Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Tires for 20” Uberturbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do 19s fit on the 3P? A bit of extra sidewall helps in the winters.

And of course you’d rather have two sets of wheels & tires rather than mounting and dismounting tires on the same rims over and over again.

And of course you’d rather have two sets of wheels & tires rather than mounting and dismounting tires on the same rims over and over again.
I think aftermarket 19” wheels with the right offsets would fit but the stock ones (sans spacers) are questionable(?). I’ve seen it being discussed on other threads but can’t remember the details.

Having 2 sets of wheels for each season would be best performance wise but I couldn’t be bothered to do that anymore. I don’t drive much anymore since permanently working from home plus PA winters are nowhere what we had to deal with when we were in MA.

Many aftermarket 18" and 19" wheels fit. Especially any wheel made for direct M3P fitment with the stepped hub, will fit. (Would be silly to match the hub lib and then not have clearance!)

I have 18x8.5" ET35 wheels with 245/45R18 tires on my 2021 M3P right now. Summer tires for me at the moment, so not helpful in this thread, but the setup feels GREAT, better than stock in every way - grip, ride, nimbleness, steering feel, and of course I'm way less stressed about bad roads / potholes. I'm planning to use these wheels for winter tires once the current tires wear out.

I was worried that I might find the taller 245/45 sidewalls too mushy, but not at all with summer performance tires. Most all-seasons will feel softer of course (especially if any snow capability), and for sure any real snow tire will, but the point is the taller sidewall performs completely fine, within the confines of your chosen tires.

I picked my M3P up last Tuesday and just dropped it off at a local tire shop to swap out the summer tires for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ all-seasons. So, I will be looking to sell the set of 4 Pirelli P-Zero summer tires with only 100 miles on them soon. Anyone have a thought as to how much I should sell them for?

I was worried that I might find the taller 245/45 sidewalls too mushy, but not at all with summer performance tires. Most all-seasons will feel softer of course (especially if any snow capability), and for sure any real snow tire will, but the point is the taller sidewall performs completely fine, within the confines of your chosen tires.
When I test drove the LR with 18" aeros, whatever stock tires those were (prolly the MXM4s or whatever), they were mushy in the transition to a spirited highway onramp. So, it's good to hear that other tires don't suffer that fate--it was *disconcerting*.

I picked my M3P up last Tuesday and just dropped it off at a local tire shop to swap out the summer tires for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ all-seasons. So, I will be looking to sell the set of 4 Pirelli P-Zero summer tires with only 100 miles on them soon. Anyone have a thought as to how much I should sell them for?
I've never had good luck selling used tires. I usually end up selling all 4 for the price of 1 lol.

I think I'm just going to save mine and maybe put them back on the car when I go to sell it in a few years.

For what it’s worth, I sold my tires locally for $600 with <75 mi on them.

Many aftermarket 18" and 19" wheels fit. Especially any wheel made for direct M3P fitment with the stepped hub, will fit. (Would be silly to match the hub lib and then not have clearance!)

I have 18x8.5" ET35 wheels with 245/45R18 tires on my 2021 M3P right now. Summer tires for me at the moment, so not helpful in this thread, but the setup feels GREAT, better than stock in every way - grip, ride, nimbleness, steering feel, and of course I'm way less stressed about bad roads / potholes. I'm planning to use these wheels for winter tires once the current tires wear out.

Which wheel do you have? Pictures? TIA!

When I test drove the LR with 18" aeros, whatever stock tires those were (prolly the MXM4s or whatever), they were mushy in the transition to a spirited highway onramp. So, it's good to hear that other tires don't suffer that fate--it was *disconcerting*.
Yup! It's mostly about the tires. MXM4 are a mushy mess if you care about performance and feel. When you downsize and switch to mushier all-seasons or especially winter tires at the same time, you take a triple whammy. (I'm writing this from experience. On past cars I've switched to winter tires in stock size on the stock wheels, and also switched to winters on separate, smaller diameter wheels.)

1) The tire would feel more mushy even at the same size.
2) The taller sidewall.
3) The softer sidewall will exaggerate the taller sidewall much more than a performance tire with stiff sidewalls.

In other words, for a winter/snow-friendly tire, I absolutely would expect it to feel more mushy in 245/45R18 than 235/35R20. But the extra softness can be useful in the snow. If you want your winter tire to feel as firm as possible though, I would guess that shorter sidewall helps.

Now if you have a really stiff track-focused suspension, solid bushings and mounts, etc - then I bet even with stiff performance tires you would feel *some* reduced responsiveness from the taller sidewalls. But on my otherwise stock M3P I really don't feel like I gave up anything vs the original PZ4+Uberturbine combo. There is still mushiness to the M3P's handling, but it feels the same level as before, if my wheel+tire change made it worse I can't tell (and I drive my car hard).

(Okay one thing - The Potenza Sport are slightly louder cruising on the highway than the foam-lined Tesla spec PZ4. I noticed when driving home from the tire shop. It's not a big difference though, and their noise doesn't bother me at all, I've had much louder performance tires that really were annoying on highway drives. Also the Potenza Sport are much quieter than the OE PZ4 when I'm shredding up a twisty road. ;))

Last edited:
Which wheel do you have? Pictures? TIA!
Wheels are Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" Satin Titanium.

Tires are Bridgestone Potenza Sport 245/45R18 100Y XL. Summer performance tires, not what you're looking for in this thread, but I highly recommend them for summer use!

Stock lug nuts with $9 set of gray covers that match pretty close. If you hold the covers in your hand they feel and look as cheap as the price, but standing next to the car they're fine and blend in well. I think they're worthwhile just to avoid grime and stuff getting onto the lug threads with the open-ended nuts.

The Titan7 wheels are forged, about $2000 for the set of 4 in this size. Cheap as brand new forged wheels go, though still expensive compared to basic decent cast / flow formed wheels of course. They are machined to fit directly onto the M3P stepped lip hub, no spacers or anything needed. To me they look and feel great (in terms of fit, machining, finish), there is nothing I could nitpick especially for the price. I don't have much experience with aftermarket wheels but I've had OE forged BBS wheels (different car), which were great too, but honestly there's nothing about these that I can tell is any worse.

Now if money were no object I'd probably rock some forged BBS or HRE instead. :) (Well if they even offer direct M3P fitment.)

As mentioned my plan buying these was for them to become my winter wheels, once this first set of summer rubber is used up. I wasn't sure how I'd like the 245/45 width or sidewall for summer use, so I figured I'd try one set like that, and then decide exactly what diameter & width wheels I want for summer while switching these to winter duty. But with really good tires I'm liking this setup so much I might just stay with this size for summer too!

Edit: The advantage of forged - which may not be worth it in $ terms - is they will be stronger (less likely to crack), even while weighing less at the same time. You'll probably get 80-90% (total guess) of the subjective benefit though from decent flow formed cast wheels, which will still weigh much less in 18x8.5 than the OE Uberturbines.

1641241755766.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BadTrainDriver
Wheels are Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" Satin Titanium.

Tires are Bridgestone Potenza Sport 245/45R18 100Y XL. Summer performance tires, not what you're looking for in this thread, but I highly recommend them for summer use!

Stock lug nuts with $9 set of gray covers that match pretty close. If you hold the covers in your hand they feel and look as cheap as the price, but standing next to the car they're fine and blend in well. I think they're worthwhile just to avoid grime and stuff getting onto the lug threads with the open-ended nuts.

The Titan7 wheels are forged, about $2000 for the set of 4 in this size. Cheap as brand new forged wheels go, though still expensive compared to basic decent cast / flow formed wheels of course. They are machined to fit directly onto the M3P stepped lip hub, no spacers or anything needed. To me they look and feel great (in terms of fit, machining, finish), there is nothing I could nitpick especially for the price. I don't have much experience with aftermarket wheels but I've had OE forged BBS wheels (different car), which were great too, but honestly there's nothing about these that I can tell is any worse.

Now if money were no object I'd probably rock some forged BBS or HRE instead. :) (Well if they even offer direct M3P fitment.)

As mentioned my plan buying these was for them to become my winter wheels, once this first set of summer rubber is used up. I wasn't sure how I'd like the 245/45 width or sidewall for summer use, so I figured I'd try one set like that, and then decide exactly what diameter & width wheels I want for summer while switching these to winter duty. But with really good tires I'm liking this setup so much I might just stay with this size for summer too!

Edit: The advantage of forged - which may not be worth it in $ terms - is they will be stronger (less likely to crack), even while weighing less at the same time. You'll probably get 80-90% (total guess) of the subjective benefit though from decent flow formed cast wheels, which will still weigh much less in 18x8.5 than the OE Uberturbines.

View attachment 751522
Those look great! And really show the red calipers. Do you see any better efficiency compared to the big/heavy Ubers? did it help 0-60 time at all? I've heard mixed responses on both fronts.

Those look great! And really show the red calipers. Do you see any better efficiency compared to the big/heavy Ubers? did it help 0-60 time at all? I've heard mixed responses on both fronts.
I don't really know either answer, sorry. No straight line acceleration difference that my butt dyno can tell, though I haven't floored it from a dead stop. The extra grip from the tires does help traction coming out of turns!

Subjectively these tires stick better in the wet (up to mild rain) than the OE PZ4 did in the dry, they're really amazing in the wet. So I wouldn't be surprised if wet 0-60 is measurably better *if* you could do a controlled comparison. Seems difficult to do on the street though. (I felt the OE PZ4 were fine in the wet, but these are easily better wet and dry.)

Efficiency: My driving is way too inconsistent for a meaningful comparison. Also I had less than 1k miles on the car when I made the swap. When I'm in a crunch for efficiency I haven't had any extra trouble keeping my Wh/mi low (besides wanting to keep the hammer down for fun 😁). My best guess is no major change in efficiency, and if I had to guess the details, my feeling is the Potenza Sports have slightly more rolling friction than the OE PZ4, but the lighter + smaller wheels are more efficient than the Uberturbines, and overall it's approximately a wash.

Edit: On twisty roads, slowing down less for turns helps efficiency, right? 🤔 ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BadTrainDriver
Thought I would share with you all what 245/35/20 all seasons look like on the uberturbines. (OEM is 235/35/20 btw).

I went with Continental DWS06 Plus tires, got them installed by Discount Tire after a little back and forth with them about a non-OEM tire size and they finally agreed to order & install. I kinda wish I had gone with 255/35/20 to get the sidewall more vertical (with this particular tire because I know they tend to run skinny). I can still fit my hand between the upper control arm and the tire easily so I'm farily sure they would fit, but it would prolly not help the economy of the car with more tread on the ground.

I've had DWS's before. They are fine. Not amazing in any weather condition, but now I can at least make it home if I get caught in unexpected weather.

QN0lMEc.jpg
JJPlYw7.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would share with you all what 245/35/20 all seasons look like on the uberturbines. (OEM is 235/35/20 btw).

I went with Continental DWS06 Plus tires, got them installed by Discount Tire after a little back and forth with them about a non-OEM tire size and they finally agreed to order & install. I kinda wish I had gone with 255/35/20 to get the sidewall more vertical (with this particular tire because I know they tend to run skinny). I can still fit my hand between the upper control arm and the tire easily so I'm farily sure they would fit, but it would prolly not help the economy of the car with more tread on the ground.

I've had DWS's before. They are fine. Not amazing in any weather condition, but now I can at least make it home if I get caught in unexpected weather.

View attachment 752400View attachment 752401

View attachment 753032Didn’t expect that much difference between 245 and 255. Attached are mine in 255 size; quite a bit of difference in my opinion. Could probably have gone to 265 as well and I may do that when/if this set ever wears out.View attachment 753033View attachment 753034

View attachment 753032View attachment 753033View attachment 753034

View attachment 753036View attachment 753037