Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a Performance Model 3 received an update beyond 2020.8.3 since Wednesday April 29th?

I was previously on 2020.12.5 but had my computer replaced April 29th due to an LTE issue. Immediately was upgraded to 8.3 but it currently says software is up to date and have received no further updates. Service tells me 8.3 is the latest for my vehicle/hardware combination.

I see just about every other Tesla model receiving 12.x updates on Teslafi, but every update on Performance Model 3 is 8.3 or lower. There are Performance Model 3s that were upgraded previously to 12.x but it seems like all new updates have not gone beyond 8.3.

Anyone have insights on this? I assume they discovered a bug that affects the Performance 3 specifically but curious what's going on. Especially since for 8.x we're talking about a release in week 8, that's February and we're in May now.

Hey guys, I'm specifically asking if anyone with P3D has received 12.x since this past Wednesday April 29th? My theory is that Tesla discovered a bug and is temporarily not upgrading any P3D beyond 8.3 (unless they were already on 12.x from PRIOR to Wednesday).

I have even heard of some being downgraded back to 8.3 but I don't know how common that is.

Has anyone with a Performance Model 3 received an update beyond 2020.8.3 since Wednesday April 29th?

I was previously on 2020.12.5 but had my computer replaced April 29th due to an LTE issue. Immediately was upgraded to 8.3 but it currently says software is up to date and have received no further updates. Service tells me 8.3 is the latest for my vehicle/hardware combination.

I see just about every other Tesla model receiving 12.x updates on Teslafi, but every update on Performance Model 3 is 8.3 or lower. There are Performance Model 3s that were upgraded previously to 12.x but it seems like all new updates have not gone beyond 8.3.

Anyone have insights on this? I assume they discovered a bug that affects the Performance 3 specifically but curious what's going on. Especially since for 8.x we're talking about a release in week 8, that's February and we're in May now.

I got my LR AWD Last week and have 8.3 as well. It needed an update when I picked it up and updated to 8.3 Now it says up to date.

Hey guys, I'm specifically asking if anyone with P3D has received 12.x since this past Wednesday April 29th? My theory is that Tesla discovered a bug and is temporarily not upgrading any P3D beyond 8.3 (unless they were already on 12.x from PRIOR to Wednesday).

I have even heard of some being downgraded back to 8.3 but I don't know how common that is.
I wouldn’t be surprised. My car is on 2020.12.5 and it does not function as smoothly as 2020.8.X. There was even one day this last week where the screen didn’t come on when trying to drive. I had to do a soft reboot to get it to work.

I picked up a SR+ a few days ago. The car cams with 2019.35.108 (guess the service people didn’t update it prior to delivery). Had to chat with Tesla support to get an update pushed to me on April 30. The software pushed was 2020.8.3 and they said this was the latest available; my car says it is running the latest available, too. So it’s not just a P3D thing.

Reactions: Pa5001
My best guess is they've discovered defects on the 12.x series, not bad enough to migrate people backwards (though I have heard some isolated examples of this), but bad enough for them to stop upgrading some model/HW/region combinations who aren't already on 12.x. And for those on 12.x, they are continuing with upgrades along that major branch, perhaps to try to resolve them without having to going back to 8.x. This may be a multi-pronged approach to fixing the issue (12.x plan A with a backup plan B to regress to the 8.x path and rebuild the previous enhancements, or maybe just wait on migrating any more users until the significant defects are fixed).

Why it seems to be isolated to only a few Models/HW/region combinations is a mystery, and also why it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Anyone have deeper insights into this? My reasoning is based on limited facts.

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood

This is incorrect... just wait and be patient (hard, I know). it will upgrade. Model 3P are not being held to that version (mine is on 12.6).