU2 is required but not sufficient for FSD Beta, which does exist. You also need a safety score. And to get accepted, which happens in spurts.

You also need camera upgrades, as you mentioned, but MCU1 cars aren’t getting those done for free yet, since you can’t get into the beta anyway. I think you should try to get the camera upgrade anyway now and see what happens.

Last edited:
Well the car was advertised as having FSD which is advertised as included all features of Enhanced Autopilot… which includes navigate on autopilot which is not possible with mcu1….
Maybe you can post the exact language so we can make sure we’re talking about the same thing. Full Self Driving hardware? A Full Self Driving license?

Navigate on Autopilot is definitely possible on MCU1. I use it all the time.

Not exactly. FSD doesn’t exist yet, so unclear if FSD will work with MCU1. And MCU2 is required but not sufficient for FSD Beta, which does exist. You also need a safety score. And to get accepted, which happens in spurts.
True true.

When do you think Tesla stops calling it "FSD Beta" and then starts calling it "FSD for everyone (Beta)", since it'll probably always be a Beta like 50% of the features in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: hybridbear