Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All [new] home EV chargepoints will need smart chargers from next month [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Putting aside the rational for this law change, I'm a bit concerned my 12 month old Rolec EVHS 2140 will need replacing for something more "smart". I notice Rolec's new range are branded Homesmart. Can anyone confirm?

The Government regulations come into effect on June 30, and are intended to help manage the strain on the National Grid with thousands of electric cars charging at once. These set out minimum standards for all home and workplace chargepoints sold in England, Scotland and Wales from that date, whereas previous rules had only applied to units funded by OZEV grant schemes.

Tesla will need to stop selling the Wall Connector in the UK unless they add capabilities and certify it, which I suspect they will not.

I'm also slightly confused about what will happen to the UMC, it's not smart but I can't really see an exception in the regulations for 3 pin devices, and as we know it can do upto 11KW ? Does anyone know if it is also going to be banned?

Reactions: Durzel
Aren't Tesla removing the UMC from future sales?

have done in USA ... no news in UK ... but it has only moved from "Included" to "Extra cost accessory"

Any other brand got a UMC that is on the approved list? I'm doubting that UMCs (rather than wall chargers) will be subject to this law ... which would be typical that there is already a perfectly acceptable loophole / workaround to a new law. Daft.

I also like @Pink Duck point that Tesla could tackle this problem from the car end. Probably all EVs could ... or "next model" could be required to. Far better than trying to do it from the Charger I reckon ... what when family members have, say, 4 EVs on the drive, all different brands / models? Surely it would be much easier to use an APP for each car to decide how much charge it needs, and by when (and then let the Grid choose WHEN to charge it) rather than "Which car have you plugged into which charger" to then set the Smart Charger settings for how much charge that car should get and by when ...

I’m not keen on having charge points that are capable of being monitored externally (or worse). I’m happy with our TWC v2s. We’ve had the first one since summer 2019 and will be having the second installed (set to load share with the first one) prior to delivery of our pending MYLR.

What's weird is that in just 5 weeks, Tesla won't legally be allowed to sell the TWC3 anymore, yet, they're aren't even communicating on this...
I would either do a big push to get the last inventory items out before 30th June, or warn of an upcoming OTA update...