Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Performance Tires recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should try with DWS06+. For an Ultra-high performance all-season tire, this tire really floaty with me. I used to put it on my Q5. Compared to the MXM4s that came with the car, I don't see a performance advantage, but better tire wear and slightly better traction. I live in snow country and was amazed at how well they handle on light and deep snow. You can check out this article for more information. Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 PLUS Review of 2022: Excellent Blend of Performance and Comfort - Tireer.com

Reactions: Benito1283
Vredestein itself says it's a UHP tire. Since they make the tire I'm going to go with their answer.

In what Tire Rack describes as “… a recipe for a paradigm shift in the category”, the Vredestein Quatrac Pro outperformed other leading brands in third-party independent tests for the All-Weather segment. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro was placed on top in the category of Grand Touring tires.

Straight from Vredesteins website.

I see Vredestein lists it as an UHP tire, but then what I quoted directly underneath.
As my 10 yr old would say, "seems sus."

I'm sure it's a fantastic tire.

Yes, exactly. It's a UHP tire.
I called my contact at Tire Rack and asked why the difference in the classification of the Vredestein tire, GT versus UHP. Yes, I'm in the Automotive repair business, with over 30 years experience in passenger and commercial tire sales. Not that that makes any difference to you, as I'm sure you're one of those guys who's never wrong. But whatevs. This is for the other people that will read this.

The reason for the GT classification of this particular Vredestein tire is due specifically to the 3PMS, which makes the tire a true "all weather" tire, as opposed to an "all season" tire that only has an M+S designation. Vredestein has a true UHP tire, the Hypertrac, that is much more geared towards handling and wet traction, and less towards winter traction. The rep I spoke to stated this question has been asked before, and he's not sure why Vredestein lists the Quatrac Pro as an UHP when it's really not. He asked me if I'd rather Autocross in a Cross Climate tire, or a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4? Or which one I'd rather have in snow and slush. The answer should be pretty obvious.

You can like and buy what you want, as will I, but I agree with Tire Rack, it is not a true UHP tire.

Reactions: VanGuy
I called my contact at Tire Rack and asked why the difference in the classification of the Vredestein tire, GT versus UHP. Yes, I'm in the Automotive repair business, with over 30 years experience in passenger and commercial tire sales. Not that that makes any difference to you ...

So what you're saying is that your 30 years experience means that you know better about the tire than the company that makes the tire itself? Wow.

I called my contact at Tire Rack and asked why the difference in the classification of the Vredestein tire, GT versus UHP. Yes, I'm in the Automotive repair business, with over 30 years experience in passenger and commercial tire sales. Not that that makes any difference to you, as I'm sure you're one of those guys who's never wrong. But whatevs. This is for the other people that will read this.

The reason for the GT classification of this particular Vredestein tire is due specifically to the 3PMS, which makes the tire a true "all weather" tire, as opposed to an "all season" tire that only has an M+S designation.
So they’re basically saying any tire with a 3PMS symbol will be categorized as a GT from their POV (excluding dedicated winter tires obv).

It might make sense from their POV. AW isn’t really well-known as a distinct category from
AS yet. It benefits them to promote it and gain consumer buy-in.

Reactions: BadTrainDriver
I totally agree.... I am not prioritizing snow traction and I shouldn't given I have the Nokian R3 studless. The key for me is wear as in the summer here in WA, it can get in the 90s, be wet, etc. In the fall, before putting on the R3, it's normally wet and in the 40s, so, I would want a tire that I can have on as long as possible before putting on the snow tires, which we do get some snow storms here and there. In addition, in the summer, we go to the mountains a lot for hikes, camping, etc. so I would like the tires to be okay at handling dirt, gravel and sharp rocks, etc. So, at this time, the contenders are the DWS06 Plus, PSAS4 and oddly enough, the MXM4, though I know so many people hate this tire! I've have 30k miles on them, and they are pretty good to me for what I've been using them for, except for ice/snow.
You are in a semi-similar situation as I am. I could probably get away with Summer tires, except I run the R9 tires (studs) so don't put them on till mid November, and take them off mid/late March. We do get some days in October/early November and late March where it gets below freezing (some years) and rare but occasional snow (like every 4-5 years)
I'll be replacing the tires this spring, and not sure what to get (18"), so really interested in this

Reactions: gotoma8
You are in a semi-similar situation as I am. I could probably get away with Summer tires, except I run the R9 tires (studs) so don't put them on till mid November, and take them off mid/late March. We do get some days in October/early November and late March where it gets below freezing (some years) and rare but occasional snow (like every 4-5 years)
I'll be replacing the tires this spring, and not sure what to get (18"), so really interested in this
You run studded tires… in Bayside?