Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has now postponed my Service appointment for "fixing broken dash cam" five times since I contacted them about the issue in August. Next appointment date is on Monday - lets see if they again just cancel the appointment on the previous day (today) without a warning or come up with some other excuse.

Car in service. Team at the service center was professional and understood the issue.

Now I can only hope they will do the right thing and fix it - even if it might require some extra effort on their side as they likely do not have any standard operating practices for it.

Wish me luck :)

Car in service. Team at the service center was professional and understood the issue.

Now I can only hope they will do the right thing and fix it - even if it might require some extra effort on their side as they likely do not have any standard operating practices for it.

Wish me luck :)
I wish you the best, but I'm guessing the answer will be "there is no fix at this time, the only fix is to buy MCU2".

Reactions: dbldwn02
This might sound stupid but WHY are they letting you opt in the Safety Score if you have not even been invited to CAM update?
It's obvious that when they started teasing us with the FSD button Tesla did not know we needed to upgrade cameras.

It's pretty obvious to me since they told me that all in needed to do is MCU2/HW3 upgrade to subscribe to FSD (hence wasting my time and money)

Tesla representative CONFIRMED that FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video

My car has been in service center for diagnosis Monday-Friday this week. Their representative just confirmed the following on phone:
  • Issue is CPU usage in MCU1 + HW3 FSD computer configuration
  • Multiple Tesla customers have the same issue
  • Tesla engineering team is investigating the issue and planning for a solution
  • They do not have any estimate when that investigation might complete. I specifically asked if that would be "days or years or something in between" and the service representative said that he do not know
  • Tesla engineer confirmed during my visit to the service center that installation of MCU2 would solve the issue. I asked if Tesla would go ahead and solve the issue by installing MCU2 now that they know that it would fix the issue, they refused. Instead they want to continue investigating the issue (without any timeline) and decide solution after that.
  • When asked to speak with someone who would be authorized to decide on fixing the issue, Tesla representative initially refused. When I asked ifs the only way to get them to fix this (warranty) issue is taking legal action, they confirmed that this would be my choice. Later in the call they said that I could speak with customer service representative, but said that they would just be repeating the same above position.
In short, Tesla confirmed that:
  1. Installation of FSD computer in MCU1 car will break dashcam
  2. It is a warranty issue (dashcam is covered under warranty)
  3. They are investigating how to fix the issue, but are not committing to any timeline for actually fixing it
  4. They refuse to fix the issue by installing MCU2 even when they know that it would solve the issue
With this, only ways Tesla offer for getting them to honor their warranty (to fix dashcam they broke with FSD) is either 1) take legal action, or 2) purchase MCU2 and FM tuner for $2000 or 3) wait until they figure out a solution. With their track record with FSD delivery and low priority they have for MCU1, wait may be literally endless.

I would encourage everyone with FSD + MCU1 to contact their service center, discuss the issue, and share here what they learn from those conversations.

Last edited:
Tesla representative CONFIRMED that FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video

My car has been in service center for diagnosis Monday-Friday this week. Their representative just confirmed the following on phone:
  • Issue is CPU usage in MCU1 + HW3 FSD computer configuration
  • Multiple Tesla customers have the same issue
  • Tesla engineering team is investigating the issue and planning for a solution
  • They do not have any estimate when that investigation might complete. I specifically asked if that would be "days or years or something in between" and the service representative said that he do not know
  • Tesla engineer confirmed during my visit to the service center that installation of MCU2 would solve the issue. I asked if Tesla would go ahead and solve the issue by installing MCU2 now that they know that it would fix the issue, they refused. Instead they want to continue investigating the issue (without any timeline) and decide solution after that.
  • When asked to speak with someone who would be authorized to decide on fixing the issue, Tesla representative initially refused. When I asked ifs the only way to get them to fix this (warranty) issue is taking legal action, they confirmed that this would be my choice. Later in the call they said that I could speak with customer service representative, but said that they would just be repeating the same above position.
In short, Tesla confirmed that:
  1. Installation of FSD computer in MCU1 car will break dashcam
  2. It is a warranty issue (dashcam is covered under warranty)
  3. They are investigating how to fix the issue, but are not committing to any timeline for actually fixing it
  4. They refuse to fix the issue by installing MCU2 even when they know that it would solve the issue
With this, only ways Tesla offer for getting them to honor their warranty (to fix dashcam they broke with FSD) is either 1) take legal action, or 2) purchase MCU2 and FM tuner for $2000 or 3) wait until they figure out a solution. With their track record with FSD delivery and low priority they have for MCU1, wait may be literally endless.

I would encourage everyone with FSD + MCU1 to contact their service center, discuss the issue, and share here what they learn from those conversations.
Not surprising. Legal action is the only path forward.

Tesla representative CONFIRMED that FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video"

My service center hates me. But I have the managers cell phone now, so that's kind of cool. No more texting the "techs" that keep calling it "MCC1."

@t3sl4drvr , you were a part of this thread so you already know my story...

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
When picking up the car, I finally got to speak with the service center manager. He promised me a full refund for FSD.

With this, they will be able to fix Dashcam either by downgrading AP back to HW2.5 or maybe their engineering really finds a software fix and no service center visit it needed. I’ll see how the process goes.

Overall, I find this resolution acceptable. No need for taking legal action to resolve the issue.

When picking up the car, I finally got to speak with the service center manager. He promised me a full refund for FSD.
Nice! This would be the first refund I've heard of. Wouldn't be surprised if they NDA'd you before you get any money back. Could open the floodgate for $3k+ refunds for everyone that's being slow rolled on FSD.

I only value FSD at about $100-250 right now. So, it would be a good idea to get a refund of the $3k+ right before someone sells their car. The only thing the new owner would be missing out on, is stopping at green and red lights. EAP includes all other FSD features at the moment, and for the foreseeable future. (Based on MCU1 and old cameras)

Did you pay taxes on the $5000 Purchase cost?. What about interest paid (if you had a loan on that sum?) Based on your understanding are the SC's now authorized to do refunds?

No tax was charged for this purchase that was done through their app and paid with a credit card.

I think there is no policy change. Just this one Tesla SC manager doing their best in resolving a troubling situation Tesla had accidentally put their customer in.

I am sure, breaking dashcams is just an oversight from lack of testing no-one had considered even a possibility. Performance regression test catching such a case where errors occur only with lots of movement in cameras would be tricky to build. When one moves fast, things sometimes break. That would be ok if customer is taken well care of.

IMO the real broken part of the process is letting such a problem sit unhandled for several months (in service ticket) instead of someone sufficiently senior there taking ownership of the issue early on. This lead to a horrible customer experience and a lot of wasted time on both sides. If they would have just gave me a call, I could have helped their team engineering team debug and solve the issue.

Reactions: Reyno626

With this, they will be able to fix Dashcam either by downgrading AP back to HW2.5 or maybe their engineering really finds a software fix and no service center visit it needed. I’ll see how the process goes.

Overall, I find this resolution acceptable. No need for taking legal action to resolve the issue.
Wouldn’t it be easier if they offered you a free upgrade to MCU2? Or is that not an acceptable solution? Not that they’d offer that …

Reactions: Solar40 and Matias
Worth considering that by March 2022 the initial 4-year limited warranty on MCU1 ends, unless opting for the third-party extended warranty to 8 years (costing thousands). After that, no guarantees of fix from Tesla at all. So perhaps weigh up MCU2 cost vs having a third-party dashcam install (with superior front/rear capture, but obviously no repeaters). If it is a processing resource issue with AP3, which remember is dedicated neural net in hardware (replacing storage/processing previously expanded into by MCU1 to barely achieve working dashcam), then really only a hardware upgrade will work. Here's hoping that Tesla Engineering do find the cause of CPU spiking before then, as there's a slim potential for software-based load optimisation).

Here's hoping that Tesla Engineering do find the cause of CPU spiking before then, as there's a slim potential for software-based load optimisation).

(guessing here)

Optimization should be as simple as configuring FSD computers HW based MPEG encoders with more quantified (pre DCT) stream. This would leave less data for MCU2 (Tegra) to store and essentially restore CPU load to MCU1-like level.