Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Powerwall Orders on Hold Indefinitely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what reguard? The inability to charge from the grid or the extended timeline to install?
The need to wait until all parts are in to get the solar installed. Some people think you need it all at once to get the ITC (tax credit), and that's definitely not so (as other threads have shown).

Do the solar, get the credit for it, reserve the PWs (I have two 'reserved'), get them installed, as charge from solar, and then do another ITC form and you will get that credit for that piece.

Handling my Father's PW install and if not done together, installation fees were $2500 higher. He's choosing to wait because of that. But my accountant did confirm that PW can be claimed separately
The need to wait until all parts are in to get the solar installed. Some people think you need it all at once to get the ITC (tax credit), and that's definitely not so (as other threads have shown).

Do the solar, get the credit for it, reserve the PWs (I have two 'reserved'), get them installed, as charge from solar, and then do another ITC form and you will get that credit for that piece.

Handling my Father's PW install and if not done together, installation fees were $2500 higher. He's choosing to wait because of that. But my accountant did confirm that PW can be claimed separately

That's interesting. You'd think they could just prewire for the Powerwalls, but leave them out. I don't know if they have enough Gateways, but from my layman's perspective, I would think they should be able to install the Gateway without the Powerwalls and just have it run in standby mode. I can understand that coming out a second time would cost more, but $2500 seems a lot for one extra trip.

I am on opinion to wait. Splitting up an installation will indeed cost more because that's at least an extra day or more to process two interconnection agreements (solar then battery later on), and two inspections from your local authority (solar then battery later on). Tesla is into generating profits, so splitting up the installation may help or hurt your installation schedule.

On a personal note, I am waiting for a PW installation (12 months since signed contract) once supply becomes available. I am likely the least prioritized as my installation is an add-on to existing solar. To boot, the contract price is on the low-end in the price range (I would say -2sigma in terms of profitability). The only incentive for Tesla is they might lose me if my state incentive expires at the end of the 2018.

I am on opinion to wait. Splitting up an installation will indeed cost more because that's at least an extra day or more to process two interconnection agreements (solar then battery later on), and two inspections from your local authority (solar then battery later on). Tesla is into generating profits, so splitting up the installation may help or hurt your installation schedule.

On a personal note, I am waiting for a PW installation (12 months since signed contract) once supply becomes available. I am likely the least prioritized as my installation is an add-on to existing solar. To boot, the contract price is on the low-end in the price range (I would say -2sigma in terms of profitability). The only incentive for Tesla is they might lose me if my state incentive expires at the end of the 2018.
Interesting point... I wonder if they would do any of the prep work at the time of solar install If they know you have PWs coming. I’ll be sure to ask.

I asked that and the answer was no because "that would be non permitted equipment at the time." I'm pretty sure that's a made up answer but that's what was said....
Lol, yeah. Okay, if they want to do rework later, fine. As I understand it it’s all fixed cost in both sides. PV cost is set and the PW cost is included with that installation cost.

The irrefutable cases being built up by the Hornsdale and aggregated Powerwall projects in Australia and the post-Irma/Maria grid recovery in Puerto Rico are far far far more valuable to the Master Plan than single consumer sales. Striking at the inefficient core of centralized fossil utilities is priority one. Unfortunately the market has told Tesla they cannot go past that right now.

With the shorts "out on their feet", perhaps things can start to scale again soon.

553DAEF6-950C-4C31-B501-762CB0627098.jpeg
Installed today.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

I did note that outdoor-rated conduit fittings on the Powerwall, and indoor fittings on the Tesla Wall Connector. Were both installed at the same time?

I am planning to install my Powerwall the same place in my finished garage. Is it safe to assume that the gateways was mounted low because of the cellular antenna?

Thanks for posting.

I did note that outdoor-rated conduit fittings on the Powerwall, and indoor fittings on the Tesla Wall Connector. Were both installed at the same time?

I am planning to install my Powerwall the same place in my finished garage. Is it safe to assume that the gateways was mounted low because of the cellular antenna?

Tesla built the power wall and solar. The wall unit is my conduit work.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet