Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Upgrade: Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 2021 MYLR with 19" wheels a couple months ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I live in Denver and we sometimes get serious snowfall. The stock tires (Continental ProContact RX) have seemed fine to me on dry roads but left me less than confident during our recent snow. After lots of research I've decided to upgrade to a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. I'm not super knowledgeable about tires, so I have a few questions:

1) Will I take any hit on range/efficiency? If so, roughly how much?
2) How might the DWS compare in terms of road noise?
3) What's this I hear about foam? Do the DWS come with foam, or can it be added?

Any other downsides? It sounds like the DWS will do better than the ProContacts all around - dry, wet, snow, ice, comfort.

Any thoughts on the best place to sell the stock tires? They only have 1300 miles on them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I also want to replace the stock contis with some all weather tires that will do better in snow but am worried there’s no market for the OE tires.

I’ve been looking at either the vredstein quatrac pro or Michelin crossclimate2 since they are snow-rated (3PMS)

I got my 2021 MYLR with 19" wheels a couple months ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I live in Denver and we sometimes get serious snowfall. The stock tires (Continental ProContact RX) have seemed fine to me on dry roads but left me less than confident during our recent snow. After lots of research I've decided to upgrade to a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. I'm not super knowledgeable about tires, so I have a few questions:

1) Will I take any hit on range/efficiency? If so, roughly how much?
2) How might the DWS compare in terms of road noise?
3) What's this I hear about foam? Do the DWS come with foam, or can it be added?

Any other downsides? It sounds like the DWS will do better than the ProContacts all around - dry, wet, snow, ice, comfort.

Any thoughts on the best place to sell the stock tires? They only have 1300 miles on them. Thanks!
I replaced my OEM Conti's after 900 miles as they were noisy and have a lousy rating for snow. I went with the DSWos+ and have been happy with them after 3590 miles. They seem quieter and ride a bit better. Tread should be better in the New Hampshire snow when it finally arrives. There is no foam and that is probably a plus If they need a repair. They have almost the exact same specs for size and a load as the OEMs. I wouldn't hesitate. There is a Michelin to consider, as well. FYI there seems to be no market for the oem's. Can’t seem to get anyone interested at $395 for essentially four new tires.

I have used DWS06's on some of my other prior vehicles and have found they are great! I was actually wondering if these would be a good replacement for the stock ones, given the greater than normal load requirements of the Model Y when compared to an ICE vehicle

Reactions: Floydsox
Great question!

So I just put DWS06 on my X5 35i to frequent the mountains in the PNW and I'm happy to say it performs just as well as the Michelin AS4s that my Model Y Performance came with. You cant go wrong either way. Road noise and ride quality is about the same for the Continentals and Michelins.

DWS06 are known for being a really good all season tire that can handle some wet rain and snow, given you understand how to correct a slide/break of traction. The road noise is really minimal and the ride quality is great. Would recommend them. No idea if they have foam inside.

Great question!

So I just put DWS06 on my X5 35i to frequent the mountains in the PNW and I'm happy to say it performs just as well as the Michelin AS4s that my Model Y Performance came with. You cant go wrong either way. Road noise and ride quality is about the same for the Continentals and Michelins.

DWS06 are known for being a really good all season tire that can handle some wet rain and snow, given you understand how to correct a slide/break of traction. The road noise is really minimal and the ride quality is great. Would recommend them. No idea if they have foam inside.
Unless things have changed in the past 3 years, no foam on the inside of the DWS06's.

After doing a lot of research and narrowing down to Michelin CrossClimate (ruled out due to some reviews noting noisy/whirring, I also noticed Michelin likes to give you less tread on some of their tires vs other brands but doesn't save you any $) and the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, I settled on the Continental DWS06 Plus tires for my 2018 Model 3 LR and have been very happy. The stock Michelins only lasted me 2 years ~28k miles. I have about that same mileage almost 2 years later on the DWS06+ and am would never go back to the OEM Michelin. The DWS06 for me is about the same efficiency (once broken in), about as quiet even though it does not have foam, better turn in, ride quality, much better grip, and better wet/snow traction here in New England. The DWS06+ also wear much much better, as I still expect to be able to get another 20k miles out of these tires.

Please report back if or when you’ve unloaded the procontacts. I really want to swap out the OE tires but don’t think there’s much market for them.
I managed to sell the full set of ProContacts for $350 on eBay (buyer paid additional shipping). Not what I was hoping for, but better than nothing. You might have an easier time in the spring.

I've put 300 miles on my DWS06+'s and couldn't be happier. They're very grippy, much better in the snow, and quieter than the stock ProContacts - even though the DWS don't have foam and the ProContacts do.

I also want to replace the stock contis with some all weather tires that will do better in snow but am worried there’s no market for the OE tires.

I’ve been looking at either the vredstein quatrac pro or Michelin crossclimate2 since they are snow-rated (3PMS)
have the cross climate 2 in colorado and they have been great..2k on them and still look new tead wise..quiet and great in the snow. will run them all year..I had nokians last time and liked them but they wore too fast...the vledestien was on my radar. i may next go for them or the dsw+
what about pure contact ls?
rated higher warranty wise.

have the cross climate 2 in colorado and they have been great..2k on them and still look new tead wise..quiet and great in the snow. will run them all year..I had nokians last time and liked them but they wore too fast...the vledestien was on my radar. i may next go for them or the dsw+
what about pure contact ls?
rated higher warranty wise.
You have the CrossClimate 2 on a Model Y? They don't come in the right size for the stock 19" wheels, right?

You can easily use the Cross Climate 2 in a 245/45/19 on the Y 245/45-19 Cross Climate.. The overall dimensions are very close, rotational speeds are negligible compared to the stock 255/45-19. Tire Dimension Comparison
Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I know nothing about tire sizes—are the last two numbers the size of the wheel and the first number the outer diameter? So the 245/45-19 fits the same sized wheels, but is a slightly smaller diameter?

Anyone run a 275/40R19? These tires are also about 28” in diameter but are actually designed for a 9.5” rim and have a wider contact patch (rim protection). The only pitfall I see so far is 10% increase in weight.

The weight rating for the DWS06 is 101 where as the Michelin AS4 is 105 (model Y for 19” standard is 104).