Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL Model 3s still have to pay Luxury Car Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's the thing, if you want a Tesla it's because you want a Tesla. The price is largely a secondary consideration, as in you're unlikely to buy "not a Tesla" for less.

If anything the fact that it appears like it's under the threshold, but isn't when you factor in the doc & delivery fee, is a bit galling really. Wouldn't make any difference to me as I was looking to get the Performance one anyway, but I can imagine it would annoy some people who are just looking to get the cheapest Model 3 they can.

I totally agree. Maybe they will release the SR (non plus) spec at some point, which ought to sit well under the £40k threshold. I can understand SR+ buyers feeling a bit miffed at having to pay the tax for the sake of only £1k in list price.

I would disagree that "Tesla clearly don't care about it either at this point and as they have virtually no direct competition there is little incentive for them to do it." If they don't care, they would not have reduced the price so soon and by such a large amount. If they wanted to encourage white uptake, they could have offered 50% off white rather than have a fire sale throughout the range.

I meant that they don't care about the luxury tax threshold. The price changes are really about internal competition i.e. encouraging people to migrate up the model range. My P+ is now a full £10k less than it was originally, while the SR+ price has hardly changed. So they are simply cutting margin on their top end models to sell more of them. Maybe they've churned out a boat load of RHD P+ models they need to shift?

IMHO I think the "luxury tax threshold" car pricing is just a ****-up by the marketing dept. They did the same in Canada. Why else would they reduce the price since demand is still strong? I think they tried (and failed miserably) to get below the threshold so they can entice another group of people buy into the tesla brand. They ended up upsetting all those who paid full price.

Reactions: goRt
IMHO I think the "luxury tax threshold" car pricing is just a ****-up by the marketing dept. They did the same in Canada. Why else would they reduce the price since demand is still strong? I think they tried (and failed miserably) to get below the threshold so they can entice another group of people buy into the tesla brand. They ended up upsetting all those who paid full price.

I tend to agree with @VanillaAir_UK above. The big pricing changes were to models so far above the luxury tax as to make no difference and the re-pricing was done at a global level, not UK specific. I don't think Tesla give a monkey's about UK luxury tax. It wouldn't even surprise me if they didn't even know about it!

Reactions: Rooster6655
I tend to agree with @VanillaAir_UK above. The big pricing changes were to models so far above the luxury tax as to make no difference and the re-pricing was done at a global level, not UK specific. I don't think Tesla give a monkey's about UK luxury tax. It wouldn't even surprise me if they didn't even know about it!

They want to be pushing the LR/P more than the SR+ so it might be strategic