Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maaz

Oct 6, 2014
Torrance
BREAKING: All Model3s built since 9/1 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed that emits noise below 19 mph while in forward and while in reverse.

Waiting for more details.

Oh boy here we go ....

Attachments

• 18444C56-05CA-48AA-BEAA-C194A9D16EAE.png
    18444C56-05CA-48AA-BEAA-C194A9D16EAE.png
    512.1 KB · Views: 936
Are they installed but inactive? (waiting for an update to activate them)

I'm surprised we wouldn't have heard about this sooner if they were active.

How many cars that were built less than 9 days ago do you think have been delivered already?

I also wonder if Tesla will need to (or offer) a retrofit for cars produced earlier than 9/1

Need to? No. (It isn't required yet.) Will they? Probably not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
a lot of newer cars and hybrids are pretty quiet, especially in a downtown setting. i've been in parking garages and some cars are barely audible. this is such a bandaid solution.
If the regulation is truly meant to protect pedestrians, it should apply to all new cars that emit less than a certain db level of sound while traveling below 19 mph, regardless of power train.

If the regulation is truly meant to protect pedestrians, it should apply to all new cars that emit less than a certain db level of sound while traveling below 19 mph, regardless of power train.

I agree it shouldn't be based on the power train but I have reservations about how effective it will be will so many people plugged into headphones or earpods of some sort while pedestrian-ing

I'd love for someone to sample a recording of this when is enabled... as my '19 RAV4 Hybrid has this "feature" and (to my ears) it is *very* annoying. So it is noticeable by pedestrians, but not in a way that makes anyone smile. Hopefully, Tesla is allowed to choose a more pleasant tone.

I'm all for safety, but I've owned plenty of ICE cars that are near silent -- so I'm with Bluestar on this one. This sort of thing should not apply to a particular drivetrain, but an actual decibel rating.

Are they installed but inactive? (waiting for an update to activate them)

I'm surprised we wouldn't have heard about this sooner if they were active.

So curious what sound they went with.

I also wonder if Tesla will need to (or offer) a retrofit for cars produced earlier than 9/1

I recall reading on here how some people were getting some weird maybe vibrating sound which I thought they tracked down and came from inside the dash behind the glove box area. Think someone thought it was a speaker that was turned off but apparently getting some power. Anyone else remember reading this here? Talk was it was going to be for some future feature. Wonder if this is one and the same. I know car manufacturers are being forced to add this sound to cars and wonder if what people experienced in these earlier posts was this speaker. I would hope that this sound was only audible from outside the car not inside the passenger cabin. Guess we'll find out soon.

Weren't manufacturers required to comply with this audio sound in Europe already? The US won't be far behind and while it might end up being a universal requirement, would Tesla have installed them in all vehicles being produced whether they are going to Europe or not knowing it would be required here as well and then just actived by software when they needed to comply with regulations?

I think this is the thread I remember reading: Mysterious static/hissing noise

Last edited: