Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All season tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there I live in Portland, OR where winter average low temperature is 35.2 and it snows like once in 3 months means no snow tires needed. I do plan going to ski resorts like 10 times with tons of packed snow and curios if anyone has experience with stock all season tires in snow areas.
Im not talking about iced roads since any non studded tires are almost equally bad :)

While not in a Tesla, we used to routinely drive from Dallas to Durango, CO to ski and there was no way I was going to do that in a vehicle with all-season tires. Tests have shown that, all other things being equal, having snow tires with RWD beats all-season tires on an AWD vehicle every time when it comes to traction in in the snow. Our experience did not contradict that. We only had RWD but we never had a problem with the good snow tires on the car.

For our ski trips, we bought a spare set of wheels, equipped them with Michelin X-Ice, and used them just for the round trip to CO. The peace of mind was totally worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: sardox and CO_MY
Hi there I live in Portland, OR where winter average low temperature is 35.2 and it snows like once in 3 months means no snow tires needed. I do plan going to ski resorts like 10 times with tons of packed snow and curios if anyone has experience with stock all season tires in snow areas.
Im not talking about iced roads since any non studded tires are almost equally bad :)
Hey fellow Portlander! :) If you can swing it, it’s always a good idea to run dedicated winter tires. We do get around/below freezing regularly in Portland and we’ve have had some decent snow storms over recent years. Snow tires aren’t just for snow, the rubber compound performs better at braking/handling for lower temps. They will perform better on iced roads than the best all season tire. With the lows in the 20’s this week I’ll be throwing winter tires on my wife’s ICE vehicle. I’m just waiting on TSportline for rims to mount dedicated winters on our Model Y performance. You probably bought a Tesla with Safety in mind and better rubber in my opinion is an important safety device.

I ordered a set of wheels from T Sportline with Micheline X-Ice Snow tires, so I can take a very long drive to Bend, OR from San Francisco, to spend a few weeks there. My biggest worry is the amount of wear I'll have on the X-Ice snow tires on my drive there, but hopefully it'll be a really cold winter!

Hey Portland peeps! Winter tires are important here too, but we need wet performance as much or more than snow performance. Many/most snow tires do HORRIBLE in the wet. Make sure you look at tire tests on Tire Rack and Consumer reports. I picked up Vredestein Wintrac Pros for my Y, 255/45-19 104V. Top rated by Consumer Reports in snow, ice and wet--and supposed to be quiet too. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=545VR9WTPXL&tab=Sizes

Reactions: sardox
Just ordered them last week and came in 3 days.
FF45EA7C-EC0E-4B99-A54C-EA5895C8BBEA.jpeg

How do YOU like them? They have amazing tire test results on Tire Rack!

I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pros 255/45-19s on Martian 19 x 8.5 45mm offset wheels. I love them! I originally tried the Bridgestone Quietracks in the same size. Compared to the Qiettracks the Vredesteins have a smoother ride, are quieter by 3 - 4 db, better rolling resistance and way better wet handling. Dry handling on the street is a toss up.

I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pros 255/45-19s on Martian 19 x 8.5 45mm offset wheels. I love them! I originally tried the Bridgestone Quietracks in the same size. Compared to the Qiettracks the Vredesteins have a smoother ride, are quieter by 3 - 4 db, better rolling resistance and way better wet handling. Dry handling on the street is a toss up.

Any noticeable change in efficiency from stock wheels?

Any noticeable change in efficiency from stock wheels?

No. With the Quiettracks I actually saw worse efficiency than with the stock 21s. With the Vredesteins my efficiency is pretty close to stock 21" wheels. I think the 21" ubertine is a pretty aerodynamic wheel. So, IMHO, I'm gaining aerodynamic drag by switching to aftermarket wheels and getting lower rolling resistance with the Vredesteins. The two seem to cancel out. What's interesting is that both Tire Rack and Consumer Reports say that the Quiettracks are supposed to be lower rolling resistance than the Vredesteins. The size of the tire must matter, because I tested both at the same air pressure on the same stretch of road with the same environmental conditions at the same speed with lights and HVAC turned off multiple times. I saw 3% to 4% better efficiency with the Quatrac pros over the Quiettracks. 255/45-19 for both. BTW, also no change in 0-60 times over the heavy 21s tested with a Dragy.

No. With the Quiettracks I actually saw worse efficiency than with the stock 21s. With the Vredesteins my efficiency is pretty close to stock 21" wheels. I think the 21" ubertine is a pretty aerodynamic wheel. So, IMHO, I'm gaining aerodynamic drag by switching to aftermarket wheels and getting lower rolling resistance with the Vredesteins. The two seem to cancel out. What's interesting is that both Tire Rack and Consumer Reports say that the Quiettracks are supposed to be lower rolling resistance than the Vredesteins. The size of the tire must matter, because I tested both at the same air pressure on the same stretch of road with the same environmental conditions at the same speed with lights and HVAC turned off multiple times. I saw 3% to 4% better efficiency with the Quatrac pros over the Quiettracks. 255/45-19 for both. BTW, also no change in 0-60 times over the heavy 21s tested with a Dragy.
Did you match DragTimes first run out of the dealership?
I finally got my TPMS from Tesla (14 days!) and mounted the Quatrac Pros on Martian 20x8.5 and I'm very happy. I do enjoy the 21s with the Pzeros but I feel this new setup is much more comfortable without sacrificing much performance. I've been trying to break them loose in hard driving in this PNW rain and they hold great!
What pressure are you running your Quatracs Pros?

Did you match DragTimes first run out of the dealership?
I'm not sure what they were getting? I've always gotten about 3.77 - 3.80 0-60, about 3.55 - 3.58 with the one foot roll out. I still am with the 19x8.5 Martians. I remember someone doing better with Model 3 wheels, but IMHO that was due to tire diameter and not wheel/tire weight.

I do enjoy the 21s with the Pzeros but I feel this new setup is much more comfortable without sacrificing much performance. I've been trying to break them loose in hard driving in this PNW rain and they hold great!
Agreed 100%

What pressure are you running your Quatracs Pros?
same as I ran the 21, 45 psi. I know that's high, but I see a good 15 -20 wh/mi improvement over 42 psi.