TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

All glass roof now available on Model S

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hingisfan, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Pretty cool, I'd get this option for sure. . . No bar across, and no air leak worries, max headroom. Nice to have option for the opening roof too, For those that like that style

• Like x 1
  2. Buddy

Buddy Member

No roof rack capabilities or the option to open is a "slight" deterrence but definitely a cool option. The cross beam on the pano roof is giant compared to other vehicles with panoramic sunroofs such as the Hyundai Sonata I use to own.

3. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Elon just tweeted about it as well. I'd choose it over the regular sunroof....mine get's opened ~5 times a year, and normally closed shortly thereafter because it's too noisy. With the all-glass option, you get the benefit of the extra headroom, without the squeaks.

• Like x 3
  4. green1

green1 Active Member

That's an interesting option, but I don't think I'd chose it personally.

Also interesting to note, no roof rack, and no XM radio with that option, plus no opening. the lack of the cross bar is neat, but I don't know about the trade-off. On the bright side, the pricing is appropriate (less than the pano roof, more than body colour)

5. jgs

jgs Active Member

I chose the pano partly to keep the rack option open, so I'd probably go that way again. Hard to say for sure though without better photography of the option, or really without sitting in one.

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Tesla is likely to benefit from offering this option. For many, the reason to choose the pano option was for the "open feel" or the added headspace. Owners who choose this roof over the pano will limit Tesla's warranty exposure to pano roof claims. Also, Tesla has the ability to work out the manufacturing and usability issues with this roof prior to the Model 3 release.

I think it's a great option for many. I still open my pano, but not terribly often. Given the (likely) quieter drive, I'd choose the glass roof if I were ordering today.

• Like x 1
  7. green1

green1 Active Member

Would it likely be any quieter than a closed pano? I don't see why it would be.

I tend to open the pano on hot days before getting to the car to vent the heat, I don't tend to drive with it. (something I never imagined before having a car with a remote app, but it's one of the most used features of the app for me)

8. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

You must have one of the more quiet pano roofs. Mine squeaks with bumps and jiggles and occasionally rattles. I was under the assumption that a lot of them made at least some noise on bumpy roads. Maybe that was my mistake.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

Didn't realize it was a common problem, mine's dead quiet. I have heard of people having those issues, but they seem to generally be addressed under warranty.

10. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

My pano needs to be fixed every 3 months. Squeaks, creaks, rattles, clicks, clanks, wind noise, etc. Multiple service centers cannot fix it. I'd take the solid glass roof in a second, because I love the look and open feeling in the cabin.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

Out of curiosity, have they upgraded you to the new model of pano roof? I gather that's the real fix (or if they have, maybe it isn't?)

12. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

As I understand it, the new pano roof design isn't compatible with the old one like I have. Can't just switch it. Or at least that's what I've been told.

13. jgs

jgs Active Member

My pano's been trouble-free, quiet as the grave. Delivered March 2015.

• Like x 1
  14. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I open mine all the time. Every car I have had since 1987 has had a sunroof or been a convertible. I'm not changing now.

• Like x 1
  15. green1

green1 Active Member

My understanding is that they have to replace the side rails too (the area where the roof rack attachments are), but that it's compatible if they do that. (but a fair amount of work)

16. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I'll ask again next time I'm there. Worth a shot. Hopefully covered under the extended warranty, as I'm well past the original one.

17. green1

green1 Active Member

My understanding is that the more modern roofs are much better than the original ones.

Mine's been perfect, and seems to be the second most recent version.

18. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

I got the old roof by like 1 week.. It was squeaking a lot. They fixed it. Sometimes I get a small squick now but it's really a lot less. My "temporary" fix when it was doing it a lot was opening the roof and closing it. Noise was gone for between 5 minutes to hours. Depends.

19. Owner

Owner Active Member

My pano roof has been trouble free except in the very beginning when I had some extra grease, that's it. early VIN.

I would not want to loose the ability to open the sunroof. We all need our Vitamin D and sometimes just 5 minutes of it open feels so good.

20. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

[​IMG]
    Full article at:
    10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling - The Oatmeal