Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumper came off and on very quickly so I only got one crappy photo of it. Looks like a fully contained unit (logic, amp, speaker) with power and data going to it. Next steps would be to disassemble the assembly and measure the impedence at the speaker but I obviously wasn't going to do that in front of the mobile tech. That being said I will probably just leave it. It's almost unnoticeable in drive and rather useful in reverse.
I wonder if the big black box above the speaker is a radar?

screen-shot-2019-09-19-at-7-46-15-pm-jpg.456846

I was wondering how to replace head lights, so this picture show that you need to remove the bumper, which is not the case with the Model s.

img_5173-jpg.456845

I wonder if the big black box above the speaker is a radar?

screen-shot-2019-09-19-at-7-46-15-pm-jpg.456846

I was wondering how to replace head lights, so this picture show that you need to remove the bumper, which is not the case with the Model s.

img_5173-jpg.456845
I put a square around the radar. The big black box you might be referring to is the passenger side fog light assembly.

Attachments

• 53CF9707-1526-4F0E-958D-B5A15D0CA16B.png
    53CF9707-1526-4F0E-958D-B5A15D0CA16B.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 711
For those outside, it sucks that the car sounds lame instead of cool, but I might live with that. I just feel bad that I was 1 month late in ordering my vehicle to avoid this stupidity.

So yes, I am seriously thinking about cancelling over this. I can understand Tesla is being forced by the federal government to do this, but they really needed to spend some more money on a better sound - especially since the regulation prevents the sound from changing.
Really? Just unplug it.

Reactions: APotatoGod
For the driver, the main question is the cabin noise. If you're saying you can hear it in the cabin, then that means I would have to hear it if I drove a Tesla. And those sounds are not soothing like the rumble of a car engine. I'd rather hear the engine in my ICE car than this noise.

For those outside, it sucks that the car sounds lame instead of cool, but I might live with that. I just feel bad that I was 1 month late in ordering my vehicle to avoid this stupidity.

So yes, I am seriously thinking about cancelling over this. I can understand Tesla is being forced by the federal government to do this, but they really needed to spend some more money on a better sound - especially since the regulation prevents the sound from changing.

Maybe in another year, Tesla will figure out how to make a better sound.

You should definitely not own a Tesla

I remember someone saying months ago that a speaker was already in place, with a couple of wires coming from the screen computer. Is that accurate, meaning the whole thing is just a software update? Or is that a whole new module they are installing now, that only has power and a data line coming in?

Thanks for posting!, Just did this and can confirm no messages or anything on the screen.

I pulled the part number off the connectors and ordered a male and female set plus some cavity plugs to block off the harness and speaker connectors from the elements.

I will post the part numbers and links once I confirm that it all fits. Cost was only ~$5

Thanks for posting!, Just did this and can confirm no messages or anything on the screen.

I pulled the part number off the connectors and ordered a male and female set plus some cavity plugs to block off the harness and speaker connectors from the elements.

I will post the part numbers and links once I confirm that it all fits. Cost was only ~$5

Please do. I may do this on the weekend. We'll hopefully have a better idea of if we are obligated to reconnect it when the law comes into effect next Fall.

Please do. I may do this on the weekend. We'll hopefully have a better idea of if we are obligated to reconnect it when the law comes into effect next Fall.
Connectors and plugs worked like a charm. Part numbers in screen shot bellow.

You only need 4 plugs and one of each connector. I ordered extra just in case.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 12.15.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 12.15.05 AM.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6138.jpg
    IMG_6138.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 102
I noticed some Prius emitting this type of noise. It is especially noticeable inside a garage.
Toyota/Lexus been putting on their VPNS on their hybrids and EVs (e.g. '12 to '14 Rav4 EV) since model year 2012.

2012 Prius Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) - Video is the sound. It was "quietly" added.

I was at an event (I think Green Drive Expo) in Richmond, CA in 2011 and there were some '12 Toyota hybrids including the Plug-in Prius (not on sale yet) available for test drive. I mistakenly thought the noises were the electric AC compressor. Later we found out about VPNS. Prius to model year '12, Toyota/Lexus hybrids didn't have this