Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model S’s now come with a 48A onboard charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...according to the updated Wall Connector information...

That's a step backward for the S and X. First, they've been losing the freedom to place an app anywhere they want like camera on top half and browser on bottom half with V9.

Now, the new S and X also lose on the speed of their onboard charger.

That in the light of a reporter showing Porsche charging system rated at 80% full in 15 minutes, 800V, 350A, 350kW (actual video shows 775V, 320A, 248 kW)

We really need competitions real fast!

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Not sure that’s conclusive. They may just be stating the ‘standard’ charger so you can’t say it said you would get this MPH charging and you don’t.

I recall when I ordered my X 100D last year you couldn’t see the 72 amp charger until after you’d paid the deposit but I bet it’s still there.

Anyone have yea or nay on this?

Order our S 100D on the first day it was listed on the website. For the early production 100D's the 48A onboard charger was standard with the 72A charger as an optional upgrade. Shortly after the first batch of 100D's were delivered in March 2017, Tesla announced the 72A onboard charger would be standard - and it looks like our S 100D actually has the 72A onboard charger, software limited to 48A.

We have over 25K miles and haven't found any need so far to charge faster than 48A (connected to an HPWC on an 100A circuit), so there hasn't been any reason to pay for the upgrade to 72A.

For overnight charging, 48A is enough to fully recharge a 100 battery pack, assuming the pack is kept between 10-90%. And if there's a need to charge faster during the day - with the increasing number of superchargers, it'll be easier and faster to drive to a supercharger to quickly recharge.

This could be another area where Tesla is simplifying their configuration options, and reducing their manufacturing costs.

I’d be ticked. Plenty of times I’ve needed to crank up the car to 72A. Honestly I wish we still had the full 90A like the old cars. Years ago I ran a dedicated 100A line specifically for the HPWC. No need for me to clog the supercharger down the road.

Wouldn't be surprised to see HPWC introduce a Gen 3 version that is limited to 48A and is less expensive, by downgrading the max current the HPWC can pass.

We've been charging our X 100D on a 14-50 outlet using 40A - and that's more than enough to handle overnight charging.

We also noticed Tesla is building a supercharger about 15 minutes from our house - so if we ever really did need to quickly charge, we won't have to drive far to a supercharger and be able recharge much faster than an HPWC at 72A...

I do not know what the price difference is between a 48A onboard charger and a 72A one. It cannot be prohibitive, however. I would support this decision by Tesla if the Supercharger network were built out today to enable traveling on just about any interstate highway and major secondary federal and state highways.

As it stands today, there are many popular highways without Supercharging that have destination or mid-point L2 chargers that support 56-80A. I have used about twelve of them since we bought our S in 2014. Charging at 16-19kW allows for a lunch or a short walk and refreshment to add 50-60 miles in about 70 minutes. With a 48A charger, the charge rates drops to 10-11.5kW (depending upon voltage) and a proportionate reduction in range added for the same amount of time.

The size of the onboard charger does not make much difference for overnight charging. But it does come into play for intra-day charging off the Supercharger Highway.

That is really disappointing. First off, margins? Really? People want it, and they will pay whatever it costs, with good margin.
Tesla was known for having a much better, higher power onboard charger available than other EVs. That's one of the things that made them a good practical car.

And this seems like yet another in the long list of California-tinted glasses that shape their product offerings by how things are there. There aren't Superchargers everywhere, and there are still many places (*cough* Canada *cough*) that really need to make use of the 90A high power Sun Country J1772 charging stations that cover gaps in the traveling network. And I'll need to bring up the Bermuda Triangle yet again, where U.S. highways 20 and 95 in Eastern Oregon have high amp level 2 stations that cover gaps in the Supercharger network that are still really useful if you have a higher power onboard charger.

Reactions: AWDtsla and KJD
Not ideal, but the 72a upgrade kit will likely remain available for those who truly need it (IMO it's a very small number).

1090835-00-A - MODEL S, ASY,GEN3 CHARGE SYSTEM,72A,1PHASE, UPGRADE KIT -- quoted installed for $3300 CAD in 2017.

Not ideal, but the 72a upgrade kit will likely remain available for those who truly need it (IMO it's a very small number).

1090835-00-A - MODEL S, ASY,GEN3 CHARGE SYSTEM,72A,1PHASE, UPGRADE KIT -- quoted installed for $3300 CAD in 2017.

Can't buy it on tesla.com, so probably can't schedule to be installed. Maybe if you get someone to work on the car aftermarket, and they actually sell you the part.

Not to mention, still down 8A from the peak, and won't fit in a Model 3.

Looks like at this point Tesla has no commitment to fast home or 3rd party charging. 80A charging for Model 3 replaces supercharging for many scenarios. Getting 75-100 miles over a meal would be plenty for many trips.

Furthermore, it seems they have no commitment to increased charging efficiency. It's still around 90%, which it's been since the beginning. We know we can built power supplies more efficient than this. They could get a ~10% bump just from improved electronics

Offtopic, can the gen3 chargers (48a/72a) be installed in a car that came with Gen2? I have a single 40a, would like to add a second, or get a single 72a. Would be REALLY awesome if we could get dual gen3 chargers. With a better hpwc I could actually draw that much from my garage.

Can't buy it on tesla.com, so probably can't schedule to be installed. Maybe if you get someone to work on the car aftermarket, and they actually sell you the part.

Not to mention, still down 8A from the peak, and won't fit in a Model 3.
This was a thread regarding Model S.

And yes you can contact your service centre at any time and request such an upgrade take place. It does not need to be in the online store.

Offtopic, can the gen3 chargers (48a/72a) be installed in a car that came with Gen2? I have a single 40a, would like to add a second, or get a single 72a. Would be REALLY awesome if we could get dual gen3 chargers. With a better hpwc I could actually draw that much from my garage.
No, I'm pretty sure not. First off, I just did some searching for a diagram picture I had seen, but can't find it now. I think I remember seeing that they moved the onboard chargers to a different location in the car with the Model X and refreshed S, but I may be misremembering.
The other thing that is likely to be a problem is that on the older cars, the high voltage junction box was a separate piece of equipment from the charger. With the facelift, the HVJB was integrated into the charger, so I don't know if they would be able to adapt the control functionality of how that mix-and-match would work between two separate pieces of equipment versus one integrated piece.