Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wonder if this will only exasperate the issues many are having with clicking CV joints.
One does have to wonder of much margin Telsa designed into those original drivetrain components, as they continuously work to add more power to their cars. Perhaps they had the foresight/understanding and over-designed the original components paired with the original power outputs? Perhaps not, and if that is the case, one expect a lot more "clicking".

It's already confirmed in 12.4, which some early access and people in China already have (about 0.3%). Majority are on 12.2 right now and about 20% are on 12.3. If things go well, I'd say in 2-3 weeks maybe.

The new features are not include in update 2019.32.12.4 a3dc21e.

My car received the OTA 2019.32.12.4 a3dc21e update on 10/23 and it's just another V10 bug fix.

Elaborate?

when it’s below freezing and the road is ice covered, I set regen to low because otherwise there are times that I lose control when regen fully ramps up and locks up the wheels on the ice.

But this is mostly a residential streets issue because they’re a lower priority than the bigger roads, which are cleaned much sooner. On main thoroughfares, or highways, regen is almost always what I want, and it’s more useful at higher speeds anyway.

What I would propose then, is that when I step on the brakes rather than coasting, my regen would ramp up rather than using friction. This way, I’m safely in control everywhere and still able to maximize regen. Friction would obviously need to kick in eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I think that blending the friction and regen is the biggest challenge there.
Regen varies and cannot be allowed to lock the tires so you would need the software to be able to vary regen like ABS or just turn it off altogether and switch instantly and seamlessly to friction.

when it’s below freezing and the road is ice covered, I set regen to low because otherwise there are times that I lose control when regen fully ramps up and locks up the wheels on the ice.

But this is mostly a residential streets issue because they’re a lower priority than the bigger roads, which are cleaned much sooner. On main thoroughfares, or highways, regen is almost always what I want, and it’s more useful at higher speeds anyway.

What I would propose then, is that when I step on the brakes rather than coasting, my regen would ramp up rather than using friction. This way, I’m safely in control everywhere and still able to maximize regen. Friction would obviously need to kick in eventually.
Which vehicle (S,X,3) and configuration (RWD, AWD)?

Which tires too.

Never came close to "losing" control with AWD Model 3 and Snow tires with Regen on Standard.
I never felt the need to put it in low regen all, New England (NH, MA), Winter long.

It's probably because you have snow tires and drive more conservative maybe? Try doing so with summer tires or all season tires, and drive fast, and the car will slide in the same conditions.

Doing so with summer tires with the Model 3 Performance when there was snow falling but not sticking (33-34 degrees F) definitely slid the car. Low regen setting fixed it (or just feather the go pedal better to not induce regen in large amount and drive slower). Ask me how I know. ;-)

Reactions: mswlogo
Didn't want to HAVE to buy new tires and wheels a month after I bought the car..plus A/S tires are perfectly fine for 95% of my driving. IMO YMMV, etc. Also, "switching to winter tires" only addresses one of the three issues I have with the tires that come on the PUP P3D (still poor wearing and still have high(er) rolling resistance...I drive 72 miles a day for my commute, I don't want either of those things).

So does anyone actually have the update, and if so, any preliminary butt dyno results? For any version... But I'm specifically interested in P3D :)

I don't have the update yet, otherwise I'd share too

FYI 5% increase from original power upgrade... Plus 5% again should be: 450hp > 473hp > 496hp

Last edited:
So does anyone actually have the update, and if so, any preliminary butt dyno results? For any version... But I'm specifically interested in P3D :)

I don't have the update yet, otherwise I'd share too

FYI 5% increase from original power upgrade... Plus 5% again should be: 450hp > 473hp > 496hp

It'll probably be in line with the previous increase, but better for the P. Now that the graph is just for the non-P AWD: FW 2019.8.3 actually increased Model 3 AWD peak power by 8% above 45 mph (70 km/h) : teslamotors and Model 3 AWD Power vs. Speed (with bonus P3D) : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako