Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Tire Preferences - MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON VS VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO VS EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS

All Season Tire Preferences -MICHELIN PILOT SPORT VS VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO VS EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just replaced my 275/45R19 EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06's with 285/40R19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON tires and I could not be happier. The difference in ride quality pleasantly surprised me! I worried that the ride quality due to going from 45's to 40's would take a big hit. But that didn't happen. I wanted a wider tire to protect my new Volk rims better. I HATE curb rash!!!!

I just replaced my 275/45R19 EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06's with 285/40R19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON tires and I could not be happier. The difference in ride quality pleasantly surprised me! I worried that the ride quality due to going from 45's to 40's would take a big hit. But that didn't happen. I wanted a wider tire to protect my new Volk rims better. I HATE curb rash!!!!
Picture? What is the width of the Volks? Same as stock 19’s?

I just got the quatrac pros. They seem to make my rear kick out when going at speed on turns. Hoping it's just they need to break in.

At this point I would vote for the pilots.
@Noflash How many miles do you have on them? Brand new tires are very slippery. Give them a few hundred miles to wear in before judging grip.

(This isn't specific to the Quatrac Pros, I've not used them.)

Reactions: Noflash
I just got the quatrac pros. They seem to make my rear kick out when going at speed on turns. Hoping it's just they need to break in.

At this point I would vote for the pilots.
I'm curious to hear more. How is the road noise? I bought the Quatrac Pros 255/45R20 to install when my OEMs wear down, or before next winter, whichever arrives first. Currently have 17k miles on the OEM Goodyears.

I'm curious to hear more. How is the road noise? I bought the Quatrac Pros 255/45R20 to install when my OEMs wear down, or before next winter, whichever arrives first. Currently have 17k miles on the OEM Goodyears.
Impressive amount of mileage. I generally drive pretty smooth and at 8k, I have less than 5/32 on the rear and right about 5/32 on the front. By 17k I’ll need a new set. (These are the Conti RX 19” Oem)

Impressive amount of mileage. I generally drive pretty smooth and at 8k, I have less than 5/32 on the rear and right about 5/32 on the front. By 17k I’ll need a new set. (These are the Conti RX 19” Oem)
I drive pretty smoothly. Only a couple "take-offs" just to show friends once in a while. The Goodyears started at 10/32 (8mm) and currently have 7/32 (5.3mm). My tire gauge measures in mm and that is easier for me. I used a conversion calculator to estimate the 32's.

You may want to consider new tires at 4/32.

I drive pretty smoothly. Only a couple "take-offs" just to show friends once in a while. The Goodyears started at 10/32 (8mm) and currently have 7/32 (5.3mm). My tire gauge measures in mm and that is easier for me. I used a conversion calculator to estimate the 32's.

You may want to consider new tires at 4/32.
I’m using a micrometer to measure and also in MM. it’s around 3-4mm. I’ll have to check again. New tires are $1500 and summer is approaching (no rain to worry about) so I’ll let them wear a little longer.

I haven’t rotated them as it’s not worth $50 to do so.

Reactions: JonB65

Attachments

• 20220506_072726.jpg
    20220506_072726.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 287
I replaced the Conti RX 19” OEM tires, which were around 3/32" and had 19,000 miles on them, last week with Quatrac Pro's. I was very unhappy with the OEM Conti's as neither Tesla nor Discount Tire could ever get rid of the vibrations (even with multiple balances and an alignment), which caused the dreaded low-frequency buffeting sound. The Conti's always felt squirrely on all surfaces as well, magnifying every little road imperfection.

With the Quatrac Pro's I am finally able to enjoy a quiet / low-frequency buffeting free ride, as they are smooth as silk and very quiet on good asphalt. There's still road noise on concrete and more worn road surfaces, but they are still noticeably quieter and smoother than the OEM's that I hated (probably loose acoustic foam inside).