Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

apples

Dec 7, 2019
Oak Ridges, Ontario, Canada
Has anyone with a Performance Model 3 received an update beyond 2020.8.3 since Wednesday April 29th?

I was previously on 2020.12.5 but had my computer replaced April 29th due to an LTE issue. Immediately was upgraded to 8.3 but it currently says software is up to date and have received no further updates. Service tells me 8.3 is the latest for my vehicle/hardware combination.

I see just about every other Tesla model receiving 12.x updates on Teslafi, but every update on Performance Model 3 is 8.3 or lower. There are Performance Model 3s that were upgraded previously to 12.x but it seems like all new updates have not gone beyond 8.3.

Anyone have insights on this? I assume they discovered a bug that affects the Performance 3 specifically but curious what's going on. Especially since for 8.x we're talking about a release in week 8, that's February and we're in May now.

NOLADriver

Sep 16, 2019
New Orelans, LA
I think the standard or advanced button is, as some have referred to here, an elevator door close button. It does nothing. The update is pushed regardless. I tried it in both settings and I still get updates pushed about the same amount of time for each, once they start getting announced rollout on here.

apples

Dec 7, 2019
Hey guys, I'm specifically asking if anyone with P3D has received 12.x since this past Wednesday April 29th? My theory is that Tesla discovered a bug and is temporarily not upgrading any P3D beyond 8.3 (unless they were already on 12.x from PRIOR to Wednesday).

I have even heard of some being downgraded back to 8.3 but I don't know how common that is.

Pa5001

Apr 14, 2020
US
Has anyone with a Performance Model 3 received an update beyond 2020.8.3 since Wednesday April 29th?

I was previously on 2020.12.5 but had my computer replaced April 29th due to an LTE issue. Immediately was upgraded to 8.3 but it currently says software is up to date and have received no further updates. Service tells me 8.3 is the latest for my vehicle/hardware combination.

I see just about every other Tesla model receiving 12.x updates on Teslafi, but every update on Performance Model 3 is 8.3 or lower. There are Performance Model 3s that were upgraded previously to 12.x but it seems like all new updates have not gone beyond 8.3.

Anyone have insights on this? I assume they discovered a bug that affects the Performance 3 specifically but curious what's going on. Especially since for 8.x we're talking about a release in week 8, that's February and we're in May now.

I got my LR AWD Last week and have 8.3 as well. It needed an update when I picked it up and updated to 8.3 Now it says up to date.

Black306

Oct 14, 2019
Sacramento
Hey guys, I'm specifically asking if anyone with P3D has received 12.x since this past Wednesday April 29th? My theory is that Tesla discovered a bug and is temporarily not upgrading any P3D beyond 8.3 (unless they were already on 12.x from PRIOR to Wednesday).

I have even heard of some being downgraded back to 8.3 but I don't know how common that is.
I wouldn’t be surprised. My car is on 2020.12.5 and it does not function as smoothly as 2020.8.X. There was even one day this last week where the screen didn’t come on when trying to drive. I had to do a soft reboot to get it to work.

MidwestM3P

Dec 17, 2018
Des Moines, IA
P3D here, still on 2020.12.5, have been for at least a few weeks now.

Only real issue since getting on it that I've noticed is I no longer have text message functionality. It doesn't give me notifications and won't read or send texts.

shan2shan

May 2, 2020
USA
I picked up a SR+ a few days ago. The car cams with 2019.35.108 (guess the service people didn’t update it prior to delivery). Had to chat with Tesla support to get an update pushed to me on April 30. The software pushed was 2020.8.3 and they said this was the latest available; my car says it is running the latest available, too. So it’s not just a P3D thing.

Reactions: Pa5001

apples

Dec 7, 2019
My best guess is they've discovered defects on the 12.x series, not bad enough to migrate people backwards (though I have heard some isolated examples of this), but bad enough for them to stop upgrading some model/HW/region combinations who aren't already on 12.x. And for those on 12.x, they are continuing with upgrades along that major branch, perhaps to try to resolve them without having to going back to 8.x. This may be a multi-pronged approach to fixing the issue (12.x plan A with a backup plan B to regress to the 8.x path and rebuild the previous enhancements, or maybe just wait on migrating any more users until the significant defects are fixed).

Why it seems to be isolated to only a few Models/HW/region combinations is a mystery, and also why it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Anyone have deeper insights into this? My reasoning is based on limited facts.

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
P3D (Beatrice)
Code:
19.40.50.5    01-January-2020
19.40.50.7    05-January-2020
20.8.1        06-March-2020
20.8.2        21-March-2020
20.12.5       09-April-2020
20.12.10      01-May-2020

Gize

Jul 9, 2019
Utah
I am on 12.6 I think it was Monday but not positive. Haven't driven a lot but found out the auto braking at every stop light is super annoying. Turned the feature off again.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA

This is incorrect... just wait and be patient (hard, I know). it will upgrade. Model 3P are not being held to that version (mine is on 12.6).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC