Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, regulation says that the sound can never change.

Well, according to U.S. finalizes long-delayed 'quiet cars' rule, extending deadline - Reuters

Regulators said they will consider a request from automakers to allow them to include multiple sounds that would allow owners to select a preference.

So they're saaaaayin' there's a chance. At least with a Tesla and OTA updates, your odds will be slightly better should that option ever come to fruition.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Meh! IMHO, it's a non-issue. In reverse, you can hear it from inside the car... however, in drive, I didn't notice... even with the windows down.

The reverse sound is way more annoying based on that video. In drive it almost sounds like a jet engine or something.

Is there a little sound it makes when switching from park to drive? Sounded like there was in the video. What's the purpose of that?

Just listened to that video. I deeply dislike the idea of my car producing added sound at low speeds (my Teslas don’t have the necessary hardware, fortunately). I always watch out for pedestrians when in parking lots and I keep my speed reasonable. Pedestrians also have a responsibility to keep their eyes open and look around: a moving car with DRLs or headlights on is hard to miss unless you are extremely visually impaired. If you are, I’ll watch out for you.

That video gives the impression that the sound is quite loud. Has anyone used a dB meter to measure it?

Black duct tape sounds like a good partial solution. Disconnecting the speaker would be another approach.
Video of the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod