Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• New SR+ Range.JPG
    New SR+ Range.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 14,172
Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, very interesting.... so either that means Tesla can increase our 240 to a 265ish range, or they (obviously) can limit/reduce the 310/325 battery pack to 250+, i'm thinking the former not the latter. I would gladly pay them to increase my 240 to 265ish or more, in a heartbeat.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod and KenC
Beside the slight price adjustments to the Model 3 in mid October, I also noticed a slight increase in Model 3 Standard Range Plus's EPA range estimate.

It increased from 240 miles (386 km) to 250 miles (402 km). ~ 4% increase

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

View attachment 466991

The first thing someone who takes delivery of one of these things should do is measure the consumption and charging constants. The baseline for the existing SR+ is 209Wh/rmi (discharge) and 219Wh/rmi (charging)

The original SR+ was voluntarily down rated to 240 EPA from 247 EPA miles as I recall, so a small efficiency improvement would be all that is needed to get it to 250 EPA miles.

However, if the battery is the same one, that will mean that the constants would necessarily need to be smaller for everything to work out. (Which would sort of be ok if it is more efficient at doing work, as long as it is also more efficient at higher loading at 70-80mph highway speeds - because that is where people care about the range.)

Another thing to do would be to look up the submitted EPA documents and see if there is an updated test result for the SR+...

Last edited:
What do you mean by discharge and charging rates, and where are those numbers from? I always thought that 219 Wh/mi was the EPA rating for driving the car.
What he means by that is that there are two measures for calculation. The EPA rating is the same for both, but the total capacity is different for charging and discharging due to a buffer being calculated in full when charging and being hidden below 0% when driving.

I have explained this in my post and video.
Battery Degradation and Rated Range explained

When you charge the car to full, or whatever the BMS thinks is full, the car calculates the range on screen like so.

kWh full capacity /EPA constant in kWh

This is the formula used.

However, when you start discharging the car(driving, idling, etc.) the car pushes a buffer of roughly 3.5kWh below the 0%/0miles mark.

So the discharge formula is now

Full capacity - buffer / EPA constant in kWh

So in effect what this does is, you end up having only 95-96% of the rated range, from 0-100%.
So in effect if you wish to drive the rated range you have to go below the EPA rated consumption (straight line in your Energy consumption graph)

So if you take his values,219 and 209, the difference is almost exactly 95.5-96% of the EPA rated range, which is the size of the buffer which miraculously goes below the 0 mile once you unplug the car.

I explained this in my video post I linked, make sure to watch it to understand where the data comes from.

And since the WLTP rating never changed and it is highly, highly, very highly unlikely that Tesla just decided to add a kWh or two extra and change the production line, they just decided to adjust the EPA rating displayed to you. It is just marketing as someone mentioned, the battery size/gas tank is the same. Which means that if you drive at the EPA rated consumption you will still get only 225-230 miles out of 0-100%

Last edited:
What is annoying is that my Medium range (11 months old) now has a range of 247 miles on a full charge (originally 264miles). I'm not sure what Tesla has done with the software, but this drop in range occurred I think when I received software version 2019.28.3.1. Perhaps this "new" SR+ is just the MR with the new software limit of 250 miles?

Last edited:
What is annoying is that my Medium range (11 months old) now has a range of 247 miles on a full charge (originally 264miles). I'm not sure what Tesla has done with the software, but this drop in range occurred when I received software version 2019.28.3.1. Perhaps this "new" SR+ is just the MR with the new software limit of 250 miles?

Yeah, if this is true, I'm a bit annoyed. So, now my MR is equivalent to a SR+? That'll kill resale value.

I'm at 252 on a full charge @ 9500 miles. I suppose that's in line with normal if it doesn't drop any more, but still.

Reactions: SJC3
Not complaining... but the 240 number means nothing... Can you actually get 240 miles out of it? I can't, and I'm a lite-foot who wants to hyper mile when possible.

Just back from beautiful fall road trip, 1100 miles, averaged 252 Wh/mi, my lifetime is 241 which obv includes a lot of slow-speed local driving. The car is 'rated' at 225 IIRC, so in real world driving, you're off by 12% or a 214 max from 100%, from 90 to 10, you're looking at 171 best-case effective range in an SR+.

Adding 10 miles to this nets you 7 miles. Neat and cool and I'd love to say my Model 3 gets 250 miles, but it gets 171, or maybe 178...

FTR, I was traveling from NJ to a hotel with charger in DC - 206 highway miles. Topped it up to 100% early in the AM and set out with a full battery. From the minute I pulled onto the highway a few miles from my house, it was telling me I had to go 65 MPH to make it, then 60, then 55...

Not upset, I knew it would be a stretch, but it would have been so nice to pull into the hotel with 3%... Ended up taking a quick hit along the route towards the end of the trip. The Model 3 SR/+ is not a 200 mile car in real world driving. Saying 250 vs 240 means nothing.

What do you mean by discharge and charging rates, and where are those numbers from? I always thought that 219 Wh/mi was the EPA rating for driving the car.

For every 209Wh you see used on the trip meter, one rated mile will click off (you can verify for yourself - multiply miles * Wh/mi on the trip meter, travel far enough to see this number equal 2.09kWh or 20.9kWh (not 2.19kWh or 21.9kWh!)... you you’ll see 10 or 100 rated miles less, respectively, than when you started).

For every 219Wh you see added on the charge screen, one rated mile will be added to your range.

Last edited:
According to Bjorn, a recent update changed the Wh/mile/km constant from about 149 Wh/km to 144 Wh/km. This could account for the range "number" increase without any actual battery or efficiency improvements. But who knows, perhaps Tesla did find a way to tweak efficiency a bit.

I think he discovers/mentions it in this video:

complaining
Hmmm, not sure why this post is relevant if you're not complaining. BTW, plenty of people have lifetimes under 200wh/mi. If you're not getting this, it's you, not the car. It's not difficult to achieve this during 99percent of circumstances (any time where outside temps are between 20-90 degs Fahrenheit), assuming getting more range is what is important to you.

Not complaining... but the 240 number means nothing... Can you actually get 240 miles out of it? I can't, and I'm a lite-foot who wants to hyper mile when possible.

Just back from beautiful fall road trip, 1100 miles, averaged 252 Wh/mi, my lifetime is 241 which obv includes a lot of slow-speed local driving. The car is 'rated' at 225 IIRC, so in real world driving, you're off by 12% or a 214 max from 100%, from 90 to 10, you're looking at 171 best-case effective range in an SR+.

Adding 10 miles to this nets you 7 miles. Neat and cool and I'd love to say my Model 3 gets 250 miles, but it gets 171, or maybe 178...

FTR, I was traveling from NJ to a hotel with charger in DC - 206 highway miles. Topped it up to 100% early in the AM and set out with a full battery. From the minute I pulled onto the highway a few miles from my house, it was telling me I had to go 65 MPH to make it, then 60, then 55...

Not upset, I knew it would be a stretch, but it would have been so nice to pull into the hotel with 3%... Ended up taking a quick hit along the route towards the end of the trip. The Model 3 SR/+ is not a 200 mile car in real world driving. Saying 250 vs 240 means nothing.

Tesla Bjorn was able to squeeze 240 miles and said he could get 250 miles in his SR+ range test.

Hmmm, not sure why this post is relevant if you're not complaining. BTW, plenty of people have lifetimes under 200wh/mi. If you're not getting this, it's you, not the car. It's not difficult to achieve this during 99percent of circumstances (any time where outside temps are between 20-90 degs Fahrenheit), assuming getting more range is what is important to you.

In my case, I know it's me, I have the P3D- but still only getting 298wh/mi. In my MR, I was getting only 274wh/mi. Since I don't drive far to work, I tend to enjoy the acceleration any chance I get. lol