Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Powerwall Orders on Hold Indefinitely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting on Powerwalls from late 2016 referral program. Finally got the call in March 2018 that they were ready for me to do my own site survey. I did that right away and have yet to getthe survey design back. Just today after emailing a few times for an update I received this email from my sales guy:

"All Powerwall projects are on hold effective immediately due to Powerwall inventory constraints. We will be in touch with you when we have any sort of updates."

So much for ramping up Tesla Energy division.

I seriously hope this is not an absolute stop across all geos. I received an email eleven days ago that mine would be delivered on Sept 17th. and on that basis I agreed to pay the DNO £16k for network reinforcement (increasing my permitted generator size).

...I think I'll just pop outside and scream at the moon (a tension thang).

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and boaterva
Unless 4 people use my owner’s code today I will be getting a battery from LG Chem RESU series instead of a Powerwall. Free would be worth waiting for but I would like to avoid another winter without a backup. Asked my installer about how the two differ and the answer was “LG is available and PW is not”.

Reactions: cr0ntab and neroden
Unless 4 people use my owner’s code today I will be getting a battery from LG Chem RESU series instead of a Powerwall. Free would be worth waiting for but I would like to avoid another winter without a backup. Asked my installer about how the two differ and the answer was “LG is available and PW is not”.

I am as frustrated with the PW delays as the next guy, but the LG unit is not the same. DC coupling would require a specific inverter capable of supporting the LG and it just doesn't compare on other specs like capacity and peak power, but it is available. The AC coupling of the PW allows it to work with whatever you have. So make sure you're good on the inverter side before committing to the LG. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a good product if you're happy with the specs.

I am as frustrated with the PW delays as the next guy, but the LG unit is not the same. DC coupling would require a specific inverter capable of supporting the LG and it just doesn't compare on other specs like capacity and peak power, but it is available. The AC coupling of the PW allows it to work with whatever you have. So make sure you're good on the inverter side before committing to the LG. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a good product if you're happy with the specs.
Per thread, DC batteries paired to StorEdge's is about equivalent to an AC-coupled battery setup. StorEdge ~= Tesla Backup Gateway.

Two LG Resu 10 kWh is about 7 kWh off in capacity from two PW2s. If they ever release the 13 kWh RESUs in the USA, it would be par.

Also, I hearing/and reading the StorEdges "Time-Based Control" is much more mature and configurable.

Reactions: Gwgan
I already have the StorEdge as mentioned by NuShrike and thanks to the limited PW supply I have had time to see how the time based controls are more mature. Price per kWh is more but we will see how the RESU 13 compares; one would be adequate for backup

Edit:quote formatting not working

Reactions: NuShrike
This article is the best explanation I have heard regarding the battery production issue. Everything seems to point to late 2018 to early 2019 to get the Powerwall installs moving again.

BREAKING: Panasonic To Increase Gigafactory Cell Production More Than 30% By End Of 2018
I wonder if pulling workers from unrelated divisions to build the Model 3 is affecting the PowerWalls supply:
Tesla is enlisting workers from all over the company in an urgent push to build batteries and cars