Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All season tires install on my Plaid yesterday and A MAJOR RANGE INCREASE ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CBGPE

Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2020
SPRING VALLEY
Yesterday took the Plaid in for a wheel and tire change out @ the Mount Kisco Tesla Facility. They had to dismount the tires install the "purple" Tire Pressure sensors that are different and are blue tooth. They installed ST 20" Tesla Model S Long Range & Plaid Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) Satin Black 20x10" Front & Rear / Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 285/35 ZR20 on my 2021 Plaid VIN: 5YJSA1E65MF4XXXXXX. The techs at Mount Kisco discovered a problem on unpacking the wheels one wheel was damaged. The techs took photos for me to send off to T Sportline.The good news is that T Sportline shipped a replacement wheel the same day on receipt of the photos, That process was started while they were still mounting and balancing the wheels.
The tires at least for spirited street driving are excellent. The one issue is they are noisy. I spent at little time with the sport line people and their opinion was the lack of the deadening foam on the tires is an issue. It may be and they are looking into it that a retro fit of the material may be possible. I hope so. The Plaid is the quietest car I have been in...but no longer.
Now for the little surprise. I normally charge to 70 %. That gives me about 242 miles of range EXCEPT this morning 274 miles of range ????
I switched back and forth between % and miles and yup 70 % charge. I can assure you it was not my driving. If you divide the range by the % charge you get 397 MILE RANGE!! In the past the % charge and the range followed the normal 348 mile range BUT NO MORE1 I did not spare the electrons on the way home and was using around 300-310 watts per mile. I was NOT trying for a good "safety score" and wanted to push the tires a bit. The tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 28.854"for the all seasons. Perhaps the Plaid saw the tire diameter difference and the same wheel RPM and concluded ?? Do cars conclude ? That I had 19 inch wheels so figured a longer range ? We will see if it concluded correctly I will let you know. BTW the Plaid if driven normally does get close the projected range with the stock tires.
Here are a couple of photos taken this evening in my garage with an antique iPhone 7 so nothing special

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
What you are seeing is likely just a function of a change in the setting of the computer using what wheels it thinks are on the car. If you had 21” wheels before, they told the computer you now have 19” (or perhaps they have a setting for 20” Zero G and they used that).

What really matters is Wh/mile. Post what this was before and after. Reset one of your trip meters now with the tire change.

What you are seeing is likely just a function of a change in the setting of the computer using what wheels it thinks are on the car. If you had 21” wheels before, they told the computer you now have 19” (or perhaps they have a setting for 20” Zero G and they used that).

What really matters is Wh/mile. Post what this was before and after. Reset one of your trip meters now with the tire change.
The range at 70 % charge this am was 277 miles vs 274 so even more range. I concur the watts per mile determines range. Depending on the trip 260 for a low 330-340 watts per mile for a high. I will see what it does today and post some feed back.

. I concur the watts per mile determines range.
No. that’s not what I said and that isn’t true. (if by “range” you mean indicated range on the display)

Indicated range is a projected estimate based on mostly static assumptions (like wheel size) in the computer formula.

wh/mile is based on actual wh used per mile. That is what you want to compare before and after — holding all other variables (temperature, elevation change, AC usage, schooling nearby corvettes, etc.) constant.

The range displayed on the IC is based on a fixed coefficient and does not change based on how you drive. It does change when you flip the config form 21" to 19" wheels, which the service folks may have done when they changed your wheels. Go to Config > Service > Wheel Configuration and see what it says there.
I run 20” wheels on my 3 and 18” on my 3, the wheel configuration just changes the car avatar on the app.

Dies that set up get quieter with a few miles on them? Want to go to that same setup but do not want the noise increase.

I guess I could turn on the ANC. Oh, wait...
The tires seem to be getting less noisy but have not put very many miles on them yet. The ride, handling, grip in all directions for street driving is about the same as the summer tires. I think the wheel tire package has a pretty good look.
On the range issue before the new tires the miles traveled and the range used were pretty much in agreement.
Now the miles traveled and the range used are no where near consistent and off by just about the % gained in the range.
I have to check out the Go to Config > Service > Wheel Configuration and see what it says there. As suggest by Duke 846.
I suspect that may be the an issue. I will just switch it back to the 21 inch wheels if it is set to the 19 inch wheels. I suspect the rolling resistance of the all season 285/35R20 is about the same as the summer tires.

Attachments

• IMG_1544 crop .jpg
    IMG_1544 crop .jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 190
The tires seem to be getting less noisy but have not put very many miles on them yet. The ride, handling, grip in all directions for street driving is about the same as the summer tires. I think the wheel tire package has a pretty good look.
On the range issue before the new tires the miles traveled and the range used were pretty much in agreement.
Now the miles traveled and the range used are no where near consistent and off by just about the % gained in the range.
I have to check out the Go to Config > Service > Wheel Configuration and see what it says there. As suggest by Duke 846.
I suspect that may be the an issue. I will just switch it back to the 21 inch wheels if it is set to the 19 inch wheels. I suspect the rolling resistance of the all season 285/35R20 is about the same as the summer tires.
Yes my friends are Tesla service guys. the tires you put on are the same diamete correct?

here is a tire calculator.
most longtime Tesla owners drive in percentage.
knowing your wh/mi is the same as mpg. The range estimates battery 🔋 is just that a estimate.
looks to me the average refresh S is getting 290-320 average.
new tires need a little braking in. Trust me when I say this car is not that smart to know tire type wheel size and all you think that’s going on.
remember if you’re diameters are larger or smaller it won’t show the correct distance And your speedometer will be off.

The actual diameters of the OEM 21's and the 285/35r20 are not exactly the same but would imagine they are close enough for the car. The OEM 20's coming in the track package is that 285 size in front.

The weird thing to me is that even the OEM 21's are different overall diameters of front v rear. Car seems fine with that issue. It must be in the program or that little of a difference is no big deal in real life.

The actual diameters of the OEM 21's and the 285/35r20 are not exactly the same but would imagine they are close enough for the car. The OEM 20's coming in the track package is that 285 size in front.

The weird thing to me is that even the OEM 21's are different overall diameters of front v rear. Car seems fine with that issue. It must be in the program or that little of a difference is no big deal in real life.
ok make it simple is your speedo showing the correct speed. GPS is a great way to test.
21”19“20” makes no difference on the speed. Rim size makes zero differenc. It’s tire size and sidewall.

my model 3 performance has 2 sets of wheels.
I have 18” they are 235/45/18 Nokia’s Hakka
I also have summer 20 inch” 235/35/20”
the difference in diameter is less than 1%
you definitely want as close to the oem diameter front and rear to get a accurate speed.

here is a tire calculator.
most longtime Tesla owners drive in percentage.
knowing your wh/mi is the same as mpg. The range estimates battery 🔋 is just that a estimate.
looks to me the average refresh S is getting 290-320 average.
new tires need a little braking in. Trust me when I say this car is not that smart to know tire type wheel size and all you think that’s going on.
remember if you’re diameters are larger or smaller it won’t show the correct distance And your speedometer will be off.
I agree it's an estimate. I have not run my Plaid From 100 % to Zero to see what the range is so I can't comment on the figures you give but they are reasonable depending on how much fun you are having with the Plaid. I think in a prior post I noted the tire diameter differences and the new tires were 0.1 to 0.45 inches smaller on a roughly 28inch tire. he tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 27.854"for the all seasons. I will do a speedo calibration in the future and see how close it is. My model X with stock tires was spot on @ 50 mph 49.99 mph was what I measured over 2 miles and I was a faction of a second late when I stopped the stop watch on my iPhone. When I drive conservatively with the OEM tires the mileage estimate in the Plaid is close and sometimes I get a few % more miles that it estimates so for me it's more useful to leave the range in miles. If I want percentage I just divide the range by 35 for each 10 % of charge in the Plaid. I avoid going down to less than 70 miles of range and usually charge to 70 % or 240-245 miles.
I will keep the readers posted on how the tire do as far as noise. Thanks for you insight

Yes your car will say more range when going down from 21”20”19.
I am more concerned your tires are not the correct diamete than the oem.
the plaid runs staggered sizes front rear.
did you put the tire sizes in the calculator I keep posting?
your sportline aftermarket wheels are not staggered.
why not?

Yesterday took the Plaid in for a wheel and tire change out @ the Mount Kisco Tesla Facility. They had to dismount the tires install the "purple" Tire Pressure sensors that are different and are blue tooth. They installed ST 20" Tesla Model S Long Range & Plaid Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) Satin Black 20x10" Front & Rear / Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 285/35 ZR20 on my 2021 Plaid VIN: 5YJSA1E65MF4XXXXXX. The techs at Mount Kisco discovered a problem on unpacking the wheels one wheel was damaged. The techs took photos for me to send off to T Sportline.The good news is that T Sportline shipped a replacement wheel the same day on receipt of the photos, That process was started while they were still mounting and balancing the wheels.
The tires at least for spirited street driving are excellent. The one issue is they are noisy. I spent at little time with the sport line people and their opinion was the lack of the deadening foam on the tires is an issue. It may be and they are looking into it that a retro fit of the material may be possible. I hope so. The Plaid is the quietest car I have been in...but no longer.
Now for the little surprise. I normally charge to 70 %. That gives me about 242 miles of range EXCEPT this morning 274 miles of range ????
I switched back and forth between % and miles and yup 70 % charge. I can assure you it was not my driving. If you divide the range by the % charge you get 397 MILE RANGE!! In the past the % charge and the range followed the normal 348 mile range BUT NO MORE1 I did not spare the electrons on the way home and was using around 300-310 watts per mile. I was NOT trying for a good "safety score" and wanted to push the tires a bit. The tire diameter is within about 0.1-0.45 inches of the stock diameter (265X .35X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 28.303" & 295X .30X 2 /25.4 + 21 = 27.969") vs 285X .35X 2 /25.4 + 20 = 28.854"for the all seasons. Perhaps the Plaid saw the tire diameter difference and the same wheel RPM and concluded ?? Do cars conclude ? That I had 19 inch wheels so figured a longer range ? We will see if it concluded correctly I will let you know. BTW the Plaid if driven normally does get close the projected range with the stock tires.
Here are a couple of photos taken this evening in my garage with an antique iPhone 7 so nothing special
4 285/35/20” seems wrong.
I know this has nothing to do with your original question but I cannot find the configuration on tsspottline website anymore.
I think the sent you 4 rear wheels.

I agree something not correct here.
my ocd alert is going off.

I believe you got the wrong tires.
your more than 4% difference in diameter. That’s also a 4% difference in gearing taller.
at 60mph your real speed is 62.8.
and a 285 all around will definitely get you less range.