Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Season Wheel and Tire Package Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MYP for going on 18 months, didn't realize last weekend that the tires really shouldn't be used when it's cold last year (my bad!) so I'm looking to get a new wheel and tire package, while there are many threads across the internet on this it is a little perplexing so I was hoping for some discussion and advice.

The Tesla packages are all out of stock, I have looked at TSportLine and it seems their package which I believe is Wheels+Tires+TPMS would come in around $3,200 however the satin black that I'd prefer is back ordered. I have been looking at packages on TireRack and DiscountTire that come in around $2,000 but without TPMS. I don't want winter tires, I plan to go all season which should be fine for my needs (live in NH but have no great need to actually drive in snow).

I have read good things about the VREDSTEIN tires, it doesn't seem as if discounttire sell them.

Is 255/19-45 the best choice? Same front and back or not?

My preference is for a flat black / satin rather than glossy.

What about TPMS, is this something that has to be installed at the time the tires are mounted or can it be "added later" if I get my tires delivered already mounted?

I currently have Uberturbines, I don't mind the firm ride at all but I'm certainly curious to see how different it will be on 19" or 20" wheels and may end up sticking with them and selling the current wheels.

Thoughts? Advice? Particularly about TPMS, I think tirerack offer TPMS for $380 or thereabouts, I'm assuming it isn't a simple process to swap over the sensors from my current wheels?

IMG_5119.PNG
IMG_5118.PNG

You can order a set of TPMS sensors through your Tesla Service Center. (To re-use your existing TPMS sensors the tires would have to be removed from the wheels.)

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is a highly regarded all-season tire and is available for the Model Y in 255/45R-19 and 255/40R-20 size. For wheels you can go with Tire Rack's wheel offering, TSportline, Martian or other wheels. Another option is to purchase a set of used 19" Gemini wheels from eBay or Craig's List.

Some Performance Model Y owners with the 21" Uberturbine wheels have installed Michelin AS4:

it’s been confirmed that Michelin Pilot Sport (PS) AS4 size 265/35/21 Front and 275/35/21 Rear will fit the Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine wheels.

Michelin recently announced the PS AS4 in 21" OEM sizes and Tesla fitment designation. There's a thread bumping around on that somewhere. IIRC November 1 is expected release.

For TPMS it has to be installed before the tire is mounted, correct? i.e. If I order wheels and tires already mounted and have to get TPMS elsewhere then the tires would have to be removed to install the sensors? I believe TireRack offers TPMS for $380, I have vehicle details specified so I assume it should be compatible... maybe?!

For TPMS it has to be installed before the tire is mounted, correct? i.e. If I order wheels and tires already mounted and have to get TPMS elsewhere then the tires would have to be removed to install the sensors? I believe TireRack offers TPMS for $380, I have vehicle details specified so I assume it should be compatible... maybe?!
Correct, you can't mount the tires unless you have TPMS sensors (you can either purchase new TPMS sensors or use the TPMS sensors from your existing wheels) to install on the new wheels. The TPMS sensor is part of the tire valve assembly.

Reactions: Daekwan and ArtK
Got it, thanks, I plan to keep my other wheels/tires intact so it looks like I'll need to shop for TPMS directly then have them mounted together - wishful thinking that they could all arrive ready to pop on to the car!

Got it, thanks, I plan to keep my other wheels/tires intact so it looks like I'll need to shop for TPMS directly then have them mounted together - wishful thinking that they could all arrive ready to pop on to the car!
If you wait until November you should be able to order Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 all-season tires in the OE tire size, front and rear, for the Tesla Performance Model Y 21" Uberturbine wheels.

If you wait until November you should be able to order Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 all-season tires in the OE tire size, front and rear, for the Tesla Performance Model Y 21" Uberturbine wheels.

Interesting option, I'm curious to try a smaller wheel to see how the ride differs though although it is certainly tempting. Are these tires something new that is not available today?

I can attest to the quatrac pros are excellent tires i previously used on a front wheel drive accord in a foot of snow and they were perfectly fine, the real reason i got them at the time was so i stopped wheel spin than the stock michellin mx4 garbage they came in but the quatrac pros were awesome and the snow traction was extra

I went ahead and got them for my MY as well and i bought some tsportline wheels with the quatracs delivered to my house and i bought the tmps as well from tire rack
i took the wheels, tires and tmps to my local pep boys and they assembled them for me

Do you have any links or pre-order details on these you could share? I'm leaning towards this option if I can confirm prices, availability etc as to when I could get them etc. Pricing will be interesting to see how it compares to having a second set of wheels.

Here is a thread that shows the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 in slightly larger sizes (265/40-21, 285/40-21) that will fit the Performance Model Y with 21" Uberturbine wheels.

What's the latest on All-Seasons for 21"

They show on America's tire as $368 for (2) front size 265/40-21 and $420 for (2) rear size 285/40-21.

Here is another thread that shows the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tires in 21" OE size configuration as available to order (does not say where.)
MYP 21' Michelin Pilot AS4 Sizing

I have had my MYP for going on 18 months, didn't realize last weekend that the tires really shouldn't be used when it's cold last year (my bad!) so I'm looking to get a new wheel and tire package, while there are many threads across the internet on this it is a little perplexing so I was hoping for some discussion and advice.

I'm just impressed you made it through a NH winter alive with the stock 'P' tires..

The Pilot AS4 seems usable in snow but is probably not great. It is not Severe Snow rated like the Quatrac, which is one of the only all seasons in Tesla sizes that has the rating. By the way is it really showing in stock in NH?? Out west here it is backordered for a while. Don’t know why they can’t ship from the same warehouse as yours.

I bought a set of used Tesla rims, they had some minor road rash, and a set of used TPMS sensors. I had the rims repaired and powdercoated semigloss black. I put a set of Michelin X-Ice 3 tires on them, and I bought after market black lug nut covers for them. I have a floor jack and I’d made a set of wooden spacers so the jack doesn’t contact the battery housing. I think the only change I’d make is that I’d use a high gloss black powdercoat if doing it again. That black I used looks a little dingy even when clean.