TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Hut, Oct 16, 2019.

1. groovyd

groovyd Member

wonder if this will only exasperate the issues many are having with clicking CV joints.

2. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

One does have to wonder of much margin Telsa designed into those original drivetrain components, as they continuously work to add more power to their cars. Perhaps they had the foresight/understanding and over-designed the original components paired with the original power outputs? Perhaps not, and if that is the case, one expect a lot more "clicking".

3. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

It's already confirmed in 12.4, which some early access and people in China already have (about 0.3%). Majority are on 12.2 right now and about 20% are on 12.3. If things go well, I'd say in 2-3 weeks maybe.

• Like x 1
  4. firebird8302

firebird8302 Member

The new features are not include in update 2019.32.12.4 a3dc21e.

My car received the OTA 2019.32.12.4 a3dc21e update on 10/23 and it's just another V10 bug fix.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Elaborate?

6. mmccking

mmccking Member

BTW, my 2015 BMW i3 used physical braking to come to a complete stop. It was very seamless. You can hear them grip when the pads were wet.

7. DigAdrenaline

DigAdrenaline Member

when it’s below freezing and the road is ice covered, I set regen to low because otherwise there are times that I lose control when regen fully ramps up and locks up the wheels on the ice.

But this is mostly a residential streets issue because they’re a lower priority than the bigger roads, which are cleaned much sooner. On main thoroughfares, or highways, regen is almost always what I want, and it’s more useful at higher speeds anyway.

What I would propose then, is that when I step on the brakes rather than coasting, my regen would ramp up rather than using friction. This way, I’m safely in control everywhere and still able to maximize regen. Friction would obviously need to kick in eventually.

• Informative x 1
  8. Feathermerchan

I think that blending the friction and regen is the biggest challenge there.
    Regen varies and cannot be allowed to lock the tires so you would need the software to be able to vary regen like ABS or just turn it off altogether and switch instantly and seamlessly to friction.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Which vehicle (S,X,3) and configuration (RWD, AWD)?

10. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Which tires too.

Never came close to "losing" control with AWD Model 3 and Snow tires with Regen on Standard.
    I never felt the need to put it in low regen all, New England (NH, MA), Winter long.

11. hoang51

hoang51 Member

It's probably because you have snow tires and drive more conservative maybe? Try doing so with summer tires or all season tires, and drive fast, and the car will slide in the same conditions.

Doing so with summer tires with the Model 3 Performance when there was snow falling but not sticking (33-34 degrees F) definitely slid the car. Low regen setting fixed it (or just feather the go pedal better to not induce regen in large amount and drive slower). Ask me how I know. ;-)

• Like x 1
  12. SleeperService

^ This right here is why I bought the Stealth P3D instead of the PUP P3D...those tires are completely inappropriate for my driving 90% of the time [useless in winter, fast wearing, and poor rolling resistance]...I'm sure they are great on the track though!

13. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

but that's why you switch to winter tires in winter?

14. SleeperService

Didn't want to HAVE to buy new tires and wheels a month after I bought the car..plus A/S tires are perfectly fine for 95% of my driving. IMO YMMV, etc. Also, "switching to winter tires" only addresses one of the three issues I have with the tires that come on the PUP P3D (still poor wearing and still have high(er) rolling resistance...I drive 72 miles a day for my commute, I don't want either of those things).

15. Marc Roberts

Marc Roberts Member

It may exacerbate them... sorry to be *that* guy :p

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  16. lozza

lozza Member

#316 lozza, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    So does anyone actually have the update, and if so, any preliminary butt dyno results? For any version... But I'm specifically interested in P3D :)

I don't have the update yet, otherwise I'd share too

FYI 5% increase from original power upgrade... Plus 5% again should be: 450hp > 473hp > 496hp

17. hoang51

hoang51 Member

It'll probably be in line with the previous increase, but better for the P. Now that the graph is just for the non-P AWD: FW 2019.8.3 actually increased Model 3 AWD peak power by 8% above 45 mph (70 km/h) : teslamotors and Model 3 AWD Power vs. Speed (with bonus P3D) : teslamotors

• Informative x 1
  18. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Exacerbate sounds like a dirty word.

Has anyone tested 0-60 times with the new update?

19. Zcd1

Zcd1 Member

Update hasn’t been released yet.

20. hydro 481

hydro 481 Member

Oh I thought I read an article that mentioned some owners already received it.