Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All FSD/HW3 + MCU1 cars record broken dashcam video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(guessing here)

Optimization should be as simple as configuring FSD computers HW based MPEG encoders with more quantified (pre DCT) stream. This would leave less data for MCU2 (Tegra) to store and essentially restore CPU load to MCU1-like level.
The above is filled with typos. Meant to write:

Optimization should be as simple as configuring FSD computer's HW based MPEG encoder with more quantified (post DCT) stream. This would leave less data for MCU1 (Tegra) to store and essentially restore CPU load to pre-FSD like level.

Reactions: hybridbear
Now in my remaining quarter of limited warranty, I got to thinking about what was promised versus reality, i.e. laggy UI/volume/maps, non-working/poor voice recognition, non-localised & non-opening owner’s manual, corrupt/missing/curtailed dash cam recordings, Speed Assist outdated DB, 2019 navigation maps, AutoPark rare to offer, Summon requiring Keep WiFi On While Driving to work, soft restarts taking 7 minutes.

The last one in particular stood out as it does heavily suggest something is wrong with the software/hardware with MCU1+AP3 combination. Then again, perhaps Tesla quietly made a soft restart a hard restart with full power-off.

Now in my remaining quarter of limited warranty, I got to thinking about what was promised versus reality, i.e. laggy UI/volume/maps, non-working/poor voice recognition, non-localised & non-opening owner’s manual, corrupt/missing/curtailed dash cam recordings, Speed Assist outdated DB, 2019 navigation maps, AutoPark rare to offer, Summon requiring Keep WiFi On While Driving to work, soft restarts taking 7 minutes.

The last one in particular stood out as it does heavily suggest something is wrong with the software/hardware with MCU1+AP3 combination. Then again, perhaps Tesla quietly made a soft restart a hard restart with full power-off.

MCU1+FSD is simply broken. Tesla's expectations seemed to have been that every owner just upgrades to MCU2 on their own cost and the have not put any effort in fixing MCU1+FSD. While they could support the combination and probably planned to do so, they just have not done it.

Now that all MCU1 cars will shortly be out of warranty, I would not expect Tesla to increase its focus to this configuration: it is way too easy for them to just tell customers "your car is out of warranty, fix requires MCU2. Do you want to order that for $1500. Also, there is an additional cost of $500 for keeping your FM receiver."

Reactions: dbldwn02
Is it possible to upload a copy of the statement/service invoice? You can freely grey out name and Vin, but building a similar case.

Sure...

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 2.28.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 2.29.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 2.29.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 2.29.16 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: All In and dbldwn02
Quick update: Service center manager who promised to get back to me on the refund process has not done so. Tesla customer service person who he tasked to review FSD receipt have not replied to any emails. Service center general contact email is not responding.

Agreement on FSD return/refund was very clear and recorded on video. Thus sufficient evidence exists.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Advice for anyone having a dispute with Tesla is to collect evidence in case you need it later:
  • Record all interactions with Tesla employees. Do that openly to avoid breaking any laws regarding recording conversations. Having a video camera recording while visiting service center is awkward, but unfortunately needed.
  • Take copies of all correspondence you have through their app. Tesla will remove your access to old conversations when they close the service issue. Sometimes they do close the issue without any warning, so taking screenshots along the way is essential.
My experience is that one cannot just trust Tesla making things right for the customer. Their employees are nice and will do their best, but the company policies sometimes prevent them from resolving the issue. Also, it does not help that Tesla has "moved fast and broken things" while building their products - leaving a complex technological mess behind where their customer promises have not always matched the "engineering reality".

Last edited:
Quick update: Service center manager who promised to get back to me on the refund process has not done so. Tesla customer service person who he tasked to review FSD receipt have not replied to any emails. Service center general contact email is not responding.

Agreement on FSD return/refund was very clear and recorded on video. Thus sufficient evidence exists.

That makes me a sad panda. But I'm also not super surprised.

In my opinion, I think your only option is to arbitrate or small claims. It's a bummer but I think they're just hoping people will continue to bend over and take it.

• Disagree
Reactions: nimrooz
I think I'll wait until FSD Beta goes wide...meaning no safety score required. I'm in no rush to drive like someone with a 98+ "safety score". Once that happens, I'm the first person in line for arbitration. They have 60 days to respond before going to the AAA.

Arbitration Instructions
Agreement to Arbitrate. Please carefully read this provision, which applies to any dispute between you and Tesla, Inc. and its affiliates, (together “Tesla”). If you have a concern or dispute, please send a written notice describing it and your desired resolution to [email protected]. If not resolved within 60 days, you agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship between you and Tesla will not be decided by a judge or jury but instead by a single arbitrator in an arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its Consumer Arbitration Rules. This includes claims arising before this Agreement, such as claims related to statements about our products. We will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration, which will be held in the city or county of your residence. To learn more about the Rules and how to begin an arbitration, you may call any AAA office or go to www.adr.org. The arbitrator may only resolve disputes between you and Tesla, and may not consolidate claims without the consent of all parties. The arbitrator cannot hear class or representative claims or requests for relief on behalf of others purchasing or leasing Tesla vehicles. In other words, you and Tesla may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action. If a court or arbitrator decides that any part of this agreement to arbitrate cannot be enforced as to a particular claim for relief or remedy, then that claim or remedy (and only that claim or remedy) must be brought in court and any other claims must be arbitrated. If you prefer, you may instead take an individual dispute to small claims court.

• Informative
Reactions: t3sl4drvr