Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All seasons in the summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Hi all, there is loads of info out there on summer tyres in the winter, and how summer, all season and winter's perform in various autumn through to Scandinavian conditions. All pretty predictable tbh.

But how are all season in the summer? What about on spirited drive - are they almost as good as the P4S, or do they collapse like summers do on snow?

Just watched this
, which is otherwise very informative, but although he takes everything for a drive round a snow circuit, he doesn't take everything round a summer condition race track (as a simulation of some fast B roads).

I used to have room to store a spare set of tyres, but currently don't, and am trying to decide if eg the all season P4's would be ok all year on my P-, or if I still need to have summers + all season combo to match the Scottish central belt winter weather?

Thanks for any opinions or links!

My question is how is the rolling resistance compared to summer tyres? I don't want to give up any range.

I've driven winters in summer weather and there was no noticeable range issue. In normal driving I was also surprised to discover that the performance of the tyre doesn't fall apart in the way I was expecting. If you were pushing the tyres close to the limits then obviously they are unlikely to be anywhere near a sporty summer tyre but that experience leads me to think that a good all season like a Cross Climate 2 could be a very acceptable year round compromise.

[Keep you're eye on that TyreReviews Youtube channel ... excellent information available there.]

Keen to hear any views on this as well. I drive to rural bits of the north of Scotland fairly regularly.

Considering the Michelin CrossClimate 2s for my M3 LR.

I used to do winter/summer swaps on the old car, and while the winter tyres were fantastic (Nokian WR D4 I think), the cost and hassle of swapping puts me off for the Tesla. Also there may be other practical problems. The one time I got a puncture with the winter tyres, Kwik Fit refused to fix or replace it, unless I replaced the pair on that axle. Apparently it was their policy not to deal with winter tyres.

I've driven winters in summer weather and there was no noticeable range issue. In normal driving I was also surprised to discover that the performance of the tyre doesn't fall apart in the way I was expecting. If you were pushing the tyres close to the limits then obviously they are unlikely to be anywhere near a sporty summer tyre but that experience leads me to think that a good all season like a Cross Climate 2 could be a very acceptable year round compromise.

[Keep you're eye on that TyreReviews Youtube channel ... excellent information available there.]
I guess sticking a set of Cross Climate 2's on or PS AW and seeing how it goes would be a good call. My old winters made it very clear when it was time to switch back, so if the all seasons don't get to that stage they are acceptable to your individual needs.

Still weird no one has done the other half of the comparison!

I thought the problem with winter tyres in the summer was that they wore out quicker - hence it's a cost issue and doesn't really need testing.
And they are much more meh. On the old car, for all the extra acceleration and stopping authority they gave me, they were noticeably only so so on a corner (from a 'driving' perspective, not grip). And as they start to warm in the spring that so-so starts to get worse. They were more comfortable, but significantly lacked outright grip once it got warm. Come spring, the same sense of improved stance the winters brought in autumn is repeated when switching back to summers - oh, this is what grip feels like!

You can't really compare all seasons with the PS4S because it's such a good summer tyre, but I've driven Nokian all seasons and winters all year round on a couple of cars and although they're a bit more wobbly, as long as you restrain yourself you won't be flying off into a hedge.
There are now some superb UHP all season and winter tyres which will be a lot better than any of them from a few years ago. The tyre reviews YT channel and website is really useful for this sort of thing so suggest you do some research there.

I’m about to replace my factory fit summers for the Pirelli all season sf2 subject to my supplier finding a set of four. Failing that I’m going for the CCs which are available to order rather than in stock.
The Pirellis’ (according to test reviews) are quieter, lower rolling resistance and more comfortable than the stock factory fit summers and the CC2s. I’m not interested in longevity only performance. While not the best in the wet they are a very close second.
I’ll report back either way in a few months time when Ive covered a few k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avendit
Further to my post yesterday, Pirelli cinturato all season sf2 are not available although made in 235,45,18, there’s a national shortage apparently. Also not recommended for some EVs especially teslas due to the high torque.
Arranged to have cc2s fitted on Wednesday, so I’ll report back later.

Reactions: MrT3
Prior attempts to get more winter orientated tyres has always drawn a blank unless getting then right at the start of the winter season. When we got our Model 3 at the end of a September, I quickly enquired with tesla about the winter options and was pleasantly surprised when they could supply relatively quickly. It seems (was actually told this by a supplier) like the tyre suppliers have limited winter stock at start of season and when its gone, its gone until next cold weather season. I don't know if similar happens with other cold weather tyres such as all seasons but certainly supply problems for Winter tyres during winter months is not a new thing.

Hopefully the Michelin PS AS's become available in UK on 18" as they look a great compromise. But I can't see us having to replace our winters for many years so probably not an issue for a few years.

Reactions: init6
Further to my post yesterday, Pirelli cinturato all season sf2 are not available although made in 235,45,18, there’s a national shortage apparently. Also not recommended for some EVs especially teslas due to the high torque.
Arranged to have cc2s fitted on Wednesday, so I’ll report back later.
CC2s fitted yesterday. Initial subjective reaction are they deffinately seem both quieter and more comfortable than the stock PS4.
I did a non scientific noise test using a app on my phone. On my way to have the tyres changed I drove a section of the A460 toward & from Cannock, approx half a mile in each direction. I did exactly the same run at the same speed with the CC2s a couple of hours later. This is a fairly rough surface well worn tarmac but I avoided all ruts & holes.
PS4: 41psi 50mph, average noise level 67.4db. The average being registered by the app, not my calculation.
CC2: 40 psi 50mph, average noise level 64.6db.
In both cases the phone lay on the central console forward of the tray & armrest.
The comfort feeling is the CC2s are softer, damping ridges & ruts better than the PS4, while driving a route of 14 miles each way I drive every Tuesday & Thursday & consists of a wide range of different surfaces including the newer super smooth quiete tarmac.