Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I do not want a ped warning on my car - and I may get another new Tesla. Is this a Model 3 only feature/addition?
This is all a little crazy. On the list of "things" this is something you hardly notice going backwards and do not notice going forwards. Anything can be unplugged if you really care which it 10X easier than applying vinyl all over your car, people are making this into something that its not. It is not in your face loud, or even that noticeable. Unless you plan on running someone over quietly, I would just leave it alone.

Although changing the sound would be cool, so +1 for that software update.

...what an annoying sound Tesla chose.
Janice Friends.gif

I would think that disconnecting it would be easy but probably illegal if they were mandating that EV’s require this.

If a pedestrian were to get hit and they discovered you unplugged or even muffled this “Safety Feature” a lawyer could easily have a field day with this.

Reactions: Rothgarr
AFAIK the law is only that OEMs manufacturing a passenger vehicle after a certain date are required to have one; there's not much in the law mandating that owners maintain it in operational status. Each state could quite conceivably update its own vehichle inspection regimen to include a PWS for vechicles after a certian build date just as they require seat belts after a certain build date. But that would require state legislators to start legislating.

Reactions: Hank42
Seatbelts are also OEM and illegal to remove. I did not think that was a state by state issue but more of a federal issue due to its nature in safety. Dunno, not a legal guy here at all but I am guessing if its not the law it will be soon and unplugging it could bring a world of hurt.

Seatbelts are also OEM and illegal to remove. I did not think that was a state by state issue but more of a federal issue due to its nature in safety. Dunno, not a legal guy here at all but I am guessing if its not the law it will be soon and unplugging it could bring a world of hurt.

(Context: US)

I am not familiar with any federal post-purchase vehicle inspection regimen. Every state I have lived in or contemplated living in has its own such regimen. However, these inspections are periodic at best and it's very common for people to modify their vehicles out of compliant spec, and only bring it back into complience when it comes time for inspection (or it's so noticeable they get pulled over and issued so-called "fix-it tickets").

Some states are more rigorous than others. Vermont's twice-yearly inspection is rather detailed and well-enforced, while Arizona barely ensures you have four wheels, a VIN, and a functioning catylitic converter (in the case of an ICE).

Some states are more rigorous than others. Vermont's twice-yearly inspection is rather detailed and well-enforced, while Arizona barely ensures you have four wheels, a VIN, and a functioning catylitic converter (in the case of an ICE).

Yep, Oregon is just an emissions test, and you can do it yourself with an OBD-II device if your car is 2005 or newer. No check of anything else.

Not talking about active checks in the state. More about a pedestrian hit by a car that had a safety feature modified and the pedestrian did not hear you coming because you unplugged this OEM device. It's the pedestrians attorney that will come after you not the state.

Reactions: mnevar
I would love to know how a lawyer will know if you unplugged your speaker or if you purchased it prior to them being included. That would be a hell of a lawyer and worth every cent!!!

Well, there's a brief period of time where the vehicles were manufactured with grills in the bottom panel for the speaker to mount to, but no speaker was mounted (roughly March 2019 to September 2019). But for the most part, vehicles without the grill or the speaker physically installed are easily identified next to vehicles with.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not talking about active checks in the state. More about a pedestrian hit by a car that had a safety feature modified and the pedestrian did not hear you coming because you unplugged this OEM device. It's the pedestrians attorney that will come after you not the state.

Sure, I too was worried about being sued, by one of the many pedestrians I run over at low speed, if they can prove that my sound has come unplugged. So I plugged mine back in. Now I can run these suckers down without worry............

Last edited: