Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All-Season tires for staggered 21" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my car and it came (from Tesla) with mismatched front and rear summer tires. Since I live in the Midwest, I'd much rather have all-season tires on the vehicle but I can't find a set of tires that will work with the staggered wheel configuration. Has anyone encountered this before and found a way to overcome it?

Nobody sells staggered all season sets, but you can buy two 245s for the front, and two 265s for the back of different model tires. Or you could buy all 245s, the back rim will be stretched a little and you will have no rim protection at all. Or buy all 265s and you will have a wider tire up front that might rub if you crank the wheel all the way, but otherwise will be ok. People have done both. Tire rack and discount tire both have cheaper all season options. I got a set of 245 all seasons for $370 shipped today, which I’m putting on my staggered arachnids.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Will Tesla sell two 8.5" rims to put on the back? That way I could run a symmetric 245 tire and have the option for the bigger summer/performance tires in warm months and figure out a way rotate the tires more normally.

Thanks for the tips. I decided to swap the back wheels from 21"x 8.5" rims (found these online for $235 ea)

21-Inch 2012-2017 Tesla Model S Wheels for Sale – Front Wheel

and get these tires:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-AS-1-245-35R21-96-Y-Tire/55190095

Seems like an economical and practical solution for me given this car is a daily driver and never goes to the track or does anything crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions for inflation pressure for the back tires in this setup?
probably 45psi all around.

I hope this is my final question in this thread, and this has me worried. The only 245-35-21 all-season tires I can find are the Nankang's that have a 96Y XL speed/load rating. Unfortunately, it looks like this setup will be under the rear GWAR by 60lbs (30 lbs per tire). To be clear, I never fully load my car and would never be close to the full allowable gross weights, so I think it will be safe, but will it create problems I'm not anticipating?

I hope this is my final question in this thread, and this has me worried. The only 245-35-21 all-season tires I can find are the Nankang's that have a 96Y XL speed/load rating. Unfortunately, it looks like this setup will be under the rear GWAR by 60lbs (30 lbs per tire). To be clear, I never fully load my car and would never be close to the full allowable gross weights, so I think it will be safe, but will it create problems I'm not anticipating?

You’ll be fine, the load rating is normally 96 on the stock square 21s, that’s what mine have, and most of the compatible tires listed on tire rack are also 96. If I recall correctly the staggered wheels are the only ones with a higher load rating.

Vredestein also has some recently released all seasons:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=435YR1QTPXL

Thanks for the tips. I decided to swap the back wheels from 21"x 8.5" rims (found these online for $235 ea)

21-Inch 2012-2017 Tesla Model S Wheels for Sale – Front Wheel

and get these tires:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-AS-1-245-35R21-96-Y-Tire/55190095

Seems like an economical and practical solution for me given this car is a daily driver and never goes to the track or does anything crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions for inflation pressure for the back tires in this setup?

I've been driving my P100D Model S with the square 245/35/21 All-Season setup for about a week now. For daily driving, I don't notice any difference except a quiter ride (likely the softer tires at colder temps). I do notice that the back end feels a little squirrely accelerating in ludicrous mode, but I guess I should have expected that. Overall, I think its a better-driving and safer car for me now (especially in a climate with sub-freezing temperatures).

If anyone wants to buy two 265/35/21 charcoal turbine rims (one has some curb rash), let me know.

I just put these on my car yesterday. Had mismatched Primacy and MXMs on 19"s before. These ones are already quieter, smoother, and seem to have grip for days. They are 3PMSF rated and should do great in the snow, though we have none in Seattle yet for me to test. Cost is pretty reasonable too.

They meet all the load and speed ratings as well.

Pardon me for the thread necromancy.

Discount Tire/America's Tire (depending on where you live) shows the Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ being available for the staggered 21" setup. I've seen these tires mentioned in the 19" wheel thread but I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on the overall performance and durability of the tires in the more demanding staggered configuration?

"Winter" here consists of some rain and overnight temps in the 30's-40's with about a weeklong dip into the 20's. Daytime temps range from the mid 40's to 60° so an all season tire would be ideal.

The reason I'm asking is that I've finally installed my referral Arachnids and next fall when the tires need to be replaced due to wear anyway I would have the ADVAN Sport installed vs. having to swap back to the 19" Slipstreams.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated.