Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All of a sudden: Waze Carpool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As most of you, I have been using Waze forever. As most of you, I noticed the addition of Waze Carpool a year or so back. As most of you, I concluded that it is not for me.

Well, something tweaked with the advent of what Tesla likes me to think of as my new electric lifestyle.

Between the new awareness of the per-mile cost of my daily driving, the exuberant desire to share the Tesla experience with the world, the geek's curiosity about the implementation, and, let's be honest, a finger slip that made me click the dude with the raised hand in the bottom right of the app, I have decided to give Waze Carpool a try. As a driver for now.

The way it works is you put in your daily commute schedule with some cushion as to how early and how late you are willing to leave to and from work. It matches you with those who have requested rides along your route, some of whom have requested rides days in advance or on a daily schedule. You look at their names, faces, number of past rides, how far off your route they are to be picked up and dropped off, as well as how much they pay. How much they pay is determined by the app and depends either solely on the distance or perhaps on how far out of the way you have to go.

I have a 25 minute commute and the range of process I got offered is $2.10 to $4.80 with 1-5 minutes off-route. So, probably not enough to make a living, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

You can offer a ride to up to four people who meet your criteria, and as soon as one of them accepts, the other offers are cancelled. You then get a reminder, you click start button, your rider gets updates of your ETA, you can exchange messages, give each other rating, etc. All as you would expect with Uber, etc., but with much lower barrier to entry.

While setting up, you get to put in your work email and after you confirm it, the app knows where you work. You can then pick up riders from your company only if you prefer.

I picked up my first rider today, it was a contractor working for my company, new to the area. The pick-up took me 2 minutes off-route, and the drop-off was at my building. I got paid $3.30 for my troubles (Waze pays by bank transfer once a month) and took the car across the street to the ChargePoint station with the next two hours being paid for.

A few hours later the same rider requested a ride tomorrow, which I accepted even though I had an offer out for a $4.50 ride.

So far, it's good even if just to say you I it.

Share your experience, especially if you have done it already. Any regrets?

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with the app has been excellent. Like many people who first look at it, they conclude that a their time is worth more than a few bucks.

However, since I got my Model 3, driving doesn't seem like a huge chore that I want to get over as soon as possible anymore, and with the new car payment, I was looking for a way to offset some of the costs to have bought my first new car. Enter Waze Carpool.

I started off with a "Launch Promo" which adds $3-5 to each ride which is over a certain threshold. As I drive from Santa Cruz to Mountain view each day, there are a couple riders who take my carpool nearly the whole way. That is typically a $12.50-13.50 ride for me each direction. The first month, I made a couple hundred dollars, the second month I made $375, and this month I am on track to make $475.

I have settled into a pattern to where I get a $9-13.50 rider each direction, each day. I am often picking up the same 4-5 people, but try to reach out and start a new carpool rider each week, especially if I see someone who hasn't had any rides yet.

For some people its not a good fit, for others its great. There is a $20 promo available, so anyone who wants to test it out can do so and get a free $20, and I'll get $20 at the same time. PM me if you want my promo code.

To this point I have not had 1 bad experience. The worst it got was a woman who simply wanted to talk about herself the whole ride. The people using this are just professionals looking to go to work.

Reactions: SageBrush
It sounds like it works as I'd anticipate autonomous car pooling to work.

But I'm not clear on how it works for larger carpools.

How does it reconcile all car pooler requirements?

If you want a large pool, do you have actively to select those who are more flexible to leave yourself room to divert more? Or does it have a way to make current poolers an offer to allow an additional diversion at a lower price?

I signed up for it after reading @Vines post in his powerwall thread. I have not offer any ride yet but I see riders both ways everyday showed up. They are like $8 to $12 each way. So potentially I could make $20 a day. But so far none of the rider got any rating... I think they are all new and just want to use up the sign up bonus.

Is ther rate dependant on type of car and it's mpg, gas, EV?

It is miles of travel + launch promo. For example, one of my rider shows $11.10 for me. I click on him and it shows $6.10 for 20 miles and $5 for launch promo = $11.10. It also shows Service Fee = $0 I don't know if the Service Fee is something paid to me.. or it is for Waze so it could be a Neg $ in the future.

It is miles of travel + launch promo. For example, one of my rider shows $11.10 for me. I click on him and it shows $6.10 for 20 miles and $5 for launch promo = $11.10. It also shows Service Fee = $0 I don't know if the Service Fee is something paid to me.. or it is for Waze so it could be a Neg $ in the future.

Probably like Lyft/Uber= the service fee is their cut and no way it will stay 0 forever! ;)

Double check on the insurance angle, I suspect it would be put in the rideshare category like Lyft/Uber and would fall under the same restrictions. Sounds like more of a "ridesharing" service than the other two, though, which are essentially eTaxis.
As we aren't professional drivers, the rules are different. I confirmed this with my insurance company.
From the Waze help information:
As stated in the Waze Carpool Terms of Service, the driver is responsible for obtaining insurance and must be covered in the case of any accidents that may occur while driving (similar to any other drive). This coverage must include coverage for any third parties who are included in the ride, including carpool riders.
If you’re the driver, you should confirm with your insurance company that your insurance covers carpooling.

Auto insurance policies in many states, including California, typically allow not-for-profit, share-the-expense carpooling. Waze Carpool is designed to help riders and drivers share the cost of carpooling on a given ride. It’s not designed to allow a driver to make a profit or to earn a salary. Payments to the driver by the rider will always be less or equal to the cost of the particular drive, taking account of such factors as gas and vehicle depreciation.

I signed up for it after reading @Vines post in his powerwall thread. I have not offer any ride yet but I see riders both ways everyday showed up. They are like $8 to $12 each way. So potentially I could make $20 a day. But so far none of the rider got any rating... I think they are all new and just want to use up the sign up bonus.

If you haven't given any rides yet you can get the promo still, pm me for the promo code if you want the free $20 when you do give a ride. You have to give or take a ride to get the bonus, there is nothing for just signing up. Sounds like you are in a good location to make this work.

Its not for everyone like I said, some of us are gun owners lol.

As to the service fee that will eventually be Googles cut, I also imagine it will eventually go up. I think the prices are still shaking out, but I envision that eventually if successful the prices to riders will go up, as they are currently very cheap. Its currently pretty appealing to both riders and drivers. As it stands now, Google is subsidizing both riders and drivers with promotions.

Also, from what I understand, Waze is not sending out any 1099 either. I emailed them and they confirmed.

As it stands now, only the launch promotion bonus of $3-5 per ride is taxable. The per mile reimbursement is just slightly under what the IRS allows for mileage reimbursement, so its exempt.
As you say though, if this takes off, Google will certainly send out 1099 for whatever they consider profit. They say several places that this is not intended to be a salary or to make money, just a reimbursement to offset costs.

I use waze carpool regularly. I have a regular pooler and I give them a ride 4 days a week 2x a day. Few stats:
  • Started July 2017
  • Almost 600 total rides
  • Approaching 6,000 miles carpooled
  • Averaged about $100/mo last year
Similar to why some take their Teslas onto Uber or Lyft I started because I enjoy talking to people about the car and letting them experience it. Once I got a regular carpooler I started to enjoy the company to/from work. Since Mid-Feb the promo has been coming up at $5 for every ride on top of the typical $3.50-$4.00 ride cost. Personally when the promo comes up I just zero out the ride cost and drive on the promo so they can get a free ride.

The service fee has always come up $0 for as long as I have been doing this. I attended a waze carpool townhall (I think in 2017) hosted by google and at the time they didn't have any plans on changing the $0 service fee. They also said they are working with local municipalities to subsidize the carpool rides. Think this is how they're able to do the launch promos to offer the drivers more than what the rider pays.

Never got a 1099 from them and at the townhall they said they try to price the rides to fall under the IRS guidelines as Vines had mentioned.

I've been using Waze Carpool for nearly one year now. It started out slow at first but now I'm so booked that I had to make a second account on my other phone so I can pick up two people at once.

I've been making an average of $300 per month from my primary Waze account and about $100 from my second not-so-booked Waze account. I tend to charge about $7.50 per ride, which becomes $2.50 per ride for the passenger due to the never-ending promo. All it takes is an extra 5 to 10 minutes of my time during my 1+ hour long commute.

I'm loving it so far! I get to spread the word about Tesla and learn new things from different professionals. All while making time feel like it's going faster, thus enjoying my commute. :D

They say several places that this is not intended to be a salary or to make money, just a reimbursement to offset costs.

Never got a 1099 from them and at the townhall they said they try to price the rides to fall under the IRS guidelines as Vines had mentioned.

I'll guess this about works for one car pooler at a time to game the IRS. People need to be careful about insurance since you can bet that passengers will turn into money seeking adversaries at the first accident.