Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horn broken, right? I can't remember ever, in 50 years of driving, having to noise nudge human beings out of my way
With an ICE vehicle, there is engine noise. An electric vehicle is' much quieter at low speeds, so the speaker gives a minor auditory warning as to its presence without necessitating use of the much louder horn.

While I haven't heard it in the wild (my 3 was made shortly before they started adding it), I believe it will be something I would like to add to my car. There have been instances it would have been handy (there's been a couple of times I just had to wait for slow people as I didn't want to honk my horn).

Reactions: PACEMD
With an ICE vehicle, there is engine noise. An electric vehicle is' much quieter at low speeds, so the speaker gives a minor auditory warning as to its presence without necessitating use of the much louder horn.

While I haven't heard it in the wild (my 3 was made shortly before they started adding it), I believe it will be something I would like to add to my car. There have been instances it would have been handy (there's been a couple of times I just had to wait for slow people as I didn't want to honk my horn).

I was assuming the difference between an ICE vehicle and an EV was understood. I am still unable to envision driving a vehicle at low speed and sneaking up on pedestrians without either the pedestrians or myself being aware. And it is certainly not that all these years driving an ICE vehicle pedestrians magically hear me and jump out of the way. No, I'm not about to give pedestrians a chance to be run over by my vehicle. Not going to happen. Sound is irrelevant in my experience, the driver paying attention is not. As always anticipate that human beings will do the unexpected, factor in sound if you truly believe that to be an issue. And there is always the horn.

My original point was you don't have to lower the window to do a stoplight boombox shoutout, you can just blow your horn. Infinitely more effective, and simpler. I've never had to use a horn for that, including years of driving a taxi in pedestrian overrun New York City, but that option does, nevertheless, exist.

I should also add that in the 25k miles I have driven my P3D I have yet to have pedestrians walking in my path, neither hearing nor seeing a slow-moving vehicle coming toward them. If that were to occur it's so easy to correct that, come to think of it, I might not even notice. Basically don't hit pedestrians. If you think you need sound at low speeds to accomplish that well, knock yourself out. For me, that sound won't change a thing, except for the sound itself being annoying. But I hear you, or maybe I don't...........your mileage may vary by pedestrian bumps........

What I'm saying, Kevin, is I don't disagree with your point, just see it a bit differently.........

Last edited:
Test drove a 2021 model today. Had the ice cream truck sound blaring around the mall and when I went to return the car in the parking garage.

This is by far the greatest fun feature on a Tesla. The amount of people laughing, pointing & being confused was like no other drive in my quiet non speaker Tesla.

I need this retrofit so bad now!

I picked up my 2020 Model 3 from the service center this past weekend and immediately noticed a new sound coming from the front area of my car while driving out of the parking lot. It was a "hissing" sound that got noticeably louder as I accelerated, and it would turn off when I reached about 20 mph. When I spoke to my service advisor about it, I was dismayed to find out that they had updated the firmware in my car which added a wonderfully annoying sound when driving under 20 mph. I understand it's necessary for safety reasons but the sound is audible when my windows are closed. I wish I can turn it down a few notches.

I picked up my 2020 Model 3 from the service center this past weekend and immediately noticed a new sound coming from the front area of my car while driving out of the parking lot. It was a "hissing" sound that got noticeably louder as I accelerated, and it would turn off when I reached about 20 mph. When I spoke to my service advisor about it, I was dismayed to find out that they had updated the firmware in my car which added a wonderfully annoying sound when driving under 20 mph. I understand it's necessary for safety reasons but the sound is audible when my windows are closed. I wish I can turn it down a few notches.
I’ve had the same sound, kind of a whirring noise, for months. I thought there was something wrong with the front motor. It’s not very loud on my car.. I can’t hear it with the windows up.

Question: In my 2021 M3P I only ever hear the pedestrian warning sound when going in reverse; however, I never hear anything going forward. Is that something I have to somehow enable? And, if so, how can I get the same reverse sound effect when driving forward?

Thanks.

Question: In my 2021 M3P I only ever hear the pedestrian warning sound when going in reverse; however, I never hear anything going forward. Is that something I have to somehow enable? And, if so, how can I get the same reverse sound effect when driving forward?

Thanks.
When driving forward, it plays a white noise/static sound. If you mute the audio in the car and drive slowly, you should be able to hear it.

You can use the Boombox to change the sounds from the PWS but it reverts every time you drive the car.

Does anyone have any update on a potential retrofit of the Pedestrian Warning System on a mid-'19 Model 3? I think mine was built in April or early May '19, and it was right before it was offered as standard. I actually really would like to get this installed. Has anyone been able to successfully get it retrofitted? There was a rumor that the wire harness is tucked up in there behind the speaker grille opening (which I have) but I haven't torn apart my lower valence to find out. TIA.

Does anyone have any update on a potential retrofit of the Pedestrian Warning System on a mid-'19 Model 3? I think mine was built in April or early May '19, and it was right before it was offered as standard. I actually really would like to get this installed. Has anyone been able to successfully get it retrofitted? There was a rumor that the wire harness is tucked up in there behind the speaker grille opening (which I have) but I haven't torn apart my lower valence to find out. TIA.

I think the last couple of pages of this thread I moved your post to (try from page 13) might answer your question.

Reactions: igotzzoom