Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Tires for 20” Uberturbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered a Model 3 Performance before realizing that they come with summer tires. I live in the PNW so winter is a thing here and my EDD is currently 12/8-12/31. I am looking into all season options but have not found much. I did find the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and am wondering what others might have to say on the matter.

Like you, I was looking in to all season tires as well, and had my eye on the Pilot all seasons. It seems they are out of stock everywhere, so I decided to get the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus in 245/35/20. I have not had them put on yet, but hoping to get them on in the next week or so. I read that the 245's will fit the stock 20 inch wheels on the m3p.

If you have mild winters - you need something that can handle freezing temps and a bit of snow, but you don't need serious snow tires - then I agree the DWS06 are a great choice. They're NOT going to perform like good summer tires in warm weather, nor like good snow tires in the snow/ice, but as a compromise for a certain kind of climate they're very good.

There are higher-performing all season tires for sure but my experience is they suck in the snow (let alone ice). Also, I've not been impressed with any Michelin all-seasons, though I've not tried the Pilot Sport All Season 4.

Disclaimer: This is all from experience with different cars, I haven't used any all-seasons on my new M3P.

I'll also mention that if you like to drive hard and take corners / twisty roads fast (hey you bought an M3P ;)), I suggest planning for separate winter and summer wheels so you can still swap to summer tires easily at home, without paying a tire shop to remount tires 2x/year.

This suggestion holds even if your winter setup is with all-seasons (because your winters are freezing but mild).

Edit: Last thing I'll mention: If you DO live someplace with serious snow...real snow tires are amazing. Conti makes good studless snow+ice tires too in my experience.

I'd like to see some pictures here. Sidewall is way different from one brand to another.

Look at this Michellin Pilot Alpin in 235 (OEM) width in this youtube video I found. The tire looks pretty stretched to me over the OEM Pirellis right? I'd be tempted to go to 245/35/20 with this brand. (Speedo would be like half a mile an hour too slow by doing this.)

1638316109158.png

I am having a heck of a time finding a place to install the 245/35/20 on mine. The shop I had it at today said that the 245 would not clear the knuckle, and so they didn’t even try to put it on. 2 other shops wouldn’t even do it, because they were not the OEM size.

I would recommend the new for 2021 Continental DWS06+.

They feel like a summer tire when dry (compared to my Pirelli PZeros that my M3P came with) and are quite capable in snow - same or better than Michelin PSAS4. Compared to the Michelin PS4AS they are 2% worse in dry traction but are better in wet and even/better in snow. However, they are quieter and much more comfortable than the Michelin PS4AS.

235 or 245 width should work on the uberturbines. 235 will retain the aggressive stretched look and accurate speedo. 245 will be 1% slow on the speedo and will lower efficiency being a wider tire.

the michillens seem to be the best tire option for all season, outperforming the continental's and they offer a credit $70 after you buy a set. I want them also for their better fatter side wall so your less likely to destroy a wheel when hitting a pothole.

I am having a heck of a time finding a place to install the 245/35/20 on mine. The shop I had it at today said that the 245 would not clear the knuckle, and so they didn’t even try to put it on. 2 other shops wouldn’t even do it, because they were not the OEM size.
But they do clear. Show them this photo from the Tesla website. They offer 245/35/20. Also, I just had Continental DWS06+ tires installed on my M3P last Friday. They are 245/35/20. I sent Tire Rack the photo from Teslas website and they shipped them for me. They too, expressed concern that it might touch the suspension or fender.

No rubbing issues so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-29 135540.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-29 135540.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot 2021-12-06 170925.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-06 170925.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 396
But they do clear. Show them this photo from the Tesla website. They offer 245/35/20. Also, I just had Continental DWS06+ tires installed on my M3P last Friday. They are 245/35/20. I sent Tire Rack the photo from Teslas website and they shipped them for me. They too, expressed concern that it might touch the suspension or fender.

No rubbing issues so far.
Those Zero G have different offset from the uber rims though right?

235/35ZR20​

Is this the right size for 2022 P? Found a set for January
That's the OEM size, but many would argue it's not the correct size for the width of the car's wheels. The 235-series tires seem too narrow for the OEM 9" Uberturbine wheel, as the result is a stretched fit which offers no wheel protection whatsoever, and looks goofy to some (myself included).

Like many others, I went with the Continental DWS06+ in 245/35R20, but I put them on the older 8.5" M3P OEM wheels (see below). The 245-series tires (at least the Contis, which may be a bit on the skinny side compared to other brands) seem just adequate on an 8.5" wheel. If I were going to re-skin my Ubers, I'd be looking for a 255-series tire.

PXL_20211222_193224393.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
So, I ordered a Model 3 Performance before realizing that they come with summer tires. I live in the PNW so winter is a thing here and my EDD is currently 12/8-12/31. I am looking into all season options but have not found much. I did find the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and am wondering what others might have to say on the matter.
Same issue here in the NE US. I ordered Pirelli Sottozero 3s and had them put on the day after I brought my M3P home. Will store them and switch back to Michelin summer tires in April timeframe. Cheaper than buying a full set of wheels/tires for winter.