Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is incorrect... just wait and be patient (hard, I know). it will upgrade. Model 3P are not being held to that version (mine is on 12.6).
When you say this is incorrect, what information do you have that makes you so sure? There are quite a few facts indicating some model/region/HW/current version combinations are being held on 8.x, including service confirming that 8.3 is the latest version for people with specific combinations.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and Maaz
Model 3 Performance, Canada, HW3/FSD... currently on 2020.12.5 but having constant LTE drop outs. Connecting to Wi-Fi no longer functions (it shows connected, then shortly after all wireless including LTE disconnects, and repeats).

Service advised there is a known issue with wireless connectivity on this firmware but there is no approved fix yet. Might be for the best that you're being held on 8.3.

Yes definitely, no concern with being held back when there are known issues. Just wishing Tesla published a known issue report explaining what's happening and the upgrade strategy. Transparency and communication would eliminate a tonne of confusion as to what is going on and why. In the absence of that we all start to research, compare notes, and speculate and it's a lot of unnecessary energy.

When you say this is incorrect, what information do you have that makes you so sure? There are quite a few facts indicating some model/region/HW/current version combinations are being held on 8.x, including service confirming that 8.3 is the latest version for people with specific combinations.

I had a HW 3 upgrade a few weeks ago, and got that same version, and about a week later I was updated to 12.X whatever it was. You had your HW 3 upgrade on april 29th I am assuming based on your "has anyone had this since april 29th????" post, so thats what I am basing it on. My personal experience with my own model 3p that was got hw3. If thats not good enough /shrug.

What was your LTE issue that caused them to replace your computer? Wondering if it's the same issue that I'm having.
My issue was no LTE connection at all ever. WIFI worked fine. I was surprised they replaced the whole computer, was expecting just the LTE module but maybe it's easier to just do a full swap out rather than troubleshoot or not being sure they will resolve the issue the first time.

I had a HW 3 upgrade a few weeks ago, and got that same version, and about a week later I was updated to 12.X whatever it was. You had your HW 3 upgrade on april 29th I am assuming based on your "has anyone had this since april 29th????" post, so thats what I am basing it on. My personal experience with my own model 3p that was got hw3. If thats not good enough /shrug.
Yeah that's a helpful data point for sure thank you, "incorrect" just sounds a lot more definitive than a sample size of 1 experience

North Europe, 2019 delivery of 2020 model, HW3 from factory, I had the update notice about 2 or 3 weeks ago but ignored it. Then it hasn't come back. So still on 8.3

I'm only mildly curious ... After all the prior updates you realize it's still 99.9999% the same car afterwards

North Europe, 2019 delivery of 2020 model, HW3 from factory, I had the update notice about 2 or 3 weeks ago but ignored it. Then it hasn't come back. So still on 8.3

I'm only mildly curious ... After all the prior updates you realize it's still 99.9999% the same car afterwards
Yes for sure, the only update that's meaningful is the dashcam/sentry viewer. But you still want to know that your car is updating properly, especially after a full computer replacement and a previous connection issue. That and I work in the software industry so I'm used to a lot better transparency/communication on updates and defects.

Yeah that's a helpful data point for sure thank you, "incorrect" just sounds a lot more definitive than a sample size of 1 experience

Is that different than your sample size of "I dont have mine so they are holding it back for this model"?

(even 1 person disproves " holding it back from this model")

Last edited:
Yes for sure, the only update that's meaningful is the dashcam/sentry viewer. But you still want to know that your car is updating properly, especially after a full computer replacement and a previous connection issue. That and I work in the software industry so I'm used to a lot better transparency/communication on updates and defects.

You mean like all the "transparency" in most apps on our phones that say some variation of "bug fixes"?

Tesla is not perfect by any means, and I am not trying to say they are, but "I dont have my update so they are holding it back for this model" when dozens of people with the exact same model have gotten the update sounds silly to me.

Reactions: focher
Is that different than your sample size of "I dont have mine so they are holding it back for this model"?

(even 1 person disproves " holding it back from this model")
Yes it is different, if you read my OP I referenced the data set on Teslafi and I'm using language like "my best guess". I just think on these forums, if you are going to say something definitive like "incorrect" it should be a fact not an opinion or based on a single experience. I'm not trying to make this personal, just keeping the integrity of the forum which has a tonne of value for everyone.

You mean like all the "transparency" in most apps on our phones that say some variation of "bug fixes"?

Tesla is not perfect by any means, and I am not trying to say they are, but "I dont have my update so they are holding it back for this model" when dozens of people with the exact same model have gotten the update sounds silly to me.
Again, if you read the post, you'll see this is based on Teslafi data, what other users have said, and what Tesla service has stated to me and another user who commented above. We're all just trying to piece this together, no need to judge it as silly. Are you trolling for reactions?

Found this post on Tesla Forums from a couple days ago. Tesla service confirmed he was rolled back to 8.3 due to issues with 12.5 and 8.3 is the latest available for his build (see text message quote below from service). Still not clear which combination of factors are leading to some M3s being held on 8.3 but this clearly isn't just regular upgrade cycles taking time to get around to everyone.

FULL POST:

Software 2020.12.5 failed and now not available
Submitted by funkiegh on April 30, 2020
My 2020 model M3 AWD LR received in March with 2019 FW was upgraded to 2020.8.3 on 1st April; so far so amazing!.. However on 15th April a friend told me he'd just received 2020.12.5 with the new dashcam viewer - identical car (except for the colour) and delivered on the same day as mine. So I waited patiently for my turn - keen to get the on-board Dashcam / Sentry viewer,.. and waited for a week before contacting the UK support line. When I did, they told me it had been pushed out to me on 15th April but had failed, although I'd had no indication of the attempt or the failure. When I asked them to try again I was told the latest version available to me was 8.3 which I already have - so they told me to raise a service request, which I duly did. The next day I received a text message on my phone:

"Hi Mike your Model 3 is on the latest update we can deploy. There have been some issues with 2020.12.5 hence the rollback. Please wait until this update becomes available shortly. Please note we will not update firmware at customer request we will only push firmware if there has been an issue with a previous install or it is required to fix a issue with the car. We will cancel your appointment thank you."

Does anyone understand the reason for this or had a similar experience? As far as I can tell (Teslafi & Stats app) a vast majority of the fleet (>50%) has 12.5 with 12.6 a close second.. 8.3 is around 8%. Any advice?

Found this post on Tesla Forums from a couple days ago. Tesla service confirmed he was rolled back to 8.3 due to issues with 12.5 and 8.3 is the latest available for his build (see text message quote below from service). Still not clear which combination of factors are leading to some M3s being held on 8.3 but this clearly isn't just regular upgrade cycles taking time to get around to everyone.

FULL POST:

My 2020 model M3 AWD LR received in March with 2019 FW was upgraded to 2020.8.3 on 1st April; so far so amazing!.. However on 15th April a friend told me he'd just received 2020.12.5 with the new dashcam viewer - identical car (except for the colour) and delivered on the same day as mine. So I waited patiently for my turn - keen to get the on-board Dashcam / Sentry viewer,.. and waited for a week before contacting the UK support line. When I did, they told me it had been pushed out to me on 15th April but had failed, although I'd had no indication of the attempt or the failure. When I asked them to try again I was told the latest version available to me was 8.3 which I already have - so they told me to raise a service request, which I duly did. The next day I received a text message on my phone:

"Hi Mike your Model 3 is on the latest update we can deploy. There have been some issues with 2020.12.5 hence the rollback. Please wait until this update becomes available shortly. Please note we will not update firmware at customer request we will only push firmware if there has been an issue with a previous install or it is required to fix a issue with the car. We will cancel your appointment thank you."

Does anyone understand the reason for this or had a similar experience? As far as I can tell (Teslafi & Stats app) a vast majority of the fleet (>50%) has 12.5 with 12.6 a close second.. 8.3 is around 8%. Any advice?

This makes sense to me. I am on 2020.8.3 and received an update alert to 2020.12.5 via my iPhone on the 15th April. When I checked again later the same day the update had disappeared. Been stuck on 2020.8.3 ever since with no further updates.

FULL POST:

Im still wondering what advice you are looking for, beside "just wait, and you will be updated to this or some other later version when they flag it for your car". My other posts were not trolling, just pointing out that your description of "lack of transparency" for updates exists everywhere, including tesla. Since you mention you are a coder, its unlikely you tell every end user every change that is made in your software.

Im not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out that, yes, people who have been getting new hardware (many) have been regressed to some version prior to what they had previously. Easy to understand, in that its "likely" the software is loaded onto the hardware and they just install it, then activate it. We dont know, but enough have gotten downgraded from "whatever they had" that its a reasonable assumption.

No amount of "teslafi" or "Stats" sleuthing is going to make your car show up "faster" for an update. its entirely possible they stopped rollout of Version "X" for "reasons". They do that ALL the time. If you dont get 12.5, or 12.6, you will get 12.11, or 12.12 or some other version, in the next XXX (<3-4 week time frame).

Nothing you can do in all the sleuthing, investigating, etc is going to make tesla update your car faster, so the advice is "wait, and you will get whatever update they flag for you when they release it". If you find enjoyment with the sleuthing, wondering, etc... have at it. There isnt anything you can do to trigger your car to upgrade, though. They will flag it and it will update to some version they have for your car that includes those features "later". Non FSD cars are not being held from version 12.5 / 12.6.. many people without FSD have been updated to those versions.

For those interested in understanding this issue, it seems it's actually all variants of Model 3 in general that are significantly over-indexed on version 8.3. And it's versions 12.1x that are heavily skewed toward non-Model 3s (not 12.5 or 12.6).

Teslafi shows only 6% of Model 3s on version 12.1x vs 30% of the rest of the population.

Versions 12.5 and 12.6 show consistent proportions of Model 3 vs non Model 3 compared to the population.

I have no idea why non-model 3s are 5x as likely to be on 12.1x, and likewise why Model 3s are much more likely to be stuck on 8.3, but I bet there's a good reason, and I bet Tesla knows what it is and is working on it.

I'm not really looking for any advice, just comparing notes with other users on the forum, sharing what I've learned so far, and interested to understand how the car is functioning and why... partly because it's a brand new car, and partly because it just had an issue big enough to prompt a full computer replacement.

I think for a lot of us, the technology is a big point of curiosity and passion, and part of what makes owning a Tesla so fun!