Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks, Funkmobile. Those sound more pleasant than what Toyota is doing, at least. Still seems inconsistent to me that the laws are targeting EV's -- they should be universally applied to anything that doesn't emit enough sound for pedestrian awareness.

(I was expecting a Rick Roll, too). :)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Is there any actual data out there that shows this is necessary? Not to mention, even if it is then it should be based on decibels. Plenty of ICE cars or hybrids are just as quiet at low speeds.

Great. Now our government is forcing me to drive 20 mph or faster in parking lots. It looks like I might have to upgrade to a performance model. Does anyone know the 0 to 20 times for the M3 and the P3. It is already hard for me to stay below 100 mph on the highway….
0-20 is somewhere under 1 second I think

Are these required in the US? If not then I'd hope they'd just turn the sound off or offer us the option to turn it off
Yep. As of the first of this month, 50% of new EVs/hybrids from a given manufacturer must make noise while driving 19 mph or less. A year from now, 100% must have this "feature". This isn't optional for the manufacturer, so they're not going to provide a switch or setting to let you disable this.

• Informative
My 2017 Volt makes a sound when moving slowly. Just the other day as I was creeping along a lane at SAM's some folks walking in front of me started to cut in front of me and at the last instant heard the "noise" and looked and stepped back. It's a sort of whooshing noise. I wish I could replace it George Jetson's car sound but so far no one has hacked that yet.