Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All seasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. Checked my vin w tesla and they say it will be summer tires despite a northeast pickup. Is that true or is rep wrong?

If summer tires then will definitely have to swap. I have winter tires from my old y but no rims. Can i buy a set if 19 in geminis and tpms and just mount to perf y. I know says not compatible but ive seen threads saying its ok to use non staggered geminis before but making sure itll be fine w winter tires. Or is there another alternative I should consider?

I am running 19" wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires on my MYP year round here in NJ and am very happy with the setup. Now that the Michelin CrossClimate 2 comes in the correct size, I will probably get those next time around.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I am running 19" wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires on my MYP year round here in NJ and am very happy with the setup. Now that the Michelin CrossClimate 2 comes in the correct size, I will probably get those next time around.
Love michelin cc2 on our x. Didnt realize they come in the sizes for y. Maybe will consider this at tire swap

Question: why do people so desperately want the all seasons?

I simply didnt want to have to deal with swapping out wheels seasonally. Where I live gets a few feet of snow a year, but nothing that really requires dedicated winter/chains. As a result, there is maybe a day or two a year I simply dont drive due to the weather conditions.

I use snows religiously on every car, but now that I work from home, I'd prefer the A/S tires on the Y so I can still use the car safely in the winter when the roads are clear. I can use our other vehicle with snows when the roads are bad. But with Pirelli summer tires, the Y wouldn't be useful at all in the winter, so I'm hoping mine comes with the Michelins in August.

They're also a slightly more comfortable and quieter tire.

If I get summers on mine, I'll just blow through them and get a set of Michelins "cheap" through my tire business. I'd rather not have to, though.

I simply didnt want to have to deal with swapping out wheels seasonally. Where I live gets a few feet of snow a year, but nothing that really requires dedicated winter/chains. As a result, there is maybe a day or two a year I simply dont drive due to the weather conditions.
Toronto and NY get similar amounts of snow. The general recommendation is always to get winter tires here. In all my gas cars I've had a set of summers or all seasons and then a set of dedicated winters.

Is that not needed anymore with Tesla or EV cars in general? The added weight should help traction.

Toronto and NY get similar amounts of snow. The general recommendation is always to get winter tires here. In all my gas cars I've had a set of summers or all seasons and then a set of dedicated winters.

Is that not needed anymore with Tesla or EV cars in general? The added weight should help traction.
Snow tires definitely are needed on EVs if you're going to drive in significant amounts of snow. The braking distance with snow tires is drastically reduced over A/S tires, and you are much safer in a panic stop or swerve situation. I don't even care if my cars have AWD in the winter when using snows - it's not a problem with FWD and RWD. I had a RWD VW ID.4 with Pirelli snow tires and it was excellent in NY snow storms. Braking is the main reason I get snows.

Reactions: Umar96
Snow tires definitely are needed on EVs if you're going to drive in significant amounts of snow. The braking distance with snow tires is drastically reduced over A/S tires, and you are much safer in a panic stop or swerve situation. I don't even care if my cars have AWD in the winter when using snows - it's not a problem with FWD and RWD. I had a RWD VW ID.4 with Pirelli snow tires and it was excellent in NY snow storms. Braking is the main reason I get snows.
That's my thinking as well. I've always had a dedicated set of winters. But on this forum it seems like everyone is chasing the all seasons and I can't understand why.

My initial thought was to ask for performance summer tires to get the best summer performance (0-60 and handling). Then when it starts snowing and it's time to drive a bit safer, put on a set of winters.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Question: why do people so desperately want the all seasons?
The Performance Model Y comes with 21" wheels. There is a very limited selection of all-season and winter tires available for the OE tire size 255/35R-21 (Front) and 275/35R-21 (Rear.) The summer performance tires are not suitable for temperatures below 45F (7C) whether on snow covered roads or dry roads. The rubber compound becomes too hard at lower temperatures and traction suffers. Summer tires can even be damaged from being driven in low temperatures (I've never seen an example of this happening.)

If your Performance Model Y comes with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 ultra high performance all-season tires you don't have to immediately purchase different wheels (19" or 18") and separate winter or all-season tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires may be all that you need depending on your location.

Reasons why you might want dedicated winter wheels and winter tires include more sidewall to survive encounters with pot holes and shorter stopping distances on snow and ice.